04-02-2018, 01:02 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
So, I have been checking the website for some time to no avail, but it occurred to me that I am not sure I even know what to order if I had the opportunity.  Can I please get some advice from those in the know?  

I currently use a Rockwell 6s on plate 3 and like it a lot.  Maybe it could be a tad more aggressive, say an imaginary plate 3.5.  I also use a Colonial General with a Feather Pro and get good results.  A few months back I was able to buy a Paradigm 17-4.  It gave me a very close shave and I really wanted to like it, but I often felt beat up.  It was just too much for me as I  am daily shaver.  I sold it.  

I have been thinking about a Wolfman.  What do you all recommend?  What blade gap?  What head.. I was thinking maybe a DC?  Also what material...the annodized ones look fancy?  Lastly, what handle?  I think the whr7 is beautiful but I like really grippy handles and maybe I would be better with the whr2?

18 520
 04-02-2018, 03:44 PM
User Info
After a 2 year wait, I finally purchased a stainless steel, solid bar, polished WR 1 with the standard blade gap (0.61).  As someone who has used the Rockwell 6 S since it's release, I can tell you that the standard Wolfman is more aggressive than a Rockwell on plate #4.  If you enjoy the Rockwell on plate 3, you should definitely order a reduced gap (0.54 or 0.48).  I am thinking of ordering or trading for the 0.54 myself.  Good luck with your purchase.

1 180
 04-02-2018, 04:53 PM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(04-02-2018, 03:44 PM)GoHabs Wrote: After a 2 year wait, I finally purchased a stainless steel, solid bar, polished WR 1 with the standard blade gap (0.61).  As someone who has used the Rockwell 6 S since it's release, I can tell you that the standard Wolfman is more aggressive than a Rockwell on plate #4.  If you enjoy the Rockwell on plate 3, you should definitely order a reduced gap (0.54 or 0.48).  I am thinking of ordering or trading for the 0.54 myself.  Good luck with your purchase.

So, what are you guessing the .54 will be equal to in Rockwell terms?

18 520
 04-02-2018, 05:03 PM
User Info
I'd like to help, but I've not used a Rockwell. What I can say, is I don't feel much difference in feel between a .61 and .74 aside from being a little more efficient. I have also used a .54, and it was just too mild for my preferences.

7 357
 04-02-2018, 05:30 PM
User Info
(04-02-2018, 04:53 PM)NJDJ Wrote:
(04-02-2018, 03:44 PM)GoHabs Wrote: After a 2 year wait, I finally purchased a stainless steel, solid bar, polished WR 1 with the standard blade gap (0.61).  As someone who has used the Rockwell 6 S since it's release, I can tell you that the standard Wolfman is more aggressive than a Rockwell on plate #4.  If you enjoy the Rockwell on plate 3, you should definitely order a reduced gap (0.54 or 0.48).  I am thinking of ordering or trading for the 0.54 myself.  Good luck with your purchase.

I'm hoping that the 0.54 is similar to the #4 Rockwell.  Perhaps someone who owns both can comment?

1 180
 04-15-2018, 09:11 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I think the .61 is more equal in terms of efficiency and feel to the Rockwell plate #3, but that may be because of my technique as I hold the angle a bit higher.  I prefer the .61 base-plate to the Rockwell #3, but can get BBS in 3 passes from either razor.  My Rockwell is the Chrome version, in case that makes a difference.

I'll tell you honestly that the Wolfman just feels better in terms of blade to face feel and overall shave.  It is one of the only razors I can go ATG on my neck without any irritation.  The WRH7 handle is a work of art and is plenty grippy.  Mine is brushed SS.  I also tried the WRH2, but prefer the style of the WRH7 to that.

I'll tell you...the Stork EX3 in Titanium fits wonderfully with the WR1 head, and makes the razor a ton easier to use, is lighter, and so grippy you'd have a hard time dropping it, IMO. 

If you want the same face feel the .61 won't be the wrong choice, but you will feel the blade on your face...if you "prefer" a milder 'razor on the face' feeling then get the .54 plate.  It is in demand and you can trade for it later, if you desire.  BUT - James can adjust your .61 plate to a .54 if you decide that's what you want to do, so don't think that if you buy the .61 you'll be stuck with it.

Good luck.  If you can get one, then do.  The WR1 SB or OC is a fantastic razor, and well worth the asking price!

80 1,575
 04-16-2018, 07:29 PM
User Info
I use a Rockwell on 4 myself and really like the shave.  I have 2 Wolfman razors:

WR1-OC .74mm Gap Polished Stainless Steel with Polished Stainless Steel Darwin Handle 
 WR1-DC .61mm Gap Light Blue Anodized Ti Razor with WRH7 Ti Handle 

I find they are different in how they feel and the gap difference is tougher to isolate with the significant difference in weight.  I had the Stainless first, then the Ti.  I bought the smaller gap on the Ti because I feared I might have a tendency to apply pressure due to the overall lightness.  I also really liked the feeling of the OC teeth, but wanted to try a SB head.  I knew I would probably never buy 2 Ti razors, so I went with the DC.  

The first and easiest thing I can recommend is the Darwin handle.  At first I was not sure of the grip, but found after a few shaves that my fingers really worked well with the contour and curves.  It feels just right the way the bottom flares out and the positions of my pinky and ring finger.  I also think if you like the deco style, nobody machines and polishes a version better then James.

As for the materials and gap, this is tough.  I think it just comes down to personal preference in weight.  If you like heavier, the stainless polished with an OC head is what I would select.  After using the Ti, it feels like a precision instrument because I use a very delicate touch.  With that said, I think I like the SB side better then the OC in this material.  With less weight, I feel the teeth less and prefer the smoothness of the SB.  Wolfman razors use a smaller then typical tooth profile, that on the polished SS, kind of feels like a mini massage on the face.  I think I made the right call with the smaller gap on the lighter razor.  I'd say the SS is easier to shave with because of my technique, but I really like the Ti because it looks great in blue and probably because it is newer.  I also like the deliberate, yet light technique I use with it.

As for gap, I think the .61-.74 range is close to probably a 4 on the Rockwell.  Like I said, to me the .61 feels more aggressive on the Ti then the .74 on the stainless.  It all comes down to your technique and how you handle the weight difference.  Note that these are all "fine tuning" type differences and that both are without flaw and superb shavers.  I'd select the material first, then the gap for the way I shave.  I hope that helps. 
Steve

0 756
 04-16-2018, 07:56 PM
  • iamsms
  • The Patient Disciple
  • New Jersey
User Info
(04-02-2018, 05:30 PM)GoHabs Wrote:
(04-02-2018, 04:53 PM)NJDJ Wrote:

I'm hoping that the 0.54 is similar to the #4 Rockwell.  Perhaps someone who owns both can comment?

0.54 is more like 3.5 ( I have been using 0.54 since April 4). But so far, I find Rockwell to be a smother shaver while Wolfman definitely is the better looking one.

4 75
 04-17-2018, 03:05 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(04-16-2018, 07:29 PM)Smooth Steve Wrote: I use a Rockwell on 4 myself and really like the shave.  I have 2 Wolfman razors:

WR1-OC .74mm Gap Polished Stainless Steel with Polished Stainless Steel Darwin Handle 
 WR1-DC .61mm Gap Light Blue Anodized Ti Razor with WRH7 Ti Handle 

I find they are different in how they feel and the gap difference is tougher to isolate with the significant difference in weight.  I had the Stainless first, then the Ti.  I bought the smaller gap on the Ti because I feared I might have a tendency to apply pressure due to the overall lightness.  I also really liked the feeling of the OC teeth, but wanted to try a SB head.  I knew I would probably never buy 2 Ti razors, so I went with the DC.  

The first and easiest thing I can recommend is the Darwin handle.  At first I was not sure of the grip, but found after a few shaves that my fingers really worked well with the contour and curves.  It feels just right the way the bottom flares out and the positions of my pinky and ring finger.  I also think if you like the deco style, nobody machines and polishes a version better then James.

As for the materials and gap, this is tough.  I think it just comes down to personal preference in weight.  If you like heavier, the stainless polished with an OC head is what I would select.  After using the Ti, it feels like a precision instrument because I use a very delicate touch.  With that said, I think I like the SB side better then the OC in this material.  With less weight, I feel the teeth less and prefer the smoothness of the SB.  Wolfman razors use a smaller then typical tooth profile, that on the polished SS, kind of feels like a mini massage on the face.  I think I made the right call with the smaller gap on the lighter razor.  I'd say the SS is easier to shave with because of my technique, but I really like the Ti because it looks great in blue and probably because it is newer.  I also like the deliberate, yet light technique I use with it.

As for gap, I think the .61-.74 range is close to probably a 4 on the Rockwell.  Like I said, to me the .61 feels more aggressive on the Ti then the .74 on the stainless.  It all comes down to your technique and how you handle the weight difference.  Note that these are all "fine tuning" type differences and that both are without flaw and superb shavers.  I'd select the material first, then the gap for the way I shave.  I hope that helps. 
Steve

There is tons of helpful detail here Steve.  Thanks!  The blue Ti is such a beautiful razor... that's the one I really want!

18 520
 04-17-2018, 03:06 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(04-16-2018, 07:56 PM)iamsms Wrote:
(04-02-2018, 05:30 PM)GoHabs Wrote:
(04-02-2018, 04:53 PM)NJDJ Wrote: So, what are you guessing the .54 will be equal to in Rockwell terms?

0.54 is more like 3.5 ( I have been using 0.54 since April 4). But so far, I find Rockwell to be a smother shaver while Wolfman definitely is the better looking one.

I think I would do well with the .54.  Sounds like the right gap for me.

18 520
 04-17-2018, 09:10 AM
User Info
(04-17-2018, 03:06 AM)NJDJ Wrote:
(04-16-2018, 07:56 PM)iamsms Wrote:
(04-02-2018, 05:30 PM)GoHabs Wrote: I'm hoping that the 0.54 is similar to the #4 Rockwell.  Perhaps someone who owns both can comment?

I think I would do well with the .54.  Sounds like the right gap for me.
I have a .48 currently and have used the Rockwell #2-4. I would definitely agree .54 or .61 would be what you're looking for in comparison to #3 (or imaginary #3.5).

9 120
 04-17-2018, 05:43 PM
User Info
(04-15-2018, 09:11 PM)Crag Wrote: I'll tell you honestly that the Wolfman just feels better in terms of blade to face feel and overall shave.  It is one of the only razors I can go ATG on my neck without any irritation.  The WRH7 handle is a work of art and is plenty grippy.  Mine is brushed SS.  I also tried the WRH2, but prefer the style of the WRH7 to that.

+1 about the WRH7. I had been using the SS WR1 SB with WRH2 handle for awhile. Just have started to use the WRH7 Bronze (with bronze WR1) and the balance seems a bit better for me versus the WRH2.

0 17
 Yesterday, 08:58 PM
User Info
I was on the waiting list and ended up getting a SS brushed finish SB with the 0.54 blade gap WRH7 handle. The only thing I would have done differently would be to get a DC head instead and Maybe go one step up in the blade gap although I get BBS in 3 pass with a little touch up using any of Pol Silver SI, Gillette Silver Blue or Nacet and Perma Sharp blades. I would like my Wolfman to be just a little more efficient. The Blackbird I have fits that bill but I don't find it as smooth as the Wolfman

4 954
 Today, 05:34 AM
  • NJDJ
  • New Jersey
User Info
(Yesterday, 08:58 PM)Oasisdave Wrote: I was on the waiting list and ended up getting a SS brushed finish SB with the 0.54 blade gap WRH7 handle. The only thing I would have done differently would be to get a DC head instead and Maybe go one step up in the blade gap although I get BBS in 3 pass with a little touch up using any of Pol Silver SI, Gillette Silver Blue or Nacet and Perma Sharp blades. I would like my Wolfman to be just a little more efficient. The Blackbird I have fits that bill but I don't find it as smooth as the Wolfman

Dave, I think the .54 brushed with either a 2 or 7 handle is exactly what I am looking for.  If you ever decide to sell yours, please let me know!

18 520