User Info
What do you think?

82 3,455
 04-09-2018, 05:30 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
For me it's the Plisson. Still using the first one I purchased years ago.

65 5,246
 04-09-2018, 06:03 PM
User Info
Chubby 2 and Muhle XL.

53 8,305
 04-09-2018, 06:06 PM
User Info
The original Plisson brush, not the "Plisson" type brushes. The original has a truly luxurious feel due to it having no glue spot whatsoever. It's truly like a paint brush for your face.

85 392
 04-09-2018, 06:10 PM
User Info
(04-09-2018, 06:06 PM)Silence! Wrote: The original Plisson brush, not the "Plisson" type brushes. The original has a truly luxurious feel due to it having no glue spot whatsoever. It's truly like a paint brush for your face.

Yes, the original Plisson have no glue bump, whereas the Plisson type typically have a very large one.

53 8,305
 04-09-2018, 07:14 PM
User Info
It all depends on what you are looking for in a synthetic. Personally, after trying so many, I have found the Chubby 2 Synthetic to be my favourite.

89 21,229
 04-09-2018, 10:00 PM
User Info
(04-09-2018, 05:30 PM)eengler Wrote: For me it's the Plisson. Still using the first one I purchased years ago.

+1

V1 for me with pleasure. I call it the floppy mop. Just add lots of water with product and face lather.

84 1,633
 04-10-2018, 04:00 AM
  • Nero
User Info
I'm closest with Ricardo on this.

Edwin Jagger Large (v2) (very similar to Muhle...just different handle)

Chubby 2

82 3,455
 04-10-2018, 05:03 AM
User Info
I say the best are these:  RazoRock Big Bruce, Edwin Jagger 25mm knot, Muhle 25mm knot, Chubby2.

[Image: J6IBLlE.jpg]

5 1,801
 04-10-2018, 05:06 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-09-2018, 05:24 PM)Nero Wrote: What do you think?

Disclaimer:  I am not a brush collector, and do not have a long shelf of different brushes lined up, as many members of this forum do.  My currently active brushes comprise exactly two badger brushes and two synthetic brushes, and I am unqualified to assess how the two synthetics compare or contrast with other synthetics; but I do have a couple of hundred shaves on each of the two synthetics that I own, having used each of them to make lather with a variety of soaps, and a few creams.

Between the two brushes with which I am very familiar:  a Mühle Silvertip Fibre (v2, 23 mm knot:  33K252) and an original L'Occitane de Provence Plisson brush (about 22 mm knot), I prefer the lather-making ability of the Mühle, which effectively pushed aside a very good Vulfix Super Badger (24 mm knot) that I had been using virtually exclusively for several years at the time I purchased the Mühle.  At that time, the result caught me by surprise, because I had purchased the Mühle mainly as a travel brush, not to replace the Vulfix, which was still in the prime of its youth, and was serving me very well.  But after just a few uses of the Mühle, I found myself more and more reaching for it instead of for the Vulfix, which eventually descended into a state of near desuetude.  

Based largely based upon Teiste's paeans of praise for the L'Occitane Plisson, I ventured into one of the company's mall stores and purchased one for what — in light of subsequent history of other brushes using similar knots — was a high price (about $35), but seemed like a bargain at the time.  With the Plisson and the Mühle hanging next to each other in the cabinet above my shaving sink, I rarely found myself reaching for the Plisson, and continued to use the Mühle as my daily driver.  But the Plisson quickly found its way to a permanent place in my Dopp kit alongside the Feather MR3 neo razor, which is my road warrior razor.  Subjectively (I have not actually timed the processes), the Plisson whips up lather more quickly than the Mühle does, and I am usually pressed for time when on the road; at home, when I have the luxury of time, I think the Mühle ultimately generates a better lather.

1 1,282
 04-11-2018, 07:35 AM
User Info
I only have two, the Plisson IS the better of my two. The Omega was disappointing, it is now a "dust brush".
[Image: PAgeZCc.jpg]

0 863
 04-11-2018, 08:32 AM
User Info
I have virtually all of the types of synthetic knots-the original Plisson, Muhle, Simpsons, 'game changer', etc., etc.

In my experience, the inexpensive 'Plissoft' knots can do a great job with any soap.

But for overall use, I like the 'Tuxedo' knots. I got originals from APShaveCo on etsy, a Wolf Whiskers with the 'Black Wolf', as well as several Envy Shave brushes with that knot. These make great lather, have good face feel, and just work. There are inexpensive Tuxedo-type knots sold by several vendors, and while they might not be quite as refined as the WW and Envy knots, they're still quite good.

30 902
 04-11-2018, 08:36 AM
  • iamsms
  • The Patient Disciple
  • New Jersey
User Info
Anyone here has any comments on Plisson White Evolution knots?

5 97
 04-11-2018, 01:00 PM
User Info
(04-11-2018, 08:32 AM)Michael P Wrote: I have virtually all of the types of synthetic knots-the original Plisson, Muhle, Simpsons, 'game changer', etc., etc.

In my experience, the inexpensive 'Plissoft' knots can do a great job with any soap.

But for overall use, I like the 'Tuxedo' knots. I got originals from APShaveCo on etsy, a Wolf Whiskers with the 'Black Wolf', as well as several Envy Shave brushes with that knot. These make great lather, have good face feel, and just work. There are inexpensive Tuxedo-type knots sold by several vendors, and while they might not be quite as refined as the WW and Envy knots, they're still quite good.
Thanks for the great info regarding these knots! I own a few $10-$20 Plissoft Knot brushes and they give me great performance with all types of soaps. I just purchased the Edwin Jagger XL synthetic for $60 and it is a great brush but I think the Plissoft knots have a slight edge in performance at a fraction of the cost. I'm interested in the Tuxedo knots from Envy Shave/Wolf Whiskers and if they are the same knots or just similar? I appreciate any info on this and thanks again!

Happy Shaving
49erShaver

0 161
 04-11-2018, 03:01 PM
User Info
Excellent question, 49ershaver. 

My very favorite are the Envy Shave Black Wolf knots, but that may be because I'm most familiar with those. The WW knot is identical as far as I can tell. 

The other Tuxedos, such as the ones that are in the Yaqi, etc. brushes are very similar, but maybe just a slight notch below in face feel and perhaps quality control. 

Now, TBH, this may be because I paid much more for the Envys and the WWs, so there might be some confirmation bias going on. The APShaveCos from etsy are the originals, and they have proven to be excellent brushes all around.

Note to mods: I hope referencing these vendors is OK, if not, please feel free to edit this post.

30 902
 04-11-2018, 03:13 PM
User Info
(04-11-2018, 03:01 PM)Michael P Wrote: Excellent question, 49ershaver. 

My very favorite are the Envy Shave Black Wolf knots, but that may be because I'm most familiar with those. The WW knot is identical as far as I can tell. 

The other Tuxedos, such as the ones that are in the Yaqi, etc. brushes are very similar, but maybe just a slight notch below in face feel and perhaps quality control. 

Now, TBH, this may be because I paid much more for the Envys and the WWs, so there might be some confirmation bias going on. The APShaveCos from etsy are the originals, and they have proven to be excellent brushes all around.

Note to mods: I hope referencing these vendors is OK, if not, please feel free to edit this post.

Michael, referencing the vendors by name is fine.  What is not allowed is a link to those vendors if they are not affiliated with TSN.

53 8,305
 04-11-2018, 06:10 PM
User Info
(04-11-2018, 03:01 PM)Michael P Wrote: Excellent question, 49ershaver. 

Michael P, EXCELLENT and VERY helpful information! I was leaning toward the Envy Shave 8 Ball brush. I was not aware of the originals from APShaveCos so I will definitely take a good look at them as well. Thanks for honesty and much appreciated Sir!

Happy Shaving!
49erShaver

0 161
 04-11-2018, 07:11 PM
User Info
Quote:Michael, referencing the vendors by name is fine.  What is not allowed is a link to those vendors if they are not affiliated with TSN.

Ricardo

Thanks very much, Ricardo-just wanted to be sure, and that policy makes perfect sense.

30 902
 04-11-2018, 09:37 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(04-11-2018, 08:36 AM)iamsms Wrote: Anyone here has any comments on Plisson White Evolution knots?

I have one, it behaves more like the Muhle brushes, not as soft as the normal Plissons with a bit more backbone, for me a great brush. The description on Plissons site says "Flexibility and softness, but also spring and resistance." and that is accurate.

[Image: lzGo54B.jpg]

34 1,566
 04-13-2018, 09:09 AM
User Info
(04-11-2018, 08:36 AM)iamsms Wrote: Anyone here has any comments on Plisson White Evolution knots?

I also have one.  The only negatives thing I have to say about it is that I wish it were denser and the cost is a bit much.  But, in general, plisson brushes are not dense to begin with and this one continues with the aspect.  I do like using mine though

0 10