04-08-2018, 12:35 AM
User Info
Hello TSN,

My friends, I use a brand new Voskhod just about 99 times out of 100 when shaving with my LASSC BBS-1. The other blades are reasonable but not very favorable or even worth pushing a ton of experimentation. I did okay with a shave here and there using a Israeli Crystal Platinum Chrome and a Yellow Gillette 7 O Clock SharpEdge.

I am after ultimate smoothness over sharpness but am wondering if anyone has had luck using certain vintage blades in the BBS-1. Thank you for any input.

83 1,628
 04-08-2018, 05:16 PM
User Info
(04-08-2018, 12:35 AM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: Hello TSN,

My friends, I use a brand new Voskhod just about 99 times out of 100 when shaving with my LASSC BBS-1. The other blades are reasonable but not very favorable or even worth pushing a ton of experimentation. I did okay with a shave here and there using a Israeli Crystal Platinum Chrome and a Yellow Gillette 7 O Clock SharpEdge.

I am after ultimate smoothness over sharpness but am wondering if anyone has had luck using certain vintage blades in the BBS-1. Thank you for any input.

Not exactly vintage, but I get the best shaves from Wizamet Iridium Super Extra Stainless. Some say they are the same as current PolSilver, but in my experience they shave differently.

8 448
 04-08-2018, 05:34 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
I don’t use a BBS-1, however lately I’ve found KAI blades are both very smooth and efficient.

10 3,155
 04-09-2018, 12:51 AM
User Info
(04-08-2018, 05:16 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: Not exactly vintage, but I get the best shaves from Wizamet Iridium Super Extra Stainless. Some say they are the same as current PolSilver, but in my experience they shave differently.

Thank you for your response vigilantesd. I think that using Pol Silver would be my number one backup after Voskhod in BBS-1. It is a dependable and quality pairing. One thing off topic of this thread is that I really dislike certain blades for how the wax their blades. If the cutting edge's bevel is exposed to glue wax, it becomes an unnecessary mess in your gear and mixing it with small beard particle gets combined for what can be harder cleanup.

(04-08-2018, 05:34 PM)chazt Wrote: I don’t use a BBS-1, however lately I’ve found KAI blades are both very smooth and efficient.

Hello chazt, I would agree that Kai DE (Japanese) blades perform excellent in my experience. It would leave my skin very smooth (still open to nicks) and the razor was efficient in cutting beard. It is worth noting I also think it was consistently sharp. I enjoyed Kai blade as my number one choice in blade when using RRSS v1, Muhle R41 (2011 and 2013) .

83 1,628
 04-09-2018, 11:38 AM
User Info
Vintage London Bridge & polish Wizamet Iridium Super BN-76 or BN-84 ... in my opinion the best synergy with BBS-1! 

[Image: mkNSYkC.jpg]

5 156
 04-09-2018, 12:38 PM
User Info
So the vintage blades I have to choose from are Personna 74 Tungsten Steel, Gillette Super Blue Bldes (black colored blades), Schick Krona Chrome and English made Stainless Wilkinson Sword (don't know is they are Wilkies or Brigades or what.)

83 1,628
 04-09-2018, 01:20 PM
User Info
I used a borrowed BBS-1 for a little while and found that my shaves were quite good with Wilkinson Light Brigades and Personna 74 Tungstens.

221 12,931
 04-14-2018, 12:41 PM
User Info
(04-09-2018, 01:20 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I used a borrowed BBS-1 for a little while and found that my shaves were quite good with Wilkinson Light Brigades and Personna 74 Tungstens.

I tried the vintage Wilkinson Sword (maybe it is a light brigade) in the BBS-1 yesterday and it seemed to be on the smoother side yet still sharp and efficient compared to my usual Voskhod. I still had some nicks underneath my chin (where I usually get them) but that isn't something I want to judge the blade for. I am looking forward to more shaves testing.

83 1,628
 04-16-2018, 02:19 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(04-09-2018, 01:20 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I used a borrowed BBS-1 for a little while and found that my shaves were quite good with Wilkinson Light Brigades and Personna 74 Tungstens.

Like John, the Wilkinson Sword Light Brigades  and Personna 74s are my favorite blades. I'v been strictly vintage blades for more than a year and a half. I've never used a BBS1 but my experience is that a great blade is a great blade no matter what razor.  Of course, if the razor is sub par the blade is limited in perfomance. I can also recommend Gillette Platinum Plus and Spoilers, Schick Plus Platinum and Super Stainless,  and Personna Super Stainless.  All just a notch below my favorites.

8 2,531