04-01-2018, 08:35 PM
User Info
At the paralysis by analysis point in researching mattresses.  We would like something more forgiving for beat up 60 year old bones.

Whittled the choices down to two, Nolah or Saatva.

The Nolah is foam, the Saatva is spring.  

If you have one or know someone that does, thoughts, impressions or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

1 144
 04-01-2018, 09:50 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
In the last month I purchased the Mattress Firm Tulo foam mattress - replaced old spring mattress.  First morning my allergies were better and felt really rested.  If you have an 5 year old that enjoys jumping on the bed, get a spring mattress.  Otherwise foam - really happy with mine.

I also spent many hours of research - latex, memory foam, titanium infused foam, etc.  Still confused.  Going in to the store and trying a mattress was a big help for firmness.  Tulo was on sale!    I am guessing Nolah and several other top brands are excellent.  I recall a few brands always in the top ten lists.

My only comment is the edge on my foam mattress is less firm/supportive.  On a spring mattress, the 2-3" of the edge are rock solid, on my Tulo foam mattress, the 2-3 inches offer little support (sitting on the edge is the issue).  

FYI - chose Medium firmness and I have a platform bed with slats.  The 10" height is ideal - old spring mattress was 6-7" when new.  For aches and pains in the morning, I did have occasional issues before and none now, however, my old spring mattress was "old" and probably not a fair comparison to a new foam mattress.

8 597
 04-02-2018, 06:42 AM
User Info
I normally get $50.00 an hour for advice......but today it's free... Smile
I had the same problem, with sever complications due to multiple back ,leg and hip issues.
I went air, infinite adjustments. Comfort level can be changed based upon daily needs...... Thumbup
I've had it for 5-6 years now. Mine has bladders for both sides, great if you have a sleeping partner.

0 396
 04-02-2018, 05:35 PM
User Info
Tulo seems to be the only 'mattress in a box' you can try out before you buy and we do have a store about 40 minutes or so near here!  Since firmness seems to be the issue now we'll be uh, laying around on the three different beds sometime this week.

Same town has a Sleep Number too!

Appreciate the tips...

1 144
 04-02-2018, 09:25 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Worth the effort to try a mattress.  I was debating soft or medium before the store.  After testing, medium and possibly firm.  Sleep number is good option also.  

I lived by a Mattress Firm outlet store.  Had a Serta Blue Touch foam - really nice - half of retail or about $700.  I chose the $50 deluxe delivery and removal of old mattress.  Worth the price.

Expect to see in April acquisitions !!!!

8 597
 04-04-2018, 08:52 AM
User Info
who has time to sleep?
this thread will be like a favorite soap/brush/razor thread with many options.
I have sleep number, is there better, probably.

52 1,162
 04-04-2018, 03:11 PM
User Info
My concern with foam would be longevity.  I've heard of them getting considerably softer after a few years. That matches the experience I've had with memory foam pillows.

0 1,137
 04-04-2018, 03:18 PM
User Info
(04-01-2018, 08:35 PM)old school Wrote: At the paralysis by analysis point in researching mattresses.  We would like something more forgiving for beat up 60 year old bones.

Whittled the choices down to two, Nolah or Saatva.

The Nolah is foam, the Saatva is spring.  

If you have one or know someone that does, thoughts, impressions or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I just purchased the Silk and Snow memory foam mattress and love it.  I'm 65, bad back, side and back sleeper, and this mattress is perfect for me.  It's a solid medium on the firmness scale (5.5).  There are video reviews online, and I did a lot of research before going with it.  Do a search on YouTube and you'll find them.  Oh, and the price is good.

0 0
 04-04-2018, 03:40 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-04-2018, 03:11 PM)Shannon Wrote: My concern with foam would be longevity.  I've heard of them getting considerably softer after a few years. That matches the experience I've had with memory foam pillows.

When I was setting up my digs to welcome my bride moving in after my then-upcoming wedding at the end of 1971, I purchased a queen Beautyrest Foam mattress; that one held out for 26 years, until my widower father died early in 1998, when I inherited the queen Beautyrest Foam mattress that he had purchased (on my recommendation) four or five years earlier when his prior mattress had given out.  We have been using the second (mid-1990s era) Beautyrest Foam mattress since 1998.  It is mildly softened from its pristine state, but still is medium firm from edge-to-edge, with none at all of the artifacts of Norman Bates's mother's mattress.  Even as septuagenarians, we find it remains comfortable and have no immediate plans to replace it.

1 1,198
 05-02-2018, 12:44 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(04-04-2018, 03:40 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(04-04-2018, 03:11 PM)Shannon Wrote: My concern with foam would be longevity.  I've heard of them getting considerably softer after a few years. That matches the experience I've had with memory foam pillows.

When I was setting up my digs to welcome my bride moving in after my then-upcoming wedding at the end of 1971, I purchased a queen Beautyrest Foam mattress; that one held out for 26 years, until my widower father died early in 1998, when I inherited the queen Beautyrest Foam mattress that he had purchased (on my recommendation) four or five years earlier when his prior mattress had given out.  We have been using the second (mid-1990s era) Beautyrest Foam mattress since 1998.  It is mildly softened from its pristine state, but still is medium firm from edge-to-edge, with none at all of the artifacts of Norman Bates's mother's mattress.  Even as septuagenarians, we find it remains comfortable and have no immediate plans to replace it.
A huge two thumbs up for Beautyrest Foam-built mattresses! We inherited a Cal King from my in laws and though new to us it has not been new since 2000. 18 years on it and this feels like a brand new bed!

We are loving our 'New' Bed!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

82 1,627
 05-11-2018, 06:42 AM
User Info
I own a tempurpedic and it is the best money I have ever spent.

0 288
 06-14-2018, 06:43 PM
User Info
A couple of years ago my wife was experiencing a lot of low back pain.  She was a trooper, did not complain much, but I could see it in the way she moved and sat.  On a hunch, I decided to surprise her by replacing our old mattress with a Leesa foam mattress.  She came home one day and it was a done deal.  The surprise out to be a home run.  Her back felt much better after just a couple of days.  To this daty she describes the difference as "life changing".  

So far the mattress seems pretty much as firm as when we got it.

2 23
 06-14-2018, 08:05 PM
User Info
nostromo:

We ended up with a TULO from Mattress Firm in soft, our first foam.  Life changing were precisely my words for this new fangled foam thing as well.  It's one of those Facepalm  moments, why did we wait so long!

1 144
 06-15-2018, 05:43 AM
User Info
I think that foam mattresses is the way of the future.  They are just THAT much more comfortable and last longer.  We bought a knock off foam mattress from mattress warehouse for our guest room and the in laws love it.

0 288
 06-15-2018, 06:44 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
(06-14-2018, 08:05 PM)old school Wrote: We ended up with a TULO from Mattress Firm in soft, our first foam.  Life changing were precisely my words for this new fangled foam thing as well.  It's one of those Facepalm  moments, why did we wait so long!

Good choice.   I even found some nice made in Portugal linen sheets on sale to go with the mattress.

Can I assume the next thread will be on pillows?

8 597
 06-15-2018, 07:46 AM
  • BigT
User Info
I've had a Tempurpedic mattress for about 4 years. I'm 6'5"@235 and there is absolutely no evidence of deformation of the mattress, no depression anywhere. This was a custom made California King size to fit my Oakwood Interiors waterbed frame. Being that the frame rails are 2.5" thick, I don't sit on the edge of the mattress, but, I doubt there would be any depression there as well. It'a a firm mattress with the top two layers being "cooling" foam. It takes a little while for the foam scent to dissipate, took mine about two weeks. Could have been from being newly manufactured. Took about 5 weeks to receive it from time of order. Has a removable, zip off and washable cover which has a mattress pad on top of that. Expensive? Yes. Seriously the best money I've spent in 30 years.

0 29
 06-15-2018, 07:51 AM
User Info
(06-15-2018, 06:44 AM)SCOV Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 08:05 PM)old school Wrote: We ended up with a TULO from Mattress Firm in soft, our first foam.  Life changing were precisely my words for this new fangled foam thing as well.  It's one of those Facepalm  moments, why did we wait so long!

Good choice.   I even found some nice made in Portugal linen sheets on sale to go with the mattress.

Pillows....Great idea!! You start. Thumbsup

0 396
 06-15-2018, 06:01 PM
User Info
(06-15-2018, 06:44 AM)SCOV Wrote:

SCOV: Your tastes in mattresses is superb and I could use some advice...

Mattress Firm threw in a couple shredded memory foam pillows.  My wife loves these, her old ones went on the guest bed.  They are nice I admit, but are too 'high' and give me THE neck ache.  Have two thin goose down's from Costco that became too flat, so I hand sewed them together one on top another and it's perfect.  But too old and probably scary under a microscope at this point.  

Please sir, yes spill the beans on pillows!

1 144