08-22-2018, 06:28 AM
User Info
(08-22-2018, 06:04 AM)DanLaw Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 12:12 PM)Chaturvedi.ankit Wrote: I received the razor this weekend and got a chance to try it out.

Firstly, thanks alot to Dan to give me an opportunity to be part of this passaround and definitely a razor which i wanted to try before i think of buying. This is a razor which i have seen mixed reviews and believed that seems like one of those truly YMMV razors which works for some and doesnt work for some.

Lets get started then with what i feel after 1 shave.

The build is very good for the razor, it truly feels like a premium razor, very well built. But as some others have mentioned, the handle feels a bit short and you cannot add other handles which then forces you to use this handle only but i can live with it till its usable and i think the handle is not slippery and has a good weight, so overall great design and balance.

I wasnt able to shave for a week before this so that was a great opportunity for the razor to prove its efficiency on a lot of hair, i paired the razor(SB plate) with a new feather blade ( which i normally do with all razors which i try for first time) and the first pass was very comfortable. The razor did struggle with being clogged with hair and no drain holes means you have to losen the plates a bit to clean the razor which i dont really like to do after every pass.

I did a 3 pass shave and got nicked once which i will blame myself on not being used to the razor for now and things should improve next time. Overall, good DFS shave( i cant get BBS due to my skin issues) and using the razor was a pleasure. I dont the blade gap but i think its a bit mild as i didnt feel the blade much.

I will use the razor a few more times over the week and then will be able to decide that if i want to buy the razor or not

if gap too tight, try oc base as it is @16% wider

Cool, will try that tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 219
 09-06-2018, 01:35 PM
User Info
(08-22-2018, 06:28 AM)Chaturvedi.ankit Wrote:
(08-22-2018, 06:04 AM)DanLaw Wrote:
(08-20-2018, 12:12 PM)Chaturvedi.ankit Wrote: I received the razor this weekend and got a chance to try it out.

Firstly, thanks alot to Dan to give me an opportunity to be part of this passaround and definitely a razor which i wanted to try before i think of buying. This is a razor which i have seen mixed reviews and believed that seems like one of those truly YMMV razors which works for some and doesnt work for some.

Lets get started then with what i feel after 1 shave.

The build is very good for the razor, it truly feels like a premium razor, very well built. But as some others have mentioned, the handle feels a bit short and you cannot add other handles which then forces you to use this handle only but i can live with it till its usable and i think the handle is not slippery and has a good weight, so overall great design and balance.

I wasnt able to shave for a week before this so that was a great opportunity for the razor to prove its efficiency on a lot of hair, i paired the razor(SB plate) with a new feather blade ( which i normally do with all razors which i try for first time) and the first pass was very comfortable. The razor did struggle with being clogged with hair and no drain holes means you have to losen the plates a bit to clean the razor which i dont really like to do after every pass.

I did a 3 pass shave and got nicked once which i will blame myself on not being used to the razor for now and things should improve next time. Overall, good DFS shave( i cant get BBS due to my skin issues) and using the razor was a pleasure. I dont the blade gap but i think its a bit mild as i didnt feel the blade much.

I will use the razor a few more times over the week and then will be able to decide that if i want to buy the razor or not

if gap too tight, try oc base as it is @16% wider

Sorry guys for a late update.

I did try the other plate as Dan suggested and I have to say it made a lot of difference to my experience. The shave was much smoother for me and i did enjoy it.

Just to see that this is not a one off experience I kept the razor for few more days to give it a go on a heavy beard with OC plate. I was still using my feather blade which was on its 3rd shave and still going strong, i again had a pleasant experience and got a DFS in 3 passes which is the max i can achieve for my skin.

Final thoughts, I do like the razor but the short handle doesnt help and also if i want to buy the razor i will prefer to get only OC plate rather than both.

The razor was shipped to next person in line and should have it by now. Happy Shaving everyone !

10 219
 09-07-2018, 03:51 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
(09-06-2018, 01:35 PM)Chaturvedi.ankit Wrote:
(08-22-2018, 06:28 AM)Chaturvedi.ankit Wrote:
(08-22-2018, 06:04 AM)DanLaw Wrote: if gap too tight, try oc base as it is @16% wider

Sorry guys for a late update.

I did try the other plate as Dan suggested and I have to say it made a lot of difference to my experience. The shave was much smoother for me and i did enjoy it.

Just to see that this is not a one off experience I kept the razor for few more days to give it a go on a heavy beard with OC plate. I was still using my feather blade which was on its 3rd shave and still going strong, i again had a pleasant experience and got a DFS in 3 passes which is the max i can achieve for my skin.

Final thoughts, I do like the razor but the short handle doesnt help and also if i want to buy the razor i will prefer to get only OC plate rather than both.

The razor was shipped to next person in line and should have it by now. Happy Shaving everyone !

How long is the handle?  It looks pretty long in the pictures.

3 646
 09-16-2018, 07:35 PM
User Info
Any additional reviews of this razor?

12 512
 09-17-2018, 09:24 AM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
We’re tracking it down

3 369
 09-20-2018, 12:57 AM
User Info
After reading through all of this thread, I went completely bananas yesterday and ordered the Masamune, when I found a webshop in Portugal that had it for an astoundingly reasonable price.

Hoping for it to arrive tomorrow, so I can try it over the weekend.

2 150
 09-30-2018, 11:41 AM
User Info
Hi Folks.

First of all a bit thanks to @"DanLaw" for the opportunity to try this razor.  At the price point it's good to be able to try the razor before committing to it. 

Initial impressions are very positive.  Fit and finish is up there with the best of the  manufacturers (Wolfman, Blackland, et al).  Dimensions of the razor head most closely resembles the standard gap wolfman with it's slimmer overall profile which makes it excellent around tight spaces.  The unique slotting handle-head design makes for a very secure grip on the blade and the razor is dead silent.  The head has such an amazingly strong grip on the blade that you really have to be careful in your technique less you cut yourself; more on this later.

Handle grip was good as expected for a stain finish.  The finish, however, did not exhibit any 'drag' which I attribute to the compactness of the head and the minimal corresponding contact with your skin.  The included stand, is the stand out (pun?) by being both small in form factor, but secure in stability.  It's evident that the Tarta spent time perfecting the fit and finish.  

The unique hande-head designs means that some blades don't fit completely 100%; the center hole of some blades are a bit to narrow for the top cap center post and you have to sightly wiggle the blade down.  Securing the head on the handle does, however, works well to bring these blade to its normal position and has no effect on the shave.

The razor is very blade dependent.  I found that my normal 'smooth' blades such as Vockshods and Derby Premiums don't work as smooth as I normally experience.  Interestingly enough, however, I found that super aggressive blades (such as Feathers, wizamet super iridium) are significantly tamed down and work AMAZING with the razor.  I found that 'vintage' blades did NOT like this razor at all and tended to be tuggy and uncomfortable for me.  This modern razor likes modern blades.

As noted above, the razor head has a vice like grip on the blade.  I found that I take for granted my technique with some razors and rely on a bit of blade flex to tell me I'm about to cut myself due to poor technique.  I think you all know that feeling when the blade just feels slightly 'off' and you know immediately to back off.  With the tight secure grip the head-handle design has on the blade, there is ZERO blade flex and having the head slightly off will result in nicks without you knowing at the time since the cut is so smooth.  I have cut myself more times using this razor for the last 2 week than I have in the entire year prior.  These were not deep "you-know-you-screwed-up" kind of gushing cuts, but more ather the "I-knew-I-was-a-bit-careless-on-this-angle-pass" slow weeping cuts that show up 5-10 seconds later.  Upon contemplations, I know it was me and not the razor.

As expected, the open comb is more aggressive than the solid bar.  The open comb's teeth are well spaced out and rounded in such a great way that I couldn't tell the face feel between the two. The open-comb, however, is much more aggressive and I got most of the weepers with it.  I still, however, prefer the open comb as it feels as smooth as the solid bar, while still being more efficient and closer.

For the quality of the shave, I would slot this razor in between the BBS-1 (my number one razor) and a polished open comb Blackbird.

For the price-performance ratio I would slot this razor at the top when you factor in the fact that you get BOTH base plates AND the stand for <$300.  

Definitely recommended for someone looking for a high end razor but could not get a Wolfman (which ranks at the bottom for price-performance, despite being tops for pure performance).

The razor is currently on it's way to the next user in California.

18 659
 10-03-2018, 08:57 AM
User Info
Tatara SB vs Game Changer 84. Chinese Wilkinson (2). I did not find the Tatara SB too mild as others have reported, it provides no real feedback but it cuts just fine. Both razors do a superb job though it's hard to ignore the fact that the GC sells for half of what the Tatara does. [Image: c3105e84ad800124370b3497ff189eae.jpg]

2 370
 10-13-2018, 08:12 AM
User Info
Finishing up my week with this razor. Perfect handling and balance, so easy. Personally I get better results from the Tatara than the Blackbird (now traded), the Tatara is much more capable ATG on my head. But, as noted above, so is my Game Changer. I'll do a shave with my new Timeless tomorrow and make that comparison before sending off the razor off.[Image: efd219b83da45a82bbd643fab108096e.jpg]

2 370
 11-01-2018, 04:45 AM
User Info
I had the Tatara Masamune for 8 days, and shaved with it 4 times.  I used the open comb once, and the safety bar 3 times.  The open comb has more blade feel, 

however I found no difference in the results between them.  It compares to a Feather AS-D2 or a Gillette Tech, with two shims under the blade; mild yet efficient.

The razor shaved well, had good weight and balance, and was a generally superior shaving tool.  My single complaint was the non-interchangeability of the handle.

The only handle that will fit that razor-head is the one that came with it, which limits your handle choices.  If you're okay with that, then this is an excellent razor.

My thanks to Dan Law for letting me try this razor.

[Image: 5alm8ua.jpg]

22 269
 11-20-2018, 11:53 AM
  • w_mcnabb
  • San Antonio, TX
User Info
Thanks to Dan for making this possible!  I enjoyed my week trying out the Tatara here are the shaves and notes as promised.

1. 11/2/2018
a. OC with brand new Feather palm stropped
b. Shavemac D01 3-Band; SV Manna Soap and AS
c. Efficient with very little audible feedback after first pass.  Lack of feedback likely due to how tight you can wrench down the handle?  Trouble spots completely smooth after touching up on face except for upper lip, not so much on head.  Angle must be perfect to achieve the efficiency so it is user error that my bald spot swirl or cul-de-sac outline where hair growth changes direction isn’t BBS. Should improve as I learn the angle.  Also tough to get neck as stretched skin is best for this razor.  Pretty impressed after first go though I must say. Definitely warm on AS application.  Got a few nicks due to unfamiliarity with required angle.  VERY rigid blade = amazingly smooth with zero pressure.

2. 11/3/2018
a. SB with same feather (technically 3rd shave due to the head shave?) with a little less than 24 hours growth face only
b. Chubby 1 Super; Shannon’s Eucalyptus Lemongrass; Myrsol Lemon
c. Better with angle today.  SB requires lots of touchups 2 pass likely not possible for me.  Feel like you can touchup forever without irritation though.  No noticeable sting with AS application

3. 11/4/2018
a. OC with same feather head and face
b. 3XL Finest; LASS Woody Lavender; Krampert’s Frostbite
c. Way better results on the head after dialing in the angle much better. Required quite a lot of touching up on the head but zero irritation or nicks today. Tried for single ATG pass on face due to not much growth after 3 days with this razor.  Again required quite a bit of touching up but just crazy smooth and ends up BBS for a long time after done.  Zero sting with AS application.  These shaves take a while. Longer than I would like for week days but this just may be the best 'take your time on the weekend' razor I’ve experienced.

4. 11/5/2018
a. OC with fresh Polsilver face only
b. M6 Manchurian; LASS Woody Lavender; Speick
c. Tuggy which is odd for me with a polsilver.  No burn from the speick.

5. 11/7/2018
a. OC with same Polsilver head and face
b. Polo 8 Manchurian; LASS Woody Lavender; Krampert’s Frostbite
c. Weird no pulling this time with the same blade… Must have been bad technique.  Head shave was pretty phenomenal after getting more and more confidence keeping it on the angle each time.  Close and smooth with zero burn on the face.  I’m starting to like this razor quite a bit.  Not the closest shaver for me but BBS is achievable in 2 passes (xtg -> atg) + touch-ups and have not gotten even a hint of irritation from it.

6. 11/8/2018
a. OC with same Polsilver face only
b. 58 Best; L&L Original; Musgo Real Splash
c. Great shave.  The soap and splash mesh nicely as well…

94 481
 11-21-2018, 12:15 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
First and foremost a hearty thank you to DanLaw for organizing this pass around!

Comparison to ATT. I would say the Masamune lines up with the R1/R2. The Masamune has a touch less blade feel but was more efficient for me. If you enjoy the R series than this razor would be worthwhile for you to try. Between the two my preference was for the Masamune.

Comparison to the Blackbird. I am not too sure this is comparing apples to apples. Many who adore the Blackbird specifically highlight the hallmark blade feel as their favorite feature. It can be aggressive for some. However, the results are similar for me. If you crave that above average blade feel than you might be disappointed.

Comparison to AS-D2. I get why so many compare these two razors. They are similar in size and both have that minimalist design. The shave experience is similar in the below average blade feel but above average efficiency goes to the Masamune. Both are extremely comfortable daily drivers. I would suggest they are partner razors and if you like one there is a high probability you would like the other. They both present a unique personality.

The grip on the handle is very well done. I expected average but it might be the best grip on a handle that I have used. It even outperforms traditional knurling in my opinion. Some have criticized the handle because it is required for the razor and is not interchangeable with other handles. However, I view this razor as one that is intentionally off the beaten path in all regards. I respect the design as a work of art going beyond what many have done. So for me, I see the proprietary design of the handle as a positive. I enjoy the different and unique. But I understand that trade off for being less practical for some. The size of the razor was ideal for me and I was unable to generate any strong criticism of the design.

This is the smoothest and most efficient DE I have used. It really is an outlier in that regard. And now I will pursue a purchase of my own Tatara Masamune. I would suggest the experience is worth the effort in tracking one down.

[Image: DehTjQh.jpg]

0 307
 11-26-2018, 02:02 PM
  • DanLaw
  • Just an old slow fat man
  • Peachtree City, GA
User Info
As info, concluding the Tatara Passaround so selling the razor with 2 baseplates and stand.  It is being offered first to the passaround subscribers but after hearing from them in next 2 days, if no interest, releasing to public.  

We are at the conclusion of the passaround and I am looking to sell this razor complete with original box, certificates, 2 baseplates and stand in excellent condition.    The money will be used for canine rescues so going to a good cause.  Asking $225 shipped ConUS.  Please let me know either way as soon as possible as there is a rescue we would like to take in.

Anybody interested from following this thread, drop me a pm or email and will place you in queue - will notify all by end of week.

Dan Law
dermotorsports@gmail.com
Best
D

3 369
 12-04-2018, 03:35 PM
User Info
Firstly, I'd like to thank DanLaw for organizing this pass-around and for giving me the opportunity to try this razor.

My first impression of the razor is that it is very well made. The razor was easy to assemble and came together very precisely. I noticed how the tapering of the handle shaft is used to center the top cap and baseplate--very nice touch! The fit and finish meets my expectation for a razor in this price range.

I started off with the SB plate using a fresh Gillette Silver Blue blade. The technique to use this razor is intuitive. I found the appropriate shaving angle immediately and was rewarded with a fantastic shave. It was remarkably smooth and without a hint of irritation. I followed up with shaves the next two subsequent days using the same blade. All of the shaves were excellent.

After 3 shaves with the SB plate, I picked up a new GSB blade and tried the OC plate. I found the shaves with the OC plate to be good, but perhaps just a touch less smooth than the SB plate. On one shave, I did get just a hint of irritation near the corner of my mouth, probably due to trying to buff a tricky spot for me.

If I had to pick just a single baseplate, I would definitely go with the SB (which is consistent since all of my favorite razors have been SB). I don't usually use a razor stand, but using the one that came with the razor was enjoyable and I would probably add it to my order if I were to purchase this razor.

I really was wowed after my first shave and was thinking of purchasing this razor during the remainder of the day. However, after a few more shaves, I realized that, although the razor is excellent, it doesn't offer me a shave that I don't already get from another razor. I get an equally comfortable and close shave with my PILs razor or several others in my collection. I've tried out dozens of high end razors over the years, so I'm reaching a point where it is getting to be very difficult to topple my current favorite razors in my collection. In the end, I'm not sure that I can justify the relatively high price for this razor.

I would definitely recommend the Tatara razor to anyone looking for a smooth, comfortable shave. Despite the smoothness, the razor has good efficiency and results in very good shave closeness. Due to sensitive skin, I'm not one to chase a BBS shave. However, I was still impressed with the shave quality that I was able to achieve immediately using this razor.

5 109