04-21-2018, 05:59 PM
  • KRpdx
  • Portland, OR
User Info
I received 6 samples of Mystic Water shaving soap the other day. After doing some reading about MW ("finicky" for some) and watching a couple of lathering technique videos, I used a 24mm Shave Revolution synthetic, starting just damp, loading for about 35 seconds, and very gradually adding our Pacific NW soft water as I face lathered. Lots of cushion, little dissipation, very slick...and I'm really impressed with the fragrances. I'm pretty picky, but after one shave, I know MW will be a part of my regular rotation. Just wanted to give a thumbs up to a high quality product that is very reasonably priced...

12 176
 04-21-2018, 06:51 PM
  • MaxP
  • Des Moines, Iowa
User Info
(04-21-2018, 05:59 PM)KRpdx Wrote: I received 6 samples of Mystic Water shaving soap the other day. After doing some reading about MW ("finicky" for some) and watching a couple of lathering technique videos, I used a 24mm Shave Revolution synthetic, starting just damp, loading for about 35 seconds, and very gradually adding our Pacific NW soft water as I face lathered. Lots of cushion, little dissipation, very slick...and I'm really impressed with the fragrances. I'm pretty picky, but after one shave, I know MW will be a part of my regular rotation. Just wanted to give a thumbs up to a high quality product that is very reasonably priced...

This is good to hear.  Those who have "found" the technique to MW find it to be quite satisfactory.

62 1,742
 04-21-2018, 07:30 PM
User Info
I used MW today, and this is the old -“hard to lather”- formula. Synthetic knots do the trick for me. Not that it doesn’t work with natural hair, but not minding the knot helps. Anyways, yes, good soap.

9 1,443
 04-21-2018, 08:16 PM
User Info
Congratulations! You'll have plenty of scents to choose from.  Shy

89 21,200
 04-21-2018, 11:02 PM
User Info
Mystic Water Soap is just plain darn GOOD! And so is the price. I still think it gives one of the best post shave feels on the market & the scents are EXCELLENT!

Happy Shaving!
49erShaver

0 157
 04-21-2018, 11:30 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-21-2018, 05:59 PM)KRpdx Wrote: After doing some reading about MW ("finicky" for some) and watching a couple of lathering technique videos, I used a 24mm Shave Revolution synthetic, starting just damp, loading for about 35 seconds, and very gradually adding our Pacific NW soft water as I face lathered.

I shave with the very same city water from the Bull Run watershed from the west slopes of Mt. Hood.  (We live halfway up the hill between Portland State and Council Crest.)  Mystic Water is at the top rank of my small collection of shaving soaps; I use it a lot.  

With all due respect, I think that you are over-thinking your technique.  I have bought Michelle's shaving soaps in the “refill” configuration and pressed the puck into a Duralex “Lys” 3.5 inch stackable glass bowl (available — cheap — at the Ace Hardware at NW 16th & Glisan).  I pour a couple tablespoons of very hot (120˚ F.) water atop the Mystic Water puck before I get into the shower, and, when I come out of the shower, I decant the "bloom water" into a pre-warmed scuttle, and attack the liquid in the scuttle with an until-then dry Semogue 2-band badger brush.  Works a treat every time.

1 1,260
 04-21-2018, 11:46 PM
User Info
I have used a variety of Michelle's line of products for many years. It was probably the discussion about Mystic Water from here on TSN and other shaving sites I was on at the time that led me to her website business. The body products are what I restock so for example, I ordered some body powder, cuticle balm, foot scrub soaps, and she included a sample of black goat facial bar soap sample. It is always a pleasure purchasing from her as it is consistently packaged well for your shipping protection and it is within affordable purchase prices. I highly recommend her as a vendor.  Thumbup

My favorite and likely most compatible to my face was a soap I bought in 2013 which is Sensitive Skin. I did like the soaps she updated for user friendliness as well as the additional lanolin formulas. But in having more and more shaves, I work the Mystic Water lather the best on the puck and my face preferred the old formula. My skin is not being exposed to much lanolin through shave soaps. I don't choose soaps with it quite as frequently. 

If I did choose a soap over Mystic Water it would be Mike's. It does seem very compatible with my skin so it remains very dependable. Mike's soap is getting bonus points for (in my experience) the ability to yield great lather with reckless abandon when it comes to wetting the lather. It requires a lot of hydration in the lathering stages on my face. It becomes vicious and uniform with the water some it carries the hydration to the skin. Mystic Water does this exact same effect to the skin when the lather is applied to the face and has contact with the skin during the shave. There was never a best brush I had using Mystic Water but using a synthetic for me would end up being a Plisson V1. If I had mine installed into a handle, I would use my Shave Revolution synthetic knot. It was a greater performing knot with better balance. The reason I believe the brush above mentioned may work well is because it has free loft and space at the center of the knot. This capacity allows you to work the puck of the surface and develop of mug soap type effect and create a consistency on the surface of the product.

With MW, I usually scoop a sample and spread it way out in a bowl and thin as possible.

[Image: Z59tKti.jpg]

This was from the blind test batches and was also used with a Shave Revolution badger brush.

83 1,585
 04-22-2018, 05:10 AM
User Info
(04-21-2018, 11:30 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(04-21-2018, 05:59 PM)KRpdx Wrote: After doing some reading about MW ("finicky" for some) and watching a couple of lathering technique videos, I used a 24mm Shave Revolution synthetic, starting just damp, loading for about 35 seconds, and very gradually adding our Pacific NW soft water as I face lathered.

I shave with the very same city water from the Bull Run watershed from the west slopes of Mt. Hood.  (We live halfway up the hill between Portland State and Council Crest.)  Mystic Water is at the top rank of my small collection of shaving soaps; I use it a lot.  

With all due respect, I think that you are over-thinking your technique.  I have bought Michelle's shaving soaps in the “refill” configuration and pressed the puck into a Duralex “Lys” 3.5 inch stackable glass bowl (available — cheap — at the Ace Hardware at NW 16th & Glisan).  I pour a couple tablespoons of very hot (120˚ F.) water atop the Mystic Water puck before I get into the shower, and, when I come out of the shower, I decant the "bloom water" into a pre-warmed scuttle, and attack the liquid in the scuttle with an until-then dry Semogue 2-band badger brush.  Works a treat every time.
+1

48 4,625
 04-22-2018, 05:19 AM
User Info
Michelle's soaps are excellent and highly regarded by many.   Some users report lathering issues with hard water.   I have found that using a synthetic brush and blooming the soap with warm water improves the lathering with hard water.  I face lather and don't use the bloom water like Tom does.

53 8,119
 04-22-2018, 10:13 AM
User Info
I use her old and new formula in very hard water with no issues. It’s not as easy to lather as MdC but I like the lather better. Scents are awesome.

6 320
 04-22-2018, 11:01 AM
User Info
Glad to see the soaps work for so many. The light has not gone on for me. No water hardness problems here and frankly most likely operator error, but just can't get it much past OK and certainly not to great.

1 135
 04-22-2018, 11:14 AM
User Info
(04-22-2018, 11:01 AM)barbe-rouge Wrote: Glad to see the soaps work for so many. The light has not gone on for me. No water hardness problems here and frankly most likely operator error, but just can't get it much past OK and certainly not to great.

Just keep at it, the light will come on.  I think the biggest challenge people experience with this soap is they load too little product.  When you're loading and it seems like you have more than enough, just keep loading soap and adding a bit more water as you go and you'll be richly rewarded.

75 2,404
 04-22-2018, 03:55 PM
User Info
(04-22-2018, 11:14 AM)merkur man Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 11:01 AM)barbe-rouge Wrote: Glad to see the soaps work for so many. The light has not gone on for me. No water hardness problems here and frankly most likely operator error, but just can't get it much past OK and certainly not to great.

Just keep at it, the light will come on.  I think the biggest challenge people experience with this soap is they load too little product.  When you're loading and it seems like you have more than enough, just keep loading soap and adding a bit more water as you go and you'll be richly rewarded.
Thanks, Nathan. I'll keep at it and see how it goes. I've got 2 more pucks after this one so I've got some more practice time in my future.

Dave

1 135
 04-22-2018, 09:00 PM
User Info
(04-21-2018, 05:59 PM)KRpdx Wrote: I received 6 samples of Mystic Water shaving soap the other day. After doing some reading about MW ("finicky" for some) and watching a couple of lathering technique videos, I used a 24mm Shave Revolution synthetic, starting just damp, loading for about 35 seconds, and very gradually adding our Pacific NW soft water as I face lathered. Lots of cushion, little dissipation, very slick...and I'm really impressed with the fragrances. I'm pretty picky, but after one shave, I know MW will be a part of my regular rotation. Just wanted to give a thumbs up to a high quality product that is very reasonably priced...
Pacific Northwest water is awesome lather making water. Mine comes from the Mckenzie River.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

6 728
 04-23-2018, 05:06 PM
User Info
(04-22-2018, 05:19 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Michelle's soaps are excellent and highly regarded by many.   Some users report lathering issues with hard water.   I have found that using a synthetic brush and blooming the soap with warm water improves the lathering with hard water.  I face lather and don't use the bloom water like Tom does.

I have issues with the hard water, but I'll try my synthetic and a good bloom next time.

6 988
 06-02-2018, 11:14 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
I have crazy-hard water, but I rarely have problems building lather with other soaps (just lucky I guess).
I used MW "Irish Traveler" today (best GIT scent soap I've used yet).  This stuff is super slick, but I just can't get the lather to stabilize unless I use a synthetic brush.
It has got to be a water/product ratio problem.  This MW soap just has a really narrow sweet-spot.  Not enough water...pastey lather.  Add a drop too much...lather collapses.
I'll keep at it, the slickness is just so damn good!

48 2,056
 06-02-2018, 11:50 AM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
I love Michelle's soaps and scents and for some reason have never had one single issue lathering them in Colorado tap water, California tap water, Atlanta tap water or Arizona tap water.  She is A+ in my book for lather, slickness and post shave!

105 1,697
 06-02-2018, 12:04 PM
User Info
I've found the trick is to load gently, slowly, and amply. 

Start with a damp brush, swirl lightly until it gets a bit pasty, add some water to the top of the puck, continue to swirl lightly until pasty again, repeat until well-hydrated.  There will be a point where it looks like smooth Greek yogurt: that's your marker for applying it to the face.  Paint-strokes work best: if you splay it hard, you can end up with a foamy mess that will dry out.  You can usually add a fair bit more water from this point while applying it to the face. 

It doesn't need to bloom, and water hardness hasn't really been an issue for me in a number of areas.

I suspect a lot of people try to load it aggressively (either with too much pressure or too much water at first), which causes it to foam up, dry out, and give very poor cushion.  Again, gentle, slow, and be patient. 

Also worth mentioning that I've never been able to bowl lather it well at all (although I don't bowl lather anything, really).

It takes me a little over a minute to load it right, and I find that scrubby badger works best.  Synthetic is super finicky, and boar just takes 2-3 times as long (yes, 3+ minutes of loading for my Semogues).

16 253
 06-29-2018, 06:46 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-02-2018, 12:04 PM)explodyii Wrote: I suspect a lot of people try to load it aggressively (either with too much pressure or too much water at first), which causes it to foam up, dry out, and give very poor cushion.  Again, gentle, slow, and be patient. 

Reassurance.  Mystic Water shaving soap is better today than it was yesterday, but maybe not as good as it will be tomorrow.  

There are many excellent shaving soaps, and — certainly — Mystic Water is among them.  

One cannot name any shaving soap that is better than Mystic Water, though possibly there are others that are the equal of Mystic Water.  What those other soaps may be is a topic worthy of rational debate.  But if you think that there is a better shaving soap, make an objective test, using your own techniques and your uwn tools, but setting aside your prejudices in the pursuit of objectivity.  

You’ll see.

1 1,260
 06-29-2018, 07:13 PM
User Info
I have an unscented shave stick of MW, and for me - it works significantly better than loading from the puck. This is the first soap I’ve ever had this experience with - but I suspect that a much lower water-to-soap ratio is at the root. I believe forum member @shavebrush suggested this technique many moons ago.

29 1,492