04-13-2018, 07:58 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
While on FB I saw a post someone made regarding the new BBS-1 and pictured was a new DE razor made by Boker.  Although he was making a joke, the pic of the Boker intrigued me enough to do a quick google search for Boker Narrow Head safety razor and I was quickly on my way to buying one for $29+$3 shipping.  I figured why not.  Well, I've had the razor just under a week and had my 5th shave with it last night.  I'm primarily into  stainless higher end razors, but I've been blown away by the shaves I'm getting with the Boker.  There are similarities between the Boker and BBS-1, most notably the flatter blade angle as well as narrow head design.  The head is zamac and the handle is brass, which I quickly threw in a junk drawer and grabbed a nice stainless handle to use.  I've owned two BBS-1 and let them both go.  The BBS-1 in my opinion one of the best razors ever made when it comes to aesthetics and tolerances.  Unfortunately it wasn't the best shaver for me.  I got good shaves from it, just not great shaves.  I want to say the Boker is middle of the road in aggressivness, but when I rinse/feel my face after each pass I'm thoroughly impressed in comparison to my regular lineup.  Although I have several razors, I primarily use my Rex (at 4/5), Timeless SB .95, Mongoose B1 and Barbaros TR-1 (middle of the road aggressiveness).  Even though the blade gap isn't huge I find the Boker to be extremely efficient, rinses clean after making a pass (doesn't clog up), very maneuverable and a joy to use (at least for me).  I normally use a razor twice, toss the blade and then use a different one and keep that rotation going.  However, I'm actually looking forward to another shave with the Boker tonight, and not sure when I will move it to the back of the rotation. 
[Image: fH8Rnle.jpg][Image: JzDUdqx.jpg]

63 718
 04-13-2018, 08:07 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
It's a Tech copy head, more similar to a Weishi than a BBS-1.

[Image: e333a8d8afa63231b000c6aa77ec745b.jpg][Image: b2585557776413d1ed54d1bac2f66977.jpg]

58 2,346
 04-13-2018, 08:28 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I'm gonna have to grab my tech and check the blade angle and gap.  I'm thinking the blade angle on the boker is much flatter, which brought up the bbs in another conversation, and that's where the comparison had started.  I didn't even consider a tech clone.  It sure doesn't shave like a tech though.

63 718
 04-13-2018, 12:01 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
It has to be the most popular DE head. James based the design of the BBS-1 on that type of head.

58 2,346
 04-13-2018, 08:56 PM
User Info
@ddk13 I am intrigued by the Boker razor. It appears very similar to the BBS-1, which I owned previously (twice!) and sold off. I don't find it to be an exact match to the Tech, as the appearance looks similar, but the details are not the same.

Could you take a picture of the underside of the razor and the inside just to see what it looks like?

85 392
 04-14-2018, 02:34 AM
User Info
Id agree that its based on the Tech.  My question is who makes it for them.  Ive got a couple Boker DEs and theyre good razors but I dont believe that Boker makes them.  Ive got their open comb, which is a rebranded FaTip and their Classic razor, which is an EJ/Muhle.  I also see they make a TTO that looks to be a Boker branded Weishi (at almost 4x the price).

0 100