08-12-2018, 10:27 AM
User Info
(08-11-2018, 11:27 AM)Nero Wrote: I've been using the Dart on and off for the past couple weeks or so (I ordered it the first day it was offered).
As of right now, I would say that if I shaved every two days, this would be the best razor for that purpose (either this Dart, or the Blackbird, would serve in that niche very admirably).
I do think it is a little too strong of a shave (very close) to use every single day without some cumulative resultant irritation (with my skin)...
...But in a rotation with other less aggressive razors (Rockwell, for instance), the Dart can be used without skipping days. ...Since this describes 99% of the market, I think there is no reason everyone shouldn't try it, especially given the 30-day return policy.

Glad to hear it, Matt. Thanks for the kind words!

0 779
 08-12-2018, 05:53 PM
User Info
Soooooo, when I have a new razor that I really like and want to make sure that it’s as good as I think it is, I will shave with it a few times when I first get it and then let it sit for a week and come back to it. Today was the “come back to it” day and I loaded a fresh Voskhod blade and went to town on 2 days growth. My first inclinations about how great this razor is were not wrong. I am a lover of mid-aggressive to aggressive razors and this mid-aggressive razor is an amazing razor and for the money, absolutely cannot be beat!! I am loving this thing. 2.5 pass BBS shave with a very light touch as I let the weight of the razor do the work. Shane, you continue to amaze me with your various offerings and the Dart has me absolutely salivating over the SE that you have coming next!! PLEASE give us an update on that one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 1,168
 08-12-2018, 06:43 PM
  • dmshaver
  • Default User Title
  • Kansas City
User Info
Very interesting thread, I enjoyed reading through it. Thank you everyone for your contributions! I really like the looks of this razor.

0 64
 08-12-2018, 10:23 PM
User Info
(08-12-2018, 05:53 PM)gmhjr06 Wrote: Soooooo, when I have a new razor that I really like and want to make sure that it’s as good as I think it is, I will shave with it a few times when I first get it and then let it sit for a week and come back to it. Today was the “come back to it” day and I loaded a fresh Voskhod blade and went to town on 2 days growth. My first inclinations about how great this razor is were not wrong. I am a lover of mid-aggressive to aggressive razors and this mid-aggressive razor is an amazing razor and for the money, absolutely cannot be beat!! I am loving this thing. 2.5 pass BBS shave with a very light touch as I let the weight of the razor do the work. Shane, you continue to amaze me with your various offerings and the Dart has me absolutely salivating over the SE that you have coming next!! PLEASE give us an update on that one!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome report!

SE is looking like a late summer or early fall release. Production on the heads is churning along nicely. Handles are a bit slow like the Dart’s were. I’ll share concrete news as it comes. Smile

0 779
 08-13-2018, 05:27 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
Shane, will the SE have blade feel like rhe Sabre, Blackbird or Dart?

54 652
 09-25-2018, 09:50 AM
User Info
Got my Dart a few days ago.  I am still quite new to wet shaving, and have only had 2 shaves with it so far.  Hoping this post might perk the thread back up. It has given me the smoothest BBS I have ever had, but it is a challenge for my meager skills so far. I will experiment more with angle and pressure.  It is quite the contrast from the AS-D2 that I had been most recently using. Probably too big a gap to jump in one stride (pun sort of intended).....  Any thoughts?

0 22
 09-25-2018, 10:01 AM
User Info
(09-25-2018, 09:50 AM)fzman1956 Wrote: Got my Dart a few days ago.  I am still quite new to wet shaving, and have only had 2 shaves with it so far.  Hoping this post might perk the thread back up. It has given me the smoothest BBS I have ever had, but it is a challenge for my meager skills so far. I will experiment more with angle and pressure.  It is quite the contrast from the AS-D2 that I had been most recently using. Probably too big a gap to jump in one stride (pun sort of intended).....  Any thoughts?

That’s quite a big jump from the AS-D2. It will likely take some time to adjust to the blade feel and high efficiency. Go slow, use very little pressure, and use a fairly steep angle (handle more parallel to skin). Keep at it and you’ll likely be rewarded with incredibly close and comfortable shaves. Feel free to reach out any time. shane@blacklandrazors.com

0 779
 09-25-2018, 11:24 AM
User Info
(09-25-2018, 10:01 AM)Blackland Razors Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 09:50 AM)fzman1956 Wrote: Got my Dart a few days ago.  I am still quite new to wet shaving, and have only had 2 shaves with it so far.  Hoping this post might perk the thread back up. It has given me the smoothest BBS I have ever had, but it is a challenge for my meager skills so far. I will experiment more with angle and pressure.  It is quite the contrast from the AS-D2 that I had been most recently using. Probably too big a gap to jump in one stride (pun sort of intended).....  Any thoughts?

That’s quite a big jump from the AS-D2. It will likely take some time to adjust to the blade feel and high efficiency. Go slow, use very little pressure, and use a fairly steep angle (handle more parallel to skin). Keep at it and you’ll likely be rewarded with incredibly close and comfortable shaves. Feel free to reach out any time. shane@blacklandrazors.com

Shane,  Thanks for taking the time to reply.  I love the look and feel in the hand of the Dart, and consider it well worth the asking price.  I've tried two shaves with it so far, after using the AS-D2 with a Feather blade.  I thought the Feather blade would be a bit too much for me to handle in the Dart, so I started with a Personna that only had one shave on it so far, and pretty quickly switched over to my favorite blades- the Polsilver.  Got an ok shave, but had a few weepers. Today I was a bit more careful, and got an incredibly smooth shave, but got bitten a few times by my poor handling of the razor-was trying to ride the cap too much, and used too much pressure.  My lack of patience has gotten the better of me more than once-and I have only been DE shaving for about one month (coming from electrics).  Can't wait until tomorrow morning for another try....

0 22
 09-25-2018, 09:10 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I'm following you man. Best of luck and enjoy the learning curve. I think you'll be rewarded no ifs ands or buts.

0 246
 09-26-2018, 06:02 AM
User Info
Shaved this morning with the angle more in the 'ride the guard' than the 'ride the cap' orientation.  Also kept the pressure as low as I could manage.  Much better!  This still with the Polsilver, but was pondering switching to another blade-not sure what to try (boy, do I have a large variety to sample....).

Any thoughts on something sharp but super-smooth to use specifically in the Dart?  

Also tried a new soap-Mystic Waters(?) 'Cuppa Joe', and a Razorock Bruce brush instead of the Hulk.....   (So much for the scientific methodological principle of changing only one varible at a time.)

Not sure if the soap liked the hardness level of my tap water-lather was frothy/bubble-y.  Probably my technique not the soap itself...... (Lots to learn) Nonetheless, the shave was smooth, and irritation-free, and only one tiny weeper, that did not even require the styptic-yay!

0 22
 09-26-2018, 09:46 AM
  • motto
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
User Info
I got pleasant shaves from both the Dart and the Blackbird SB + OC using Kai Stainless blades. Smooth while still very efficent.
Regards Marco

9 340
 09-26-2018, 12:22 PM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Gillette Nacet work for me better than any other blades

119 1,719
 09-26-2018, 01:43 PM
User Info
I highly recommend Astra SP with this razor

1 95
 10-05-2018, 07:53 PM
User Info
I received my Dart two days (shaves) ago.  I am duly impressed.

The workmanship and machining is outstanding; I mean, it's an unquestionably beautiful razor.
It is well balanced, and for me, the weight is just right.  The handle is superb; didn't slip at all.
Another poster listed its aggressiveness as a 6 out of 10.  I'd agree - but as Shane noted, "aggressiveness" is rather subjective.  I was quick to realize blade angle was very important when I inattentively (i.e. stupidly) bumped my chin with the razor, garnering a small bleeder, albeit quite importantly - through no fault whatsoever of the razor's.
I can definitely feel the blade, but I've been wet shaving for about 3 years now - ever improving my technique, and I must say it didn't take long to find the right angle to get two quite wonderful BBS shaves.  It's been 14 hours since this morning's shave and my skin is still feels wonderful, with barely a hint of stubble.
Since everyone's mileage will vary - I can see blade selection with the Dart being an important consideration.

That said, with a $100 price point, this quality stainless steel razor virtually destroys any argument for all razors of lesser cost and vastly inferior metals (read: chromed zamac pot metals) - I mean, why waste your money?

Bottom line, I love this razor - it will definitely be a regular in my rotation from now on.

Blackland Dart
Gillette Silver Blue
CRSW Glide Barbiere Sapone
Handmade Silvertip Badger Brush
Trumpers Sandalwood Balm

0 426