04-02-2018, 07:25 PM
User Info
These receive high praise, and obviously for good reason. I've used Eufros but not CRSW Glide. I believe both of these soaps are priced at a premium and am just wondering how well they compare with one another in the performance and how long a tub usually lasts.

25 1,248
 04-02-2018, 07:38 PM
User Info
They are both excellent but very different.  Eufros has a firmer consistency.  Glide, which is a cream soap, has a softer consistency.  You"ll need to try both to see if one works better for you.  However, I find Glide lasts less than Eufros or any other firm soap.

52 7,699
 04-02-2018, 07:46 PM
User Info
Funny Ricardo, I find them to be remarkably similar.  To each his own my friend!  Eufros while not quite as soft as Glide, is still very much a softer soap.  Both provide excellent, stable, rich, glossy lather that is a joy to use.  You can't go wrong with either one of these products.  Ricardo is right, the Eufros will last longer than glide.  That being said it seems like there might be more product in the Euros tin than the Glide container (I actually have no idea on that point.  Just going from memory.).

75 2,383
 04-02-2018, 09:38 PM
User Info
If I am not mistaken Eufros comes in 125gm tin and CRSW in 100gm plastic tub even then I also felt that CRSW went pretty fast for me compared to Eufros. Have been using Eufros for more than an year and is almost at the same level as Select Sandalwood which I started using 3-4 months back.

I have not used Glide yet so can't say the same for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,067
 04-03-2018, 01:13 AM
User Info
I choose Eufros (tallow) seven days a week over CRSW Glide when it comes down to performance. CRSW Glide is a good performer, but it's not living up to the hype IMHO. Eufros tallow is one of my all time favorites along with MW, B&M, Declaration Grooming and Wholly Kaw (donkey milk).

0 94
 04-03-2018, 05:02 AM
User Info
Larry and Manuel are in my opinion are two of the most talented and finest soap makers and both are upstanding, honest men. In my interactions with both I've come away with nothing but the utmost respect for them as people and the way they run their operations. Now that I have got that out of the way I'm happy to give my thoughts on both Eufros and Glide.

I'll start by addressing the 'premium price' mentioned by the OP. Eufros is a little more expensive by a few dollars but Manuel is unfortunately (or fortunate) to operate out of Spain and shipping becomes a not so insignificant cost. This can be mitigated somewhat by ordering more than one soap and making shipping cost a little more bearable. West Coast Shaving is/was/still? carrying Eufros but stock has been spotty at best and you pay shipping on orders under $50 total. I also believe they have marked up Eufros over what you pay direct most likely to cover the shipping cost of receiving stock from Spain.

Glide on the other hand is offered by CRSW with their FREE SHIPPING policy, no minimum purchase required. If you subtract the $4-5 dollars that most U.S. companies charge to ship a single soap, you are looking at a price of $18-19 dollars. This brings Glide in line with other well known artisan soaps and makes Glide an absolute bargain IMO.

Scent wise, I think that both Manuel and Larry are two of the more gifted and talented perfumers(?) in the artisan world. I've used basically everything in both Jabonman and CRSW vast offerings and have not found a scent that I find utterly disagreeable. There are some I like better than others, some I would choose not to order again and many I find to be at the very top of the food chain. 

Performance is a difficult one as I find Glide to be the absolute pinnacle of shaving soap in terms of slickness (nothing bests Glide's slickness, nothing!), protection, and post shave. Finding the sweet spot is not hard but does require you pay attention and have a basic understanding of how individual soaps be best prepared. When done properly there is nothing quite like a shave with Glide. The shine of the lather, the incredible residual slickness and amazingly close and comfortable shave are a sure sign you have gotten it right. Eufros comes somewhat close to matching Glide's performance but cannot reach the standard Glide has set. In all honesty I find a better comparison would be between Eufros and Select. There you will find much more similarity and it would be a much fairer comparison to Eufros. 

As far as which soap lasts longer? No contest, Eufros but again you are paying close to twice the price with Eufros considering actual costs. This is more of a personal thing. Myself, I have no issue paying a small premium to use shaving products that are head and shoulders above most everything in the market. I enjoy my shaves much more using quality products that elevate my morning ritual and both Jabonman and CRSW shine in that sense.

I pay close attention to ingredients and over the years have become aware and appreciative of how ingredients affect a soap, for good or ill. Speaking with a large number of soap makers about how and why they choose certain ingredients has given me a lot of insight and a real understanding of this. When I look at the ingredients of Glide, I cant help but think that Glide has a much more advanced and purpose driven listing. 

So there it is, my thoughts on two of my favorite artisan/soaps and I really don't think the question should be... "Eufros or Glide?", but "which one of each?" instead.

I've seen it said numerous times, '"we as consumers are blessed to have such great options", and with CRSW and Jabonman that statement could not be more fitting!

0 195
 04-03-2018, 07:03 AM
User Info
(04-02-2018, 09:38 PM)Jags009 Wrote: If I am not mistaken Eufros comes in 125gm tin and CRSW in 100gm plastic tub even then I also felt that CRSW went pretty fast for me compared to Eufros. Have been using Eufros for more than an year and is almost at the same level as Select Sandalwood which I started using 3-4 months back.

@Jags009: Here's a post I made back in June of last year, in reference to Eufros soap. Are you saying you have used your tub of Eufros every day for almost a year ~ 300 shaves or so? How can that be possible? It's not a hard soap. Perhaps you are using it in rotation with several other soaps, and it only comes up every few weeks? I am puzzled now. 

I started a new tub of Eufros Fougere soap on May 21. I was careful to load the brush a maximum of 15 seconds before face lathering it. Today, after only 22 shaves it is now completely used up. Good soap, good performance. I suppose none of us who buy soaps is saying to ourselves "I hope this new soap lasts 3 weeks before it runs out." Am I right?

25 1,248
 04-03-2018, 08:17 AM
User Info
(04-03-2018, 07:03 AM)brothers Wrote:
(04-02-2018, 09:38 PM)Jags009 Wrote:
Perhaps you are using it in rotation with several other soaps, and it only comes up every few weeks? I am puzzled now. [/i][/size][/color]

Obviously I use it in rotation. It would be too boring to use the same for an year. I have not been able to complete one entire week with any soap in my den and I have got a few good ones.

But the point was that CRSW goes off rapidly than Eufros in my case as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,067
 04-03-2018, 04:22 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
The simple answer is you need both, because both rise to the very top of artisan soaps. I bet these 2 soaps would be in 90% of members “top 10” list.

Pick a scent from each and enjoy.

172 1,526
 04-04-2018, 10:13 AM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
I personally believe that Glide is superior to Eufros by a pretty wide margin. Glide is just something very special IMO.

105 1,684
 04-06-2018, 08:29 AM
User Info
Good timing for me to weigh in having used Glide yesterday and Eufros this morning with the exact same set up minus the soaps themselves. Both are excellent, but for me Eufros is significantly better, particularly in the areas of post shave and slickness. I know that Glide is stated by many as the slickest soap out there, but for me it doesn't crack my top 5. Not saying that Glide isn't outstanding, it is, but for me its not as good a performer as others in my "pantheon", Eufros being one of them. One thing to note, I simply do not understand the buzz about the Glide scents, in my opinion it's the least favorable aspect about them, to my nose they are muted and linear with the primary scent being the actual soap base itself. Considering the bread dough like consistency of the soaps I received, (they are by far the softest soap I've ever used and softer than almost all of the the creams I've used, it is virtually impossible to load directly off the soap itself),  I'm wondering if mine weren't a little under cured to begin with and that is affecting scent.

3 268
 04-06-2018, 09:09 AM
User Info
(04-04-2018, 10:13 AM)Boonie21 Wrote: I personally believe that Glide is superior to Eufros by a pretty wide margin.  Glide is just something very special IMO.

I'm in total agreement. Eufros is one of my favorites and in my Top 3 but is inferior performance wise. It's not even close, Glide is the easy winner.

0 117
 04-06-2018, 10:45 AM
User Info
I'd go with Eufros over Glide. I enjoyed a jar of Olfactory Hue, but it's not a product I plan to buy again. I'm just not a fan of having to be so delicate with my brush on the tub, and not interested in scooping. Eufros performs at a top tier level and has some of the very best scents out there.

45 1,244
 04-06-2018, 12:32 PM
User Info
Glide for me over Eufros any day of the week.

0 109
 04-06-2018, 01:15 PM
User Info
Never tried a CRSW soap but maybe I should. From all these threads it looks like CRSW is the brand against which all others are judged.

0 19
 04-06-2018, 02:08 PM
User Info
I prefer Eufros over any soap, they are also the best scents of the business for me taste.

8 1,808
 04-07-2018, 02:13 AM
User Info
Eufros tallow is maybe my favorite soap. He makes the best scents in soap making and the performance surpasses CRSW.

4 896
 04-07-2018, 09:04 AM
User Info
Not entirely sure what I'm missing with Eufros but I find it to be a average "run of the mill" performing soap. Looking at the ingredients of Eufros confirms my findings. Pretty basic from a formula perspective. Soaps like WK, GD and CRSW have more in the way of ingredients that would seem to suggest they perform better and in my opinion they do by a lot.

CRSW Select performance is better than Eufros and Glide is on a whole 'nother level.

0 105
 04-07-2018, 09:30 AM
User Info
If I may ask, what are WK and GD?  I'm evidently a bit behind on my popular soap names.

25 1,248
 04-07-2018, 10:01 AM
User Info
(04-07-2018, 09:30 AM)brothers Wrote: If I may ask, what are WK and GD?  I'm evidently a bit behind on my popular soap names.

Wholly Kaw and Grooming Dept.

52 7,699