04-20-2018, 07:03 AM
User Info
 04-21-2018, 09:18 AM
User Info
Gents,

Lucky 7! Seventh SR shave. I set small goals today: I wanted to improve my shaves around mustache and jawline. Very pleased with the results! I'm slowly getting more comfortable yielding a sharp blade around my face, even with my left hand. I have noticed that my left hand sometimes has trouble maintaining correct angle. I just need to remind myself of this. All SR for this shave, all directions. I did use a DE to sharpen up my sideburns...still need to improve using a SR to do this. Possibly my next goal? No irritation, no AS burn. I'll keep up with setting small, manageable goals. The best way to go about learning IMHO.

Have a great weekend,

Sanjay

3 109
 04-21-2018, 09:33 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Sanjay,

Good show, my friend. You're doing well. That you switch hands is something for which you will be grateful as time goes on. Switching hands increases your field of vision and gives you more flexibility. The best way to train your non-dominant hand is to use it for the mundane activities: opening drawers, brushing your teeth, and so on. After all these years, I still use my left hand, the non-dominant, for many of the mundane activities. Keep the muscles in shape, is what I say. Stay with it.

176 3,608
 04-21-2018, 10:46 AM
User Info
(04-21-2018, 09:33 AM)Obie Wrote: Sanjay,

Good show, my friend. You're doing well. That you switch hands is something for which you will be grateful as time goes on. Switching hands increases your field of vision and gives you more flexibility. The best way to train your non-dominant hand is to use it for the mundane activities: opening drawers, brushing your teeth, and so on. After all these years, I still use my left hand, the non-dominant, for many of the mundane activities. Keep the muscles in shape, is what I say. Stay with it.

Thank you, Obie! Yes, the shaves are going well! Will start using my left hand more... good brain training. I appreciate your support!

Best,

Sanjay

3 109
 04-21-2018, 08:19 PM
User Info
(04-21-2018, 09:33 AM)Obie Wrote: Sanjay,

This is excellent advice Obie! I will try this myself. Similar to Sanjay I am on 7th SR Shave and definitely need to get better with my left hand!
One thing helps a lot and seems obvious, is to remind yourself as you use left hand to keep adjusting the angle and pressure.. really need to focus/aware of these two

20 880
 04-22-2018, 04:50 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Snowman,

Right you are. Focus is important in straight razor shaving, for after all, you're engaged with a naked blade that's killer sharp. Also, the straight razor is sassy, and the moment you let down your guard, it will bite you.

My motto is: comfort over perfect. It will take a while to have a perfect, or at least close to a perfect shave. So concentrate on comfort, especially around the mouth and chin areas, as well as on the neck. Nice and easy does it.

Finally, concentrate on your stropping. This is important. The proper stropping is essential. Keep  your daily strop pristine. Avoid pastes and all that other stuff. Give the leather component a hand rubdown (before taking your shower), about 15 seconds each hand. The natural oils from your hands will impart all the conditioner the leather needs.

There is nothing like a straight razor shave when everything is working right.

176 3,608
 04-22-2018, 05:30 AM
User Info
Obie,
Again awesome advice! Thank you very much Sir! Agree on everything you mentioned. Perfect starts to develop after a few shaves, comfort is much more important initially. Is amazing with every shave you can notice a little difference.
I am VERY glad you mentioned pastes and "stuff" as an inexperienced SR user I don't know any better, I almost bought a bunch of these things but didn't know what to get! I am glad I didn't, now I won't get anything... I am assuming you are excluding the chromium oxide from the pastes you do not recommend?
If so, how often do I take the razor to the pasted linen?
I have a modular strop with 3 strops; linen, rough leather (almost like suede) and English bridal. I usually only do 20 on rough leather and 50 on the English bridal

EDIT- my strop has a hard wool felt side NOT linen

20 880
 04-22-2018, 07:37 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Snowman,

Chromium Oxide (CrO) is meant for refreshing the edge when needed. For instance, when your razor starts tugging, or maybe once a month, give it seven to 10 strokes on the CrO, wipe the blade, then go to linen for about 25 strokes and leather about 50. You can do a 30/60 ratio or 50/100 on your daily, and pristine, strop. That's what I do.

In your case with the modular strop, I would put the CrO on the hard wool felt component — cover it with a medium coat of the CrO. Use the suede in place of linen with 25 strokes and the English Bridle component with 50. When I had my Kanayama (Kanoyama) cordovan strop, I always used the suede component in place of the linen and then on to the leather.

176 3,608
 04-22-2018, 09:39 AM
User Info
Got it! Thank you kind Sir for this detailed info. I will follow this process going forward

20 880
 04-25-2018, 10:27 PM
User Info
8th SR shave! I skipped a shave using the SR due to time constraints. I definitely wouldn’t want to rush using something so sharp. I used a new blade today with a different edge and really enjoyed the night shave. Getting better with my left hand...slowly getting more mind muscle connection forming. I used all SR all directions! I have noticed more ease of using a straight although I’m still taking my time. I would like to be able to shave faster, but nothing to rush...more time and practice is needed. I am still having some trouble seeing my sideburn line when starting the WTG pass... any tips or advice?

Cheers,

Sanjay

3 109
 04-26-2018, 02:25 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(04-25-2018, 10:27 PM)someghai Wrote: 8th SR shave! I skipped a shave using the SR due to time constraints. I definitely wouldn’t want to rush using something so sharp. I used a new blade today with a different edge and really enjoyed the night shave. Getting better with my left hand...slowly getting more mind muscle connection forming. I used all SR all directions! I have noticed more ease of using a straight although I’m still taking my time. I would like to be able to shave faster, but nothing to rush...more time and practice is needed. I am still having some trouble seeing my sideburn line when starting the WTG pass... any tips or advice?

Cheers,

Sanjay
Sanjay,
Speed will come with experience. Don't rush it. Enjoy every shave for what it is.
As for your sideburns, if you can't seem them — although you should be able to see them — use your stretching hand to feel where the edge of the sideburns is.

176 3,608
 04-27-2018, 10:10 AM
User Info
(04-26-2018, 02:25 AM)Obie Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 10:27 PM)someghai Wrote: 8th SR shave! I skipped a shave using the SR due to time constraints. I definitely wouldn’t want to rush using something so sharp. I used a new blade today with a different edge and really enjoyed the night shave. Getting better with my left hand...slowly getting more mind muscle connection forming. I used all SR all directions! I have noticed more ease of using a straight although I’m still taking my time. I would like to be able to shave faster, but nothing to rush...more time and practice is needed. I am still having some trouble seeing my sideburn line when starting the WTG pass... any tips or advice?

Cheers,

Sanjay
Sanjay,
Speed will come with experience. Don't rush it. Enjoy every shave for what it is.
As for your sideburns, if you can't seem them — although you should be able to see them — use your stretching hand to feel where the edge of the sideburns is.

Hi Obie,

Yes, I definitely like taking my time and doing a good job. I'll give your recommendation a try for the next shave. Perhaps it's just another transition that takes experience to get used to. I appreciate your advice, my friend.

Thank you,

Sanjay

3 109
 04-28-2018, 12:45 PM
User Info
Gents,

9th SR shave today! All SR, all directions. I feel that I have made some great improvements on maintaining the proper SR angle. Today was the first time that I felt very comfortable tracing the hollows of my neck and jawline. I felt connected to the SR in a great way that allowed me to adjust the angle as I moved between curved areas. I have notice that the left side of my face needs more touch ups due to my lack of dexterity with my left hand...but it has improved. I have also learned to shape my sideburns better... using different mirror angles. My skin has been feeling great too! I appreciate the support!

Cheers,

Sanjay

Soap: PAA CAD
AS: PAA Clubguy
Brush: RR synthetic 24mm
Blade: Solingen 210 13/16
Strop: 2 1/2” TM Steerhide with flax linen (new strop, very well made!)

3 109
 04-29-2018, 05:51 PM
User Info
Congrats, Sanjay!   You are a much faster learner than I am, and I would guess faster than most people.  Keep up the good work.

3 1,911
 04-30-2018, 12:59 PM
User Info
(04-29-2018, 05:51 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Congrats, Sanjay!   You are a much faster learner than I am, and I would guess faster than most people.  Keep up the good work.

Thank you, Sir. I feel that my experience with DE razors helped me learn SRs with less of transition problem. However, I am far from perfect and still have much to learn. I believe that passion, patience, and hard work will help one to achieve/learn anything.

3 109
 04-30-2018, 01:13 PM
User Info
Gents,

10th SR shave today! All SR. I tried something new on accident...My usual shaving pattern is (on face) WTG from N to S, then XTG from nose to ear, and ATG from S to N. I skip the XTG pass on my neck, but perform the rest. Not sure if XTG is possible on the neck? Well, I skipped the XTG pass on my face and went straight into ATG pass, on accident. However, the shave did not seem uncomfortable, but not as comfortable as my normal pattern. It's good to know that I can get results from a 2 pass shave. No irritation or AS burn. Shaving around my chin and jawline have become so much easier, blade angle is definitely key!! I remember my first shave was scary since I thought that I was surely going to slice up my chin. I don't push for BBS, I am going to let it come as I learn. I have learned to prefer comfortable over close, especially since in 2 days time I will be starting over from square one. I appreciate the support!

Cheers,

Sanjay

Soap: B&M Bay Rum
AS: B&M Bay Rum
Blade: Vintage Paul Schulze 6/8
Strop: 2 1/2” TM Steerhide with flax linen

3 109
 05-03-2018, 04:24 PM
User Info
Hello,

11th SR shave today. The biggest improvement with this shave was getting the hair around my jaw line. I have been focusing on skin stretching so that I don't have to worry about contouring the razor around the jawline. Rather, by using skin stretching techniques I am able to stretch that portion of skin to a flat surface above or below the jawline so that it is easier and more comfortable to shave. I have to admit that the chin still is an area that I struggle with, but I don't let it bother me. Comfortable shaves are my aim. No irritation or AS burn today. Another step closer! Enjoy your day, my friends!

Regards,

Sanjay

Soap: Caties Bubbles Celtic Knot
AS: Proraso Green
Blade: Solingen Super 210 13/16

3 109
 05-05-2018, 10:32 PM
User Info
Hello,

12th SR shave today. Probably my best shave yet!!! My lather was probably the biggest factor. It was dialed in just right...slick and no drying out. Also, the left side of my face was equal to my right...meaning that my left hand technique has improved also. Furthermore, I tried a different grip going ATG, which felt like it gave me better control of the razor. More control=more comfortable for me...this was very nice to find out. I did have a slight AS burn around my jawline and tip of chin...perhaps I used too much pressure? No irritation, though. Pretty stoked about this shave!

All the best,

Sanjay

Soap: Razorock Stalion
AS: Proraso Green
Blade: Schulze 6/8

3 109
 05-06-2018, 03:53 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Sanjay, my friend,

You are rocking. Good show. Keep working on switching hands. You'll thank yourself many shaves from now. Also, always be mindful of your angle and razor pressure. The straight razor is sassy, and the moment you let your guard down, it will bite you.
Stay with it. Remember this: comfort over perfect.

176 3,608
 05-06-2018, 07:20 AM
User Info
(05-06-2018, 03:53 AM)Obie Wrote: Sanjay, my friend,

You are rocking. Good show. Keep working on switching hands. You'll thank yourself many shaves from now. Also, always be mindful of your angle and razor pressure. The straight razor is sassy, and the moment you let your guard down, it will bite you.
Stay with it. Remember this: comfort over perfect.

Hi Obie,

I appreciate your support. Yes, I’ll keep reminding myself: comfort over perfect.

Regards,

Sanjay

3 109