04-19-2018, 08:09 AM
User Info
I just ordered this on eBay for twenty-seven dollars, and from tryablade.com I sent away for ten of the PAL Blue Carbon Steel blades.  I've been curious about shaving with a single-edge safety razor, especially this one, as using it doesn't require fiddling around trying to find the right angle (or so I get from the description).  Has anyone else used this type of razor?  What were your thoughts?

0 109
 04-19-2018, 08:20 AM
User Info
The "Guiding Eye" is there to remind users to use a very shallow angle.  It's designed to be used with the flat head of the cap against the face.  Very shallow.

For a modern shave, I think you'll find that modern Gem PTFE-coated blades are a better choice than vintage carbon steel blades.

12 257
 04-19-2018, 04:06 PM
User Info
I have one. Its an awesome razor. Light touch, shallow angle, good to go.

3 1,864
 04-19-2018, 05:38 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
Those blades you ordered will rust quickly.  Remove them from the razor after each shave and pat them dry.

I enjoy this razor.  A light touch is excellent advice mentioned above.  Some folks experience an above average amount of weepers during the first 2-3 uses until the blade is broken in.  However the blade should last you far longer than a normal DE blade.

In short, this is a fun razor.

0 290
 04-20-2018, 12:27 PM
User Info
(04-19-2018, 05:38 PM)Asafiev Wrote: Those blades you ordered will rust quickly.  Remove them from the razor after each shave and pat them dry.

I enjoy this razor.  A light touch is excellent advice mentioned above.  Some folks experience an above average amount of weepers during the first 2-3 uses until the blade is broken in.  However the blade should last you far longer than a normal DE blade.

In short, this is a fun razor.

I'll be sure to do that.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm already familiar with the rust-prone properties of carbon steel blades, having used the Treet 'Black Beauties' previously, as well as the blade for the Merkur mustache and eyebrow razor.  From what I saw of the eBay page, I think the razor already comes with a blade, so if nothing else I can use that until I can get a ten-pack of GEM blades from Walgreen's.

0 109
 04-24-2018, 09:46 AM
User Info
Alright, my GEM razor arrived yesterday and I loaded it with the GEM blade that was packaged with it, and proceeded to shave.  For my moustache and under-nose area, and the edges of my sideburns, I used my Merkur 34c.

I found that holding the razor's flat side against my skin was a bit trickier than I imagined it would be, but eventually I did manage it.  There is a bit of a learning curve for me here, being more used to shaving with a double-edge safety razor.  It was also a lot easier to nick up my neck than I thought.  It has always given me trouble, requiring more passes than does my face, and is much more prone to nicking.  I imagine that as I learn how best to use the razor and refine my technique, however, that this will cease to be much of a problem just as it did with my double-edge razors.

0 109
 04-24-2018, 12:55 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Perhaps try doing only one wtg pass on your neck until you figure things out. I find the Bullet Tip to be the mildest Gem razor. Even still, it's more beast-like than my sensitive skin can tolerate for more than two consecutive shaves, and that's with a super light touch. They are fun, though!

8 2,858
 05-01-2018, 09:54 AM
User Info
(04-24-2018, 12:55 PM)chazt Wrote: Perhaps try doing only one wtg pass on your neck until you figure things out. I find the Bullet Tip to be the mildest Gem razor. Even still, it's more beast-like than my sensitive skin can tolerate for more than two consecutive shaves, and that's with a super light touch. They are fun, though!

Easier said than done since the whiskers on my neck go in different directions.  The upper half of my neck, the whiskers tend to grow down and to the side, while the lower half grows up and to the side.  This makes my neck an especially difficult area to get a close, nick-free shave on regardless of razor and blade.

0 109
 05-03-2018, 11:59 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(05-01-2018, 09:54 AM)Michael_W Wrote:
(04-24-2018, 12:55 PM)chazt Wrote: Perhaps try doing only one wtg pass on your neck until you figure things out. I find the Bullet Tip to be the mildest Gem razor. Even still, it's more beast-like than my sensitive skin can tolerate for more than two consecutive shaves, and that's with a super light touch. They are fun, though!

Easier said than done since the whiskers on my neck go in different directions.  The upper half of my neck, the whiskers tend to grow down and to the side, while the lower half grows up and to the side.  This makes my neck an especially difficult area to get a close, nick-free shave on regardless of razor and blade.

Yep, my neck whiskers are similar. I do lots of short strokes in many directions to reduce irritation.

8 2,858