04-29-2018, 12:10 PM
User Info
So, I had this horrible shave today. When you have a bad experience you naturally break down the 
components and find out, what exactly went wrong. Right? Was it the soap ? No, used it many times.
The razor? No, used it many times. Technique? Maybe, but I've been doing this for years. Blade ?
Was a new blade(Derby). Yes! I think the blade.... Thumbsup One thing that I don't question, the brush.
It's the least important part of the shave. Any brush, even a hand can put an adequate layer of 
lather on my face. I ask myself, why do I have 14 brushes, when A-N-Y one of them will do a 
satisfactory job. I just don't know.... Facepalm

0 660
 04-29-2018, 12:42 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
The last time I used a Derby was 5 years ago...

57 2,238
 04-29-2018, 01:56 PM
User Info
Last time I used a Derby was... lemme think... never. That blade seems to have a generally poor reputation, so one have to wonder how they stay in business.

3 5,609
 04-29-2018, 10:08 PM
User Info
Derby?

Used one ~ once ~ many years ago.
Did not complete the shave with it.
Replaced it with another brand after first pass.
Horrible stuff.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

0 128
 04-30-2018, 09:05 AM
User Info
I have used Derby’s in shavettes with no issue. Sometimes a bad shave is just that. Your technique may be a little off, lather off., shaved to close the day before etc. I rarely say it’s due to one piece of equipment.

3 815
 04-30-2018, 11:10 AM
User Info
I've used many Derby's, though they are far from my favorites. This was a BAD blade. One side, so....so. The other side DEADLY OFF! Never had one like that.
Only other bad blade I've had was a Kai, actually two bad Kai blades in the same puck. I'd get one two strokes with the Derby, flip and hit the bad. Took me the
whole shave to realize what was happening. Too late then..... Confused

0 660
 04-30-2018, 11:21 AM
User Info
Derbys are an enigma.  They get consistently terrible reviews, yet there seem to be a lot of guys who get good shaves from them.  There must be demand for them, given how many sellers carry them.

53 7,965
 04-30-2018, 11:35 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
There was a time not long ago that Edwin Jagger offered a package of these with their admittedly nice razors. At some point they understood their mistake and replaced them with a package of Feathers. Not a very wise choice for a beginner if you ask me...

57 2,238
 04-30-2018, 01:27 PM
User Info
(04-30-2018, 11:35 AM)nikos.a Wrote: There was a time not long ago that Edwin Jagger offered a package of these with their admittedly nice razors. At some point they understood their mistake and replaced them with a package of Feathers. Not a very wise choice for a beginner if you ask me...

Nick, when I switched from cartridges to DE back in 2010, I actually learned with Feathers. One common mistake in the early days is to use too much pressure. A sharp Feather blade will teach you to back off pretty quickly. That was my thinking and I have to say I'm glad I took that approach.

34 5,346
 04-30-2018, 02:10 PM
User Info
Maybe, that is why they named them Feather. Learn to shave with the light touch of a feather and you have mastered the "art of the shave."
I too, (after 30+ years of injector and carts)  learned with Feather, first razor and blades were the DS-1, second was the DS-2.

0 660
 04-30-2018, 02:22 PM
User Info
A derby was the first blade I ever DE shaved with. I didn't have anything to compare to but I thought it was "OK".

1 64
 04-30-2018, 06:55 PM
User Info
(04-30-2018, 11:35 AM)nikos.a Wrote: There was a time not long ago that Edwin Jagger offered a package of these with their admittedly nice razors. At some point they understood their mistake and replaced them with a package of Feathers. Not a very wise choice for a beginner if you ask me...

Yep, when I bought my Edwin Jagger it came with a pack of Derby, I instead used a Dorco 300 I had from God knows where for my first wetshave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 19
 04-30-2018, 08:11 PM
User Info
IMO, Derby blades when used with a slant razor is a perfect combination.

0 22
 04-30-2018, 11:19 PM
User Info
Thinking about it, the Derby might be a decent blade, but marred by a horrible reputation. And the horrible reputation could in part stem from the fact that it's often included - at least by Merkur - as a freebie blade with new razors, so the very first shave anyone do with a DE is likely to be with a Derby. And we all know how well that first shave went, don't we?

3 5,609
 05-01-2018, 10:25 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
Sounds like it is likely the blade.

But I have to say I think there is such thing as a bad brush. Any brush that irritates your face is a bad brush. I've had many of these. Get rid of them fast.

81 3,374
 05-02-2018, 04:58 AM
User Info
(04-30-2018, 11:21 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Derbys are an enigma.  They get consistently terrible reviews, yet there seem to be a lot of guys who get good shaves from them.  ...

I'm not one of them.  Terrible blades.

1 491
 05-02-2018, 05:39 AM
User Info
I cannot understand why some new razors come with a terrible brand of blade........at least terrible for most guys.  Ship with a blade that gets a good reputation or the purchaser will think the razor is awful.

0 97
 05-02-2018, 06:41 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-02-2018, 05:39 AM)Roy Wrote: I cannot understand why some new razors come with a terrible brand of blade........at least terrible for most guys.  Ship with a blade that gets a good reputation or the purchaser will think the razor is awful.
Totally agree... Beginners will think they need to go back to cartridges. Maybe Gillette is behind the scenes making these decisions...

81 3,374
 05-02-2018, 08:49 AM
User Info
(04-29-2018, 12:10 PM)zipper Wrote: So, I had this horrible shave today. When you have a bad experience you naturally break down the 
components and find out, what exactly went wrong. Right? Was it the soap ? No, used it many times.
The razor? No, used it many times. Technique? Maybe, but I've been doing this for years. Blade ?
Was a new blade(Derby). Yes! I think the blade.... Thumbsup One thing that I don't question, the brush.
It's the least important part of the shave. Any brush, even a hand can put an adequate layer of 
lather on my face. I ask myself, why do I have 14 brushes, when A-N-Y one of them will do a 
satisfactory job. I just don't know.... Facepalm

Derbys suck. The last time I used one was over six years ago. I think maybe I tried two blades just to make sure the first one wasn't an outlier. 

With regard to brushes, I actually think they can possibly make a significant difference. I have 64-year-old, much-abused, paper-thin skin. I've noticed that some very scritchy brushes (e.g., real Old Rooney Finests) seem to contribute to more small nicks than non-scritchy brushes. My theory, for which I have no real proof, is that scritch can result from very tiny micro-scratches (i.e, rows of removed skin cells) that look and act like ruts from the perspective of a razor-blade's microns- thick edge. 

Anyhow, I don't judge brushes based solely on their ability to delivery satisfactory results. I can drink tea, beer, wine, or whiskey from Dixie cups just as easily as from finer, more varied, and more expensive vessels. But why would I want to given a choice?

3 1,160