09-03-2012, 10:06 PM
  • matthewS
  • sillycon valley
User Info
just found this on The Art of Shaving web site.
uggh, just cannot leave well enough alone can they.
$125 and $175, pure and fine
other than for someone with a handicap, i don't see the point.
however, with an open mind I ask, has anyone tried, perhaps I'm missing something.

weird enough that got my attention, I'm writing about it, I'm posting here, maybe that is the point.

http://www.theartofshaving.com/Power-Sha...lt,pd.html

Product Description:
The Power Shave Collection Power Brush, a first of its kind world-wide, lifts the beard with powered oscillations for a close and comfortable shave. Using advanced technology to modernize the wet shave tradition and enhance the lathering experience. The precise motion generates a rich, moisturizing lather into the hair to protect the skin. Ergonomically designed with a micro-textured surface for style and grip, the handle is elegantly handcrafted in polished chrome with black lacquered accents.

How to Use: Press the power button once to start the oscillating motion. Low Power Signal…Blue light blinks when battery power is low. Automatic Shut-off turns brush off after about 2 minutes in case of accidental activation.

1 15
 09-03-2012, 10:46 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Welcome to the P&G world! Vibrating razors and now vibrating brushes too! (what would be the next vibrating thing in the wet shaving world of P&G?)

86 7,123
 09-03-2012, 10:53 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The next thing will be your vibrating wallet as your money heads for the P&G bank account.

173 23,538
 09-03-2012, 11:47 PM
User Info
My best guess who this is intended for:
> Gadget freaks
> Lazy people with too much money
> People who don't know better
> Possible people with disabilities, but the handle don't look quite right for that.

But as y'all know; YMMV and all that. If someone wants to put down the cash for something like this and enjoys using it, it's no skin of my back. It sort of reminds me of the vibrating cartridge razors - I've yet to see any proof that they shave better than the non-vibrating kind*, yet they still sell like there is no tomorrow...

The next step would be the vibrating can of goo - or the can of vibrating goo, if they can make the batteries small enough 24

*) And I'm certain that a DE or SE shaves better than either...

3 3,577
 09-04-2012, 12:48 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I tried it. I wanted to hate it. But it works... And it works well! The vibration speeds the building process up and gets a lot of air in to the lather...

91 17,851
 09-04-2012, 03:31 PM
User Info
I also saw this at the AOS over weekend while I was at the mall.

0 91
 09-04-2012, 03:38 PM
User Info
I wonder if one could place a damp battery powered brush in a battery powered scuttle with a dab of cream in the bottom and return in 5 minutes to automatic lather.

47 1,270
 09-04-2012, 03:41 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
Could work well for someone who suffers from arthritis in the wrist/hand or carpal tunnel.

10 1,120
 09-04-2012, 04:00 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
It's certainly nothing I would want. As was pointed out, if it really did help someone with an infirmity then I could see its purpose but it certainly isn't marketed that way.

2 11,211
 09-04-2012, 05:11 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I would think Ron Popeil would have a ball with this one.

"Are you tired of trying to lather soaps like Mitchells Wool Fat, Herban Cowboy, and Caswell Maxey"

"Does your arm tire during the lather making process"

"get the rich creamy lather your beard deserves in half the time with the Ronco Lather Blaster".

116 3,804
 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
(09-04-2012, 03:41 PM)MickToley Wrote: Could work well for someone who suffers from arthritis in the wrist/hand or carpal tunnel.

This has got to be an even bigger YMMV issue than scent... that being said, I have pretty serious Rheumatoid Arthritis. It was to the point when I was 27 that I really couldn't even walk for a period of time. Bad news bears.
Anyway, through diet, exercise, and some meds I'm to a point now (at 30 yrs old) that I can fool most people into thinking I'm normal. 24

I tend to shave a times of day when my hands and wrists are swollen and sore (morning or evening of course...), and face lathering is definitely the answer for me. I can basically keep my hand and wrist in a locked position, using my shoulder and elbow to do all of the moving of the brush on my face. If anybody is curious about this, next time you face lather try doing so without moving your actual hand or wrist, but only moving your arm once your brush is to your face... it's easier than you might think.

Anyway, like I said, this stupid disease and/or condition (and countless other conditions) affect people in so many different ways that YMMV plays a huge factor, but for some reason I felt compelled to share.

11 366
 09-04-2012, 05:43 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(09-04-2012, 05:20 PM)brian Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 03:41 PM)MickToley Wrote: Could work well for someone who suffers from arthritis in the wrist/hand or carpal tunnel.

This has got to be an even bigger YMMV issue than scent... that being said, I have pretty serious Rheumatoid Arthritis. It was to the point when I was 27 that I really couldn't even walk for a period of time. Bad news bears.
Anyway, through diet, exercise, and some meds I'm to a point now (at 30 yrs old) that I can fool most people into thinking I'm normal. 24

I tend to shave a times of day when my hands and wrists are swollen and sore (morning or evening of course...), and face lathering is definitely the answer for me. I can basically keep my hand and wrist in a locked position, using my shoulder and elbow to do all of the moving of the brush on my face. If anybody is curious about this, next time you face lather try doing so without moving your actual hand or wrist, but only moving your arm once your brush is to your face... it's easier than you might think.

Anyway, like I said, this stupid disease and/or condition (and countless other conditions) affect people in so many different ways that YMMV plays a huge factor, but for some reason I felt compelled to share.

I might give it a try, my wrist tends to get pretty fatigued while face lathering, I often switch hands.

10 1,120
 09-04-2012, 06:50 PM
User Info
Well, when I first read the subject of the thread I thought it was laughable also, but after reading Brians post I suppose it does have a place.

Speaking of Ron Popeil... cross his inside the egg shell egg scrambler of 30 years ago with Red Greens (PBS) Rube Goldberg contraptions. Take some duct tape and put a brush on the scrambler. Instant and cheap motorized brush.

32 6,309
 09-04-2012, 07:21 PM
User Info
I almost won one on eBay for 60 bucks. I think it went for 70. I wanted to try it for the sake of being able to say that I have. Wouldn't pay that much for it or for any AOS brush for that matter. I will sing high praises for AOS software but hardware is not worth it in my humble opinion.

8 118
 09-04-2012, 08:36 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(09-04-2012, 05:20 PM)brian Wrote:

Brian, my wife has been battling Rheumatoid Arthritis for the last 3 years. Like you she is young and "appears normal." In reality, continual pain, reduced mobility and depression are constant reminders that her condition will continue to deteriorate. Along with a myriad of medication (which harms her body as much as it masks any pain or assists with joint inflammation) my wife also fights for a sense of normality with strict diet and exercise (specifically yoga, as she is unable to do anything impact related like running etc).

My wife actually purchased the powered brush for me as an unexpected gift. As it was from her I felt compelled to try it. The added weight of the batteries might be an issue, but if you feel this brush might assist you, I stand by my assertion that it actually works well and I'd be happy to gift it to you. Send me a PM with your address if you would like to try it. I know my wife would be happy in the knowledge that another RA sufferer's life was made a little less challenging...

91 17,851
 09-04-2012, 08:56 PM
User Info
(09-03-2012, 10:53 PM)Johnny Wrote: The next thing will be your vibrating wallet as your money heads for the P&G bank account.

Hee hee!

75 20,883
 09-05-2012, 03:44 PM
  • brian
  • I wear sandalwood sandles
  • THE SWAMP (Florida)
User Info
WOW BEN! I don't know how I managed not to see this until just now, but I'm deeply humbled by your incredible offer! Wow. Just wow.
I can't justify taking a brush from you that was given as a gift, but if/when my wrists can't handle a good face lather I will absolutely buy one of these on your recommendation.
It's a huge relief to hear somebody else faces the same issues daily... God bless your wife for doing what she can to feel "normal", and God bless you for understanding what she's going through.
Thank you, thank you for sharing!

11 366
 09-05-2012, 03:56 PM
User Info
Ben, that's a very generous offer and a class act.

I had no idea rheumatoid arthritis can people in such a way.

0 241
 09-05-2012, 04:07 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Great move Ben!! Im wondering if for that kind of money a guy could just buy a hot lather machine like barbers have

115 1,692
 09-05-2012, 05:01 PM
  • matthewS
  • sillycon valley
User Info
when I started this thread I'd only learned of on web. now I've since been to AOS. also I had sort of an immediate sneer towards this, with one possible caveat " other than for someone with a handicap, i don't see the point. " great to find that was true, and this has helped people.

I did try in store, had great vibration, seemed built well, however as I'm still waiting for my first ever shave brush to arrive in the mail, don't have more to say in experience.

salesperson helped a customer who said his stopped working. turns out it has a mode that keeps it from being accidently turned on when traveling. think buzzing bag and airport security. people sometimes accidentally activate it.

also noticed large variety between AOS stores. some have only 1 model of Merkur razor on display, others have all AND have straight razors. as first time I looked at brush and razor was in an AOS store, seems sad that some are almost totally moving away from the safety razor, as may be only exposure many get.

1 15