03-13-2012, 09:23 PM
User Info
OK, so here's my mini rant.

I've been e-mailing back and forth with Phil for most of this month ordering some items from him, getting opinions on other things, having him talk me out of items as he personally does not like the way this cream lathers etc., having him reply back with helpful answers to what he probably thought were stupid questions.

On the plus side for Phil, it did result in my currently waiting on almost $500 worth of items (see the what are you not patiently waiting for thread), as well as another almost $100 order which already arrived this month. Yes, my AD was high this month, but it did not need to be, Phil made it all happen with his time, caring, HONESTY regarding some items, etc.

So what is my rant?

WHY THE HECK CAN'T OTHER WEB BASED (or even brick and mortar) RETAILERS BE LIKE THIS????? Has the day finally arrived when retailers no longer care about their customers needs??? I won't mention any names (one is an advertiser on the portal page here) from whom I cannot even get an e-mail reply.

129 6,685
 03-13-2012, 09:36 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
My friend,Phil is unique in this,and yes,not many are helpful,always with good manners like him.I actually know 2 vendors more like him and they are outside USA...

86 7,123
 03-14-2012, 04:02 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
They don't call Phil "The Enabler" for nothing.Smile

173 23,546
 03-14-2012, 06:19 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Sorry about the effect it's had on your wallet Tongue but you've discovered why so many of us consider Phil the standard by which all vendors should be measured and were so eager to join this forum!

This reminds me. Phil, I haven't spent any AD money lately. Expect an order soon. Blush

35 2,703
 03-14-2012, 06:38 AM
User Info
Yeah, Phil is horrible!! Biggrin He's spoiled us all!!

Since the first time I bought something off him, I've raised my standards for vendors so high that I can only do business with a couple of people anymore.

I'd put in a good word for Jarrod at "The Superior Shave" - he's known as the best coticule vendor, but he does sell other stuff too.

There are other great vendors I've worked with in the US and Canada, but Phil and Jarrod really stand out as the shining examples of what a vendor should be like.

37 1,731
 03-14-2012, 10:10 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Several proto hominids lie sleeping on a rock formation. A loud buzzing is heard and they wake
chattering to a black monolith with alien writing on it- in Victorian flourishes that will later be known as Taylor's Of Old Bond Street. The lesser ape men begin jumping around, screaming and trying to remove body hair with animal bones.Their descendants will come to be known as Proctor and Gamble.
One male quietly picks up a core of volcanic rock and begins banging it on another rock. he produces a bifacial flake and dips his opposing thumb in the remains of a sheep.
His descendants will go on to quietly rule the world and advance civilization.
Meanwhile, the mother ship flies back to the west coast and vanishes beneath the water off Redondo beach.

Forum rule number 2.

2. Please do not make posts that are vulgar, obscene, sexually-orientated...

Posting a smiley face doesn't make your innuendo ok, it makes it innuendo.

-Sully

2 3,171
 03-14-2012, 10:56 AM
User Info
(03-14-2012, 10:10 AM)kav Wrote: Several proto hominids lie sleeping on a rock formation. A loud buzzing is heard and they wake
chattering to a black monolith with alien writing on it- in Victorian flourishes that will later be known as Taylor's Of Old Bond Street. The lesser ape men begin jumping around, screaming and trying to remove body hair with animal bones.Their descendants will come to be known as Proctor and Gamble.
One male quietly picks up a core of volcanic rock and begins banging it on another rock. he produces a bifacial flake and dips his opposing thumb in the remains of a sheep. He smears it on his face and shaves.
His descendants will go on to quietly rule the world and advance civilization.
Meanwhile, the mother ship flies back to the west coast and vanishes beneath the water off Redondo beach.

Confused

129 6,685
 03-14-2012, 05:17 PM
User Info
Yes, Phil is a entrepreneur who has spoiled us with fantastic customer service. He obviously has a strong work ethic but I believe the main factor in his success stems from the fact that he is willing to make each transaction as personal as possible in this virtual marketplace. In another time, he could have been the owner of the general store that customers would visit to make purchases and just as often they would visit to just spend time with one another because they were made to feel welcome.

29 1,731
 03-30-2012, 01:18 PM
User Info
Great vendor - very nice to hear.

Mark

1 630
 03-30-2012, 01:42 PM
User Info
Phil is a business model of what it takes to get me out of stores and into the easy chair for shopping. It's like having a personal shopper with a WikiShave brain and a pipeline to my mailbox. Honestly, it's that kind of service I find lacking in the real world these days. Take BestBuy for example. Ever ask a sales associate for some assistance? Assuming you can find one, they're often disinterested in helping and rarely knowledgeable about what they're actually selling. Maybe that's just the way retail is going forever, but I appreciate being able to discuss experience based details with guys like Phil...even if I drive him bananas sometimes Tongue

0 221
 03-30-2012, 02:40 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
All rise and raise your glasses (or bottles ) and toast Phil...aka "the main man " Numero uno !!

6 1,913
 03-30-2012, 06:11 PM
User Info
(03-13-2012, 09:23 PM)wingdo Wrote: WHY THE HECK CAN'T OTHER WEB BASED (or even brick and mortar) RETAILERS BE LIKE THIS????? Has the day finally arrived when retailers no longer care about their customers needs??? I won't mention any names (one is an advertiser on the portal page here) from whom I cannot even get an e-mail reply.

Some of them are like that. In the retail marketplace, customer service, quality, price and selection are key elements in a successful retail operation. Those who know how to run a business, like Phil, are mindful of such things and generally prosper. Proprietors who are not attentive and motivated will see their business wither and die, or at least remain very limited in scope. Think of it as "survival of the fittest" applied to businesses, a sort of shaving Darwinism. This is not only true for wetshaving stores, but all retailers in a free market. Bad customer service, especially in the Internet Age, soon leads to disaster.

0 303
 03-31-2012, 05:40 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Phil, is a credit to our shaving community in more ways then can be mentioned here.

1 3,507
 03-31-2012, 06:04 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info

Friday was not a good day at work.

I had to call a help line that I knew went overseas.
When the rep answered with "Hello. And how are you?"
I replied, "Terrible,"

To which she replied right from her script, "That's good."

WTF?!!??

So, kudos to Phil. Keep on keepin on!

47 1,378
 04-05-2012, 06:26 PM
User Info
Placed my first order today, and within an hour, I had a personal email from Phil, stating the order had been shipped, and when I could expect it. And this was not a large order -- Merkur 34c and small sample pack. So, not only does Phil cater to the large orders, but he takes the time even for small orders of less than $50. New lifelong customer here!!

1 223
 04-06-2012, 03:31 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
... to top it all off,

It is very well liked that,
  • prices are fair
  • items of quality across the spending spectrum
  • customer service ROCKS!

Keep up the good work Phil
Biggrin

9 1,684
 04-06-2012, 03:42 PM
User Info
+1
+1
+1

5 413
 04-07-2012, 11:04 PM
User Info
I'll never forget. A couple of months ago, Phil was selling a small batch of Fatip razors. I had been wanting one so I jumped on it. As soon as I clicked "Buy It", my door bell rang with the USPS man looking thru the peep hole.

It really freaked me out....like a Ouija Board or Rosie O'Donnell in a bikini.

9 1,199
 04-08-2012, 06:36 PM
User Info
If I could I'd love to buy Phil a beer . He will always have my business . A very good business man and knows how to treat people

1 61
 04-09-2012, 07:44 AM
User Info
(04-08-2012, 06:36 PM)Malakas1981 Wrote: If I could I'd love to buy Phil a beer .

+1

Phil, if you ever get to St. Louis, let me know. First round is on me!

1 223