04-07-2018, 03:24 PM
User Info
Oh my gosh. I had one of the worst skin reactions in years.

I was just on a trip, and forgot to pack my blades. I arrived in the evening, and extremely early in the next morning I ran across the road from the hotel to the 24 hour drug store. Picked up a 5-blade cartridge with 2 Lubrastrips. Came back and shaved.

Well, I didn’t even finish one pass. All the area around my mouth and chin immediately turned beet red and started burning. I rinsed off the shaving cream, and didn’t apply any aftershave. It was horrible.

I looked terrible, but there was nothing I could do.

At the end of the day, I found a shaving supply store and picked up some blades for my real razor. My face was still so sore the next morning I just did one very light pass. Sadly, I still had a lot of redness, and my face still didn’t feel right.

Day 3, almost all redness gone, and no more burning. But, I didn’t take any chances, and just did one pass, very lightly.

There’s a tiny bit of good news in this. I found an Art of Shaving store, and picked up their unscented aftershave balm. Love it. Excellent product for me, and seemed to provide a bit of relief.

Now, I can’t say for sure that it was the Lubrastrips that caused the allergic reaction, but it seems like a reasonable guess. Unless it was using 5 (fairly poor quality) blades and shaving too close.

I sure hope I don’t forget my blades again. I’ve just put 2 packages in my bag, so I’ll be sure to have them on hand for the next trip.

1 506
 04-08-2018, 10:15 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
3-4 years ago, I purchased Mach3 Turbo cartridges on Amazon.  Packaging looked old, dropped a few times, and no English anywhere.  Tugging and rash even after changing cartridges mid-shave.  Purchased EJ DE89 shortly there after.

9 690
 04-10-2018, 10:35 AM
User Info
I call it Schmutz-Strip. 
On the very very rare occasions I use a cart, it is a Feather Nero and I scrape off that strip (with a GEM blade) before use.

8 950
 05-25-2018, 05:08 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I’ve lately been enjoying some shaves with the modern Gillette Trac II carts called PII. No lube strip, and a better than decent shave.

10 3,158