04-22-2018, 06:51 PM
  • Nero
User Info
I have been on a buying binge recently and, as a result, was mistakenly sent 2 soaps with the reformulated formula containing lanolin (whereas the ingredient list on the websites showed the previous formula without lanolin, which I've maintained for years that I'm allergic to).

... for one reason or another, I just said heck with it, it's time to try lanolin again.

Soap 1 results (five days ago) seemed very good at first. Very smooth, silky skin. I can see what people mean when they say they enjoy the feeling of the skin. However, later on that evening (I shave in the evening), I felt the sensation that there was a feather or wool being lightly brushed/flicked against my skin, causing an itch or tingle. I felt this in several locations on the face, intermittently for a few hours. I did not notice any visual abnormalities on my skin, but I'm not even really sure i looked that night.

...Then I used that same soap a day later, so four days ago, and that shave also seemed really good during the shave. However, after the shave my face was red all over. Not bumps or anything. Just my complexion was very red all over, as if I held a washcloth with very hot water on my face for minutes. What is interesting is that I did not have any of that itch/tingle on that night.

Soap 2 (yesterday) was just me doing a palm lather, and then putting a large chunk of lather on the skin of my inner elbow. I left the lather covering the skin for 30 minutes. I did not get any tingle or itch during or after. However when I rinsed the soap off, there was some visual redness (albeit much lighter than what I described in the previous paragraph). I can't say if the skin already had that redness before I did the patch test, so this is inconclusive. I did check my other elbow, and it did not exhibit the same redness as the one that I patch tested.

I do plan to test these soaps again and perhaps others. I'll put my observations here.

82 3,455
 04-23-2018, 02:19 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
That's  too bad about your reaction to lanolin. Even back when I was using canned goo I looked for lanolin in it, the only one I ever found was a particular line of Barbasol. I've been lucky in that I've never had a negative reaction to any shaving product, pre , shave, or post.

8 2,531
 04-25-2018, 08:03 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Just a note... It is going to be till next week before I get to using a soap with lanolin again. I have to attend a wedding this weekend, so I want to play it safe.

82 3,455
 04-26-2018, 03:24 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(04-25-2018, 08:03 PM)Nero Wrote: Just a note... It is going to be till next week before I get to using a soap with lanolin again. I have to attend a wedding this weekend, so I want to play it safe.

Good call.

8 2,531
 04-26-2018, 05:38 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(04-26-2018, 03:24 AM)Mouser Wrote:
(04-25-2018, 08:03 PM)Nero Wrote: Just a note... It is going to be till next week before I get to using a soap with lanolin again. I have to attend a wedding this weekend, so I want to play it safe.

Good call.
Thank you Wink

82 3,455
 04-26-2018, 07:46 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Matt, maybe you're allergic to a different ingredient, like coconut or almond oil, perhaps?

10 3,160
 04-26-2018, 10:31 AM
  • Nero
User Info
(04-26-2018, 07:46 AM)chazt Wrote: Matt, maybe you're allergic to a different ingredient, like coconut or almond oil, perhaps?
It's a good question Charlie, but that's a Negatory.

82 3,455
 05-01-2018, 05:32 PM
  • Nero
User Info
Just used a lanolinic Soap #3 about an hour or so ago.

Overall okay shave. Nothing really to write home about in the shave (didn't blow my socks off)... and afterward when I touch the skin there is nothing different than when using any other good soap.

However, there is intermittent tingling around the face (only where the soap was... and not on my forehead, for instance, so the soap or scent must be the culprit), but I can't tell if it's just bc it was a mediocre shave or if it's bc of the lanolin.

I want to like the stuff, but I'm still not sold... and of course, I could be allergic as I always have expected.

But I still hold out hope. So I will continue to experiment with it.

82 3,455
 05-01-2018, 11:34 PM
User Info
(05-01-2018, 05:32 PM)Nero Wrote: Just used a lanolinic Soap #3 about an hour or so ago.

Overall okay shave. Nothing really to write home about in the shave (didn't blow my socks off)... and afterward when I touch the skin there is nothing different than when using any other good soap.

However, there is intermittent tingling around the face (only where the soap was... and not on my forehead, for instance, so the soap or scent must be the culprit), but I can't tell if it's just bc it was a mediocre shave or if it's bc of the lanolin.

I want to like the stuff, but I'm still not sold... and of course, I could be allergic as I always have expected.

But I still hold out hope. So I will continue to experiment with it.

I want to try glyde badly but can’t because I know I’ll break out badly from it. Oh well.

0 135
 05-02-2018, 03:24 AM
User Info
(05-01-2018, 11:34 PM)Billium Wrote: I want to try glyde badly but can’t because I know I’ll break out badly from it.  Oh well.

What makes you think that? Glide doesn't contain lanolin.

0 67
 05-02-2018, 09:42 PM
User Info
(05-02-2018, 03:24 AM)twister Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 11:34 PM)Billium Wrote: I want to try glyde badly but can’t because I know I’ll break out badly from it.  Oh well.

What makes you think that? Glide doesn't contain lanolin.

Woah I must have mistaken it for Select.  Now I have no reason not to get it.

0 135