09-03-2012, 04:52 PM
  • Craig
  • Not a ragin Cajun; a mild mannered one
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
Good evening, Nook.

I've been trying to upgrade what I carry on a day-to-day basis from my normal kit. Today it was keys and fob (on a normal split-ring), beaten up Swiss Army Knife, phone and Saddleback wallet. I've ordered some new stuff and just wanted to see if anyone else was interested in improved EDC gear.

New stuff is a Sanrenmu knife, Widgy pry bar, new key ring, and I'm looking at several other things at a new (to me) EDC forum.

6 119
 09-03-2012, 05:13 PM
User Info
Wow, that's some serious upgrading.

What do you use that stuff for?

I just carry a credit card only wallet, Saddleback sleeve for B-cards, and keys. Cash if I think I'll need it.

Every once in a while I wish I carried a box cutter, but honestly if I did, it would just be this $10 Gerber one. I'm done with sharpening knives that I abuse by cutting open boxes and letters.

9 2,988
 09-03-2012, 05:15 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I don't carry anything anymore since I work at home. When I was working outside the home, I carried wallet, keys, a SOG Trident, and a Leatherman. The Trident was the finest knife I've ever carried and even after 2 years, the blade is still as sharp as day one.

116 3,804
 09-03-2012, 05:44 PM
  • Craig
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
The Swiss army knife is something my dad gave me and it's been beaten up pretty good. Between the Sanrenmu knife and Widgy pry bar, I'll be replacing the most used features of the SAK. I also have a leatherman from my dad around here somewhere that I'd like to pass along to another generation. I figure if I can get a couple of beater tools I can keep my treasured knives fresh longer.

The knife is used mostly for opening packages, but I realized I used the screwdriver tools to pry parts open several times a day (I work for a used auto parts shop). I'm also trying to be more prepared but efficient in what I carry around in my briefcase. As I get older, I realize there have been times where I could have helped had I the right tools; I guess I've been getting tired of that feeling.

6 119
 09-03-2012, 05:48 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Bowie knife,Crack pipe,Colt 45,Dictionary,i phone,lap top,i pad,hammer,tire iron,cash bag,ski mask,saw,cuffs,medication and Shave nook access card.Tongue

6 1,913
 09-03-2012, 05:54 PM
User Info
I have a Gerber assisted opening knife, Kaweco Classic Sport pen, and an old Cabela's sportsman's lighter. I cut open hay bales and feed bags, burn garbage, among other things, and the assisted opening knife has been great.

Craig, I'm interested in how the Widgy bar works out. I've considered getting one myself.

1 345
 09-03-2012, 06:07 PM
  • Craig
  • Astoria, NYC
User Info
(09-03-2012, 05:48 PM)Harvey Wrote: Bowie knife,Crack pipe,Colt 45,Dictionary,i phone,lap top,i pad,hammer,tire iron,cash bag,ski mask,saw,cuffs,medication and Shave nook access card.Tongue

A couple of those are slightly suspicious Tongue I was actually reading a story of a doctor who carried both a 45 and a vial of coke since he was an anesthesiologist

(09-03-2012, 05:54 PM)MsBlackwolf Wrote: I have a Gerber assisted opening knife, Kaweco Classic Sport pen, and an old Cabela's sportsman's lighter. I cut open hay bales and feed bags, burn garbage, among other things, and the assisted opening knife has been great.

Craig, I'm interested in how the Widgy bar works out. I've considered getting one myself.

I got it from a guy who sells them wrapped in para cord on eBay. I'm not sure if I can post a BIN link though. If you want his info, send me a PM.

I neglected a couple of things: the vintage chrome ronson lighter, Fisher Space Pen and Vibe Moda headphones. Not pictured are my new AO optics pilot glasses. Like the space pen, these also were used on Apollo missions.

Also this thread needs pics!

IMAG0806<script async src="https://embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">

IMAG0806<script async src="https://embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">
, on Flickr

6 119
 09-03-2012, 06:13 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(09-03-2012, 05:48 PM)Harvey Wrote: Bowie knife,Crack pipe,Colt 45,Dictionary,i phone,lap top,i pad,hammer,tire iron,cash bag,ski mask,saw,cuffs,medication and Shave nook access card.Tongue

45 16,351
 09-03-2012, 06:54 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I'm like a broken record, same old stuff everyday for the past 35-40 years. (Well, I do buy a new wallet now and then).

Left pant pocket: Car keys, small Case pocket knife, tube of chap stick.

Right pant pocket: Small pocket wallet with drivers license, insurance cards, and one credit card. Loose change if I have any.

Right rear pant pocket: One hanky.

Shirt pocket: One pipe lighter and a pen.

173 23,546
 09-03-2012, 07:52 PM
User Info
Depends if I'm in or out of uniform...

In uniform, I carry my wallet (cash and a small boatload of cards), phone, two notebooks (one for personal notes, one for work), mechanical pencil, two pens, laser pointer, two sets of keys (personal and work), flash light and a Leatherman Wave.

Out of uniform that's whittled down to wallet, phone, personal notenook, one pen, one set of keys and a very small folding knife (Victorinox Classic SD Red).

3 3,580
 09-03-2012, 08:49 PM
User Info
Holy smokes, you gents are loaded!
The most i carry on the weekend is a small wallet for money, driver's license and credit card! Boy, do i feel naked! Hee hee.
i mean, if you are talking about my bike bag, then that is another story, but i only carry that for the commute to work, then it gets set down for the day.

75 20,883
 09-04-2012, 05:47 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
In my left rear pocket is my wallet, front pocket keys. Occasionally I carry a Swiss Army pen knife or on my belt my Gerber.

1 3,507
 09-04-2012, 06:54 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Well I carry my purse everywhere I go, without fail.
I don't have a big purse, I just pack it really well.
Inside you will find the following.....

Wallet with checkbook (rarely used anymore but still carry it), credit cards, drivers license, medical insurance card, hunters safety card, cash and coins

Cell Phone

4 bottles of prescription meds that I take and 1 bottle small of tylenol. Sometimes my sons evening sleeping medication if we are going to be away from home in the evening and i need to give it so it's taken affect by the time we get home.

reading glasses (don't judge me!)

calculator

about 6 pens (i already know i have a problem with pens and now my new passion for fountain pens has just escalated the problem)

3 lip balms and 1 lipstick, a foundation/powder compact, eyeliner, small perfume bottle, a small tape measure, a nail clipper and a nail file.

about a half dozen hand sanitizing wipes because not all stores have them to wipe cart handles down and because I had my spleen out I need to be extra careful with germs. I don't touch store carts without wiping them down first. I also have 2 bottles of hand sanitizer gels attached to the outside of my purse on the handles. One is a fun scent from BBW and the other a plain boring purell one. I use both and especially after using the pen to sign credit cards or touching other public things such as doors. I also never use store pens to sign CC receipts that don't have it online, I always use my own pen because of the germ issue. It's cut down on how often I've gotten sick because of germs picked up through those items.

If I'm out shopping I will also carry a medium size spiral top notebook that I take notes in or has my shopping lists written down in it and/or my touch kindle or kindle fire tucked inside as well. If my teen daughter is with she is usually driving so that's why I take one or both kindles.

Way to many shopping receipts that need to be cleaned out......

7 405
 09-04-2012, 07:11 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I go light. My keys and a Big Skinny (brand name) wallet. Now my wife is another story. Large bag (color depending on the season) loaded to the gills with everything. I could get a hernia carrying itSmile

100 12,445
 09-04-2012, 07:29 AM
User Info
Bi-fold wallet, EasyCut, keys, Chapstick, Kershaw Vapor pocket knife, iPhone, pair of JVC Marshmallows.

I don't really like the knife, but I found it beaten-up at work years ago, cleaned it up, sharpened it, and have gotten a good bit of life out of it. Can't justify replacing it.

Apparently there are several models now. It's this one.

2 362
 09-04-2012, 07:31 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Kershaws are great knives. I love the fast blade models. Easy to get open in a hurry.

116 3,804
 09-04-2012, 01:22 PM
  • etoyoc
  • NW Indiana
User Info
Depends on the day of the week.

For a school day: a small rhodia or Clairefontaine notebook and a fountain pen (Pilot VP, Lamy 2K, Lamy Studio, TWSBI 540, Ranga Model 4, or Edison) in my left shirt pocket. In my left front pants pocket I have my keys and a small ID holder with (drivers license, insurance card, and debit card) and a kaweco sport fountain pen. In my right front pocket I have my school keys.

On a nonschool day: pocket knife of some sort, Saddleback wallet, kaweco sport pen, field notes notebook, keys, maybe a cell phone.

0 253
 09-04-2012, 05:22 PM
User Info
(09-04-2012, 06:54 AM)krissy Wrote: Well I carry my purse everywhere I go, without fail.
I don't have a big purse, I just pack it really well.
Inside you will find the following.....

Wallet with checkbook (rarely used anymore but still carry it), credit cards, drivers license, medical insurance card, hunters safety card, cash and coins

Cell Phone

4 bottles of prescription meds that I take and 1 bottle small of tylenol. Sometimes my sons evening sleeping medication if we are going to be away from home in the evening and i need to give it so it's taken affect by the time we get home.

reading glasses (don't judge me!)

calculator

about 6 pens (i already know i have a problem with pens and now my new passion for fountain pens has just escalated the problem)

3 lip balms and 1 lipstick, a foundation/powder compact, eyeliner, small perfume bottle, a small tape measure, a nail clipper and a nail file.

about a half dozen hand sanitizing wipes because not all stores have them to wipe cart handles down and because I had my spleen out I need to be extra careful with germs. I don't touch store carts without wiping them down first. I also have 2 bottles of hand sanitizer gels attached to the outside of my purse on the handles. One is a fun scent from BBW and the other a plain boring purell one. I use both and especially after using the pen to sign credit cards or touching other public things such as doors. I also never use store pens to sign CC receipts that don't have it online, I always use my own pen because of the germ issue. It's cut down on how often I've gotten sick because of germs picked up through those items.

If I'm out shopping I will also carry a medium size spiral top notebook that I take notes in or has my shopping lists written down in it and/or my touch kindle or kindle fire tucked inside as well. If my teen daughter is with she is usually driving so that's why I take one or both kindles.

Way to many shopping receipts that need to be cleaned out......

Exactly why I don't carry a purse. Knowing me....I'd need a cart to wheel it around. I forgot to mention my wallet. one of the lil ones for the front pocket of your jeans.

1 345
 09-06-2012, 09:09 AM
User Info
This thread is interesting... When I read it a few days ago I almost commented to make fun of it(sorry- my first reaction). I was sort of thinking...who cares whats in your pockets? But then I started to see a few more posts and I became intrigued. It seems as If I was totally oblivious to the world of EDC(every day carry), and like our community here, there are many dedicated forums. After researching on these forums( I think I have way too much time on my hands this week), I learned that the most common EDC set ups consist of a pocket knife of some sort, a cool tactical pocket LED flashlight, key-chain, pen,wallet, utility tool, watch, lip balm and a few other items depending on the person. Although I really don't think I have a use for a pocket knife or a cool LED flashlight, I sort of want them now. My occupation definitely does not call for either of these... Besides law enforcement, what other people belong to these forums? Or is just a regular hobby like Wetshaving?
So, with all that being said: Im sorry for making fun of you(inside my head). Also, thanks for introducing me to this world(I think...Not sure yet).

9 333
 09-06-2012, 09:29 AM
User Info
Noah, be careful as it is as addicting as wet-shaving! Hee hee.

75 20,883