04-26-2018, 02:43 AM
User Info
I have recently acquired a “Trout Stone” and am looking for a honing solution. I’ve used Dan’s, Smith’s and Mineral Oil. None of these I have liked at all, especially the mineral oil, it felt too thick, like the edge was gliding over a film of oil and never contacting the stone. I diluted the mineral oil 50/50 with mineral spirits and that seemed to do the trick but the smell is strong and noxious, not going to go over at all with the wife. I have read that some renowned knife makers swear by a mixture of simple green and water at a 1:100 ratio. I gave this a shot last night and I may as well hone on water. I was thinking of trying it again with the addition of a bit of glycerin.

What do you all use as your preferred honing fluid?

1 27
 04-28-2018, 04:21 AM
User Info
Johnsons Baby oil, it's a mineral based oil with a lightly scented fragrance, you can also use as a pre-shave if you so wished. PS what is a Trout stone and what level of finish does that stone award you?

12 2,035
 04-29-2018, 05:46 AM
User Info
I have used baby oil in the past but I find it to be too thick and it makes the razor hydroplane on the stone. I found that baby oil mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits is the right consistency, unfortunately it smells far too much and I can’t use it in doors. 

Here are a few pictures of the Trout Stone, one dry and one wet with water as well as a link to the information on it. It’s an amazing stonenand I believe it to be a better finisher than a trans ark. Upon advice given to me on its use, I use it for 10-20 strokes following finishing in my Jnat and the edge is Jnat sharp and buttery smooth. 
[Image: jyBwi47.jpg][Image: Nzzxfu6.jpg]
https://razorlovestones.wordpress.com/20...nes-part1/

1 27
 04-29-2018, 06:17 AM
User Info
You can look for light mineral oil, also some like dish soap(can dilute). If you want to go the oil route I have always used 3-in-1. It's not in vogue but I have used it for decades on my oilstones. Just make sure that oil is the route you want to take.

3 812
 04-29-2018, 06:40 AM
User Info
For a while I have been J&J baby oil and odorless kerosene mixed 50/50 with great success. Used indoors without "the look" from SWMBO. On washita stones, maybe one extra drop of J&J for extra cushioning. On novaculite and uber hard coticules, my results ore outstanding. 2-4 drops depending on stone size. When done, easy soap and water cleanup with no oily residue.

8 171