04-30-2018, 11:22 PM
User Info
Every man remembers his first shave, according to the internet...

I don't.

I do remember my first shave with a traditional safety razor though, and how my face looked afterwards... was hooked right away, despite several nicks. Thinking about it, I do believe my first shaves as a pimply teen was with an unremarkable electric razor... a no-brand rotary.

First experiments with carts and canned goo came a little later as I was gearing up for boot camp - I believe my logic was that you can't find an outlet while on exercise in the deep forests. The main takeaway from the first few years was that I dislike canned goo; left my face feeling dry and funky.

Enter stage right; a cheap brush and cream from BodyShop. Much better, even if ingrown hairs and shaving rash still plagued me.. at the time I though that was just how it was.

Over the next couple of decades I waffled between carts (Sensor and Sensor Excel), various electrics, and growing beards... until I was pointed in the direction of traditional wetshaving while I was gearing up for a one year Tour of Duty as a UN Military Observer in Africa - the logic at the time being that you can't always find an electrical outlet nor reliable buy carts while in a third world country... seems to be a common theme with why I switched to a cart years before.

The anticipation when I slid the Feather blade into my Parker R22 and slowly twisted it closed was palatable... and I promptly opened and closed it a few times to make 100% absolutely sure I had put it in right. I was happy with the lather I had made with my brand new Omega boar brush and my just as new tube of Proraso Green... even if looking back it was frankly not particularly good. And the less I say about my pre-shave, the better... because there is not much to say about splashing some warm water on ones face.

The feeling of sliding a traditional safety razor over my cheeks for the first time? Unforgettable. The actual sound of stubble being sliced through by a piece of wicked sharp steel? Simply wonderful.

Yes, there was several nicks. Blood was drawn - the Feathers is, in hindsight, way to sharp for an aggressive razor like the R22. My lather was too watery and provided little cushion. But despite all that I knew one thing for sure when I rinsed the bright red remains of watery lather of my face:

I wanted more.  Much more.

To summarise:
I think my first shave was forgotten because it wasn't anything special.
I do remember my first traditional shave because it was quite simply unforgettable.

3 5,691
 05-01-2018, 03:24 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-30-2018, 11:22 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Every man remembers his first shave, according to the internet...

I don't.

I do remember my first shave with a traditional safety razor though, and how my face looked afterwards... was hooked right away, despite several nicks.

A nice story, very parallel to mine so far as I have quoted above.  From that point forward, yours is more poetic.  

My father always shaved with an electric razor, and so that is how I started; he was partial to rotary head Norelco shavers, but when I bought my own, I got a Ronson branded Braun electric shaver, and I remember nothing about the circumstances surrounding that purchase.  I used only that shaver for about ten years, during the final two years of which I lived in Japan, where the shaver worked with the 50 Hz AC more slowly than it had with the 60Hz AC in the United States, but it worked.  

When I returned to the United States, I did so via a ship of the P&O Orient Lines (UK registry) that had 240V electrical circuits and mains outlets:  I knew before I boarded the ship that I could not plug in my shaver aboard that ship.  So on August 13, the day before I was to board in Yokohama, I purchased, in Tokyo, a can of Noxzema aerosol shave cream and a pack of Schick injector blades that would fit into a PAL Stainless Adjustable razor that I had taken to Japan as a fallback in case my Ronson electric shaver would not work there.  The first self-administered wet shave of my life, using the PAL razor and the Noxzema shave cream, was somewhere in the Western Pacific on August 15, the morning after I had boarded the ship, and that shave left my face a bloody mess.  Yeah, it was memorable.   Cool

1 1,260
 05-01-2018, 04:36 AM
User Info
My first was 1963/64. I came home from a Boy Scouts award ceremony, where I saw a girl pointing me out as I received 
an award by stroking her throat (I had long hair there) I was so upset, I went home and begged to shave it off.
My Dad loaded his Gillette with a fresh carbon steel blade and I shaved that goat tee off! When I joined the Army in 1966,
they issued me a Schick injector, which I used for the next 4 years.

0 747
 05-01-2018, 08:18 AM
User Info
I do remember my first.  1973.  Shick injector and ivory soap.  The only guidance I got from Dad was don't push down.  Hey, it worked and I used that combo until about 1976 when I tried the Gillette Trac II and shaving cream.  I'd likely still be using Trac II had they not made it hard to find and started pushing pivoting heads and ever-more blades.  Man, I hated life.  When I found out the old stuff was still available I went to DE and a Merkur 34C, Proraso, and Omega 10066.  Haven't made it back to injectors and might never will. Back to the beginning and wondering how I ever got derailed.

6 320
 05-09-2018, 09:31 AM
  • BSWoodturning
  • Co-Owner, Brad Sears ShaveWorks
  • Maryland Eastern Shore
User Info
(04-30-2018, 11:22 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Every man remembers his first shave, according to the internet...

I don't.

I do remember my first shave with a traditional safety razor though, and how my face looked afterwards... was hooked right away, despite several nicks. Thinking about it, I do believe my first shaves as a pimply teen was with an unremarkable electric razor... a no-brand rotary.

First experiments with carts and canned goo came a little later as I was gearing up for boot camp - I believe my logic was that you can't find an outlet while on exercise in the deep forests. The main takeaway from the first few years was that I dislike canned goo; left my face feeling dry and funky.

Enter stage right; a cheap brush and cream from BodyShop. Much better, even if ingrown hairs and shaving rash still plagued me.. at the time I though that was just how it was.

Over the next couple of decades I waffled between carts (Sensor and Sensor Excel), various electrics, and growing beards... until I was pointed in the direction of traditional wetshaving while I was gearing up for a one year Tour of Duty as a UN Military Observer in Africa - the logic at the time being that you can't always find an electrical outlet nor reliable buy carts while in a third world country... seems to be a common theme with why I switched to a cart years before.

The anticipation when I slid the Feather blade into my Parker R22 and slowly twisted it closed was palatable... and I promptly opened and closed it a few times to make 100% absolutely sure I had put it in right. I was happy with the lather I had made with my brand new Omega boar brush and my just as new tube of Proraso Green... even if looking back it was frankly not particularly good. And the less I say about my pre-shave, the better... because there is not much to say about splashing some warm water on ones face.

The feeling of sliding a traditional safety razor over my cheeks for the first time? Unforgettable. The actual sound of stubble being sliced through by a piece of wicked sharp steel? Simply wonderful.

Yes, there was several nicks. Blood was drawn - the Feathers is, in hindsight, way to sharp for an aggressive razor like the R22. My lather was too watery and provided little cushion. But despite all that I knew one thing for sure when I rinsed the bright red remains of watery lather of my face:

I wanted more.  Much more.

To summarise:
I think my first shave was forgotten because it wasn't anything special.
I do remember my first traditional shave because it was quite simply unforgettable.

Although I barely remember my first DE shave (probably around age 15-16), I definitely remember my first straight shave!  Facepalm

4 761
 05-09-2018, 11:09 AM
User Info
My first shave was around 15/16 with a Wilkinson Sword disposable razor and a can of shaving foam.
Not a very pleasant experience, no guidance from my Father and my Mother had bought the items grocery shopping. I think I waited 2 years before buying a Contour/Atra.

0 309
 05-09-2018, 11:47 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I remember a lot of things from '62, but not my first shave. (I wonder whether my girlfriend remembers? Biggrin)

38 5,617
 05-09-2018, 09:51 PM
User Info
No we don't! lol

8 409
 05-10-2018, 05:56 AM
User Info
I barely remember yesterday's shave.

~Royce

4 400
 05-10-2018, 07:40 AM
User Info
(05-10-2018, 05:56 AM)DudeAbides Wrote: I barely remember yesterday's shave.

~Royce

Biggrin

89 21,200
 05-11-2018, 04:15 AM
  • jar
User Info
Yup, the Internet lies.

0 256
 05-11-2018, 06:20 PM
User Info
(04-30-2018, 11:22 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I don't.

That's not what she said!

0 272
 05-12-2018, 04:12 AM
User Info
No clue...

48 4,624
 05-12-2018, 02:58 PM
User Info
I don't either, but I am sure it was with an old electric Schick razor. I also don't remember my first blade razor or what blade type that would be. I do remember buying my first Rolls Razor brand new at a gun show many, many years ago and also figuring out how to shave with it. And, it was probably the best razor I have ever used. Till I dropped the blade home side on the floor and it broke!!! More years of cartridge razor shaving then I wish I had ever experienced! So much expense! Yet it was a heck of a lot cheaper than the current DE/shaving cream chase now as an old man's hobby!!! Fun on a bun?? My wife's brother in law insists that dollar shave club is the best there ever was. But, his sarcasm and ignorance are not enviable traits. But he has so many of those traits! Definitely can't pick family, that's for sure!

0 52
 07-19-2018, 01:25 PM
User Info
I don't remember my first shave, it was probably with a disposable razor of the day (1977) like a Schick or Gillette cartridge and Barbasol in the can. Not very memorable.
I do remember Bic (white & orangish) disposables, ya needed 40 weight as a pre-shave oil, boy were those crapola!

First DE shave was March 10trh 2018, got my Amazon order in with a Viking Vulcan, Proraso Green Bowl soap, Miusco Badger Hair Shaving Brush, and Brass Shaving Bowl.
IIRC I semi-butcherd myself even with the mild blades in the Viking box, got a nice cut and a weeper, but I persevered.
Roommate gifted me with a Gillette 1960 Flair-Tip...and well, that got me going on the current path, 4 months later getting great shaves, 5 vintage razors added to the shave stable and a blade obsession.
Next soaps and creams...I need more brushes. Yes...gotta get more brushes!

0 33
 07-19-2018, 04:31 PM
User Info
Thumbup You got it Maxwell...….You always need more brushes.... Aaaaa

0 747
 07-19-2018, 09:45 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I remember mine.  A no name boar brush, Williams soap, Schick Injector, and Mennen Skin Bracer.  That was my shave for the first four years of shaving.  Then I added Colgate soap and Old Spice soap, and Aqua Velva to the mix.  The first 4 or 5 boar brushes I used are long gone and I no longer use Williams, Colgate, or Old Spice, but I still shave with that Schick Injector along with Mennen Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva.  That was July 16, 1961.  The brush, soap, and razor was given to me by my Dad for my 15th birthday.

180 24,981
 07-23-2018, 10:07 PM
User Info
(07-19-2018, 09:45 PM)Johnny Wrote: Well, I remember mine.  A no name boar brush, Williams soap, Schick Injector, and Mennen Skin Bracer.  That was my shave for the first four years of shaving.  Then I added Colgate soap and Old Spice soap, and Aqua Velva to the mix.  The first 4 or 5 boar brushes I used are long gone and I no longer use Williams, Colgate, or Old Spice, but I still shave with that Schick Injector along with Mennen Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva.  That was July 16, 1961.  The brush, soap, and razor was given to me by my Dad for my 15th birthday.

Thumbup

0 9
 07-25-2018, 04:04 AM
  • Vlasta
  • Default User Title
  • Hong Kong
User Info
This was my first shave - now over 18 months in... loving it. Serious custom razor addiction... I now live in my car and can only afford to eat from dumspters...

[img][Image: Shaving_zps5vkxjg9i.jpg][/img]
  • Geo F. Trumpers Lime Cream
  • Dovo straight razor bought from and honed by @Jarrod
  • Razor storage pouch from The Superior Shave site too
  • Strop - Dovo - not had the need to use it yet
  • Jagger Best Badger brush
  • Shaving Bowl - kids cereal bowl - photos on request only....
  • Alum block - standard stuff
Time - 10:00 was my start time.

I finished about 30 minutes later. Prep: Run hot water, 60 degrees, soak shaving brush for 1 minute. Soak hot towel and apply to face for 30 seconds x 2.Lather: - dabbed wet brush into cream to just cover tips. Whipped up a nice creamy foam in my cereal bowl then put the cereal bowl in another bowl of hot water to keep it warm - like a bain-marie.Application: Applied lather to face as per all the videos!!

Time to shave and I am not kidding I was scared. Will it slice my face? Will I score a jugular hit on the first stroke and spout my life blood all over the bathroom?..... I pucker up. I loop left hand over my head to try and tighten skin on my right cheek and then I am off - very VERY gently at first I make my first pass on my right cheek. The razor sings. IT IS ACTUALLY CUTTING WHISKERS... and not flesh. It feels great... I am on a roll now. I finish my first stroke and I am alive. I feel ALIVE. I wipe the razor on my wet towel and think to myself "This isn't too bad. Not too hard at all". I rub my fingers on my alum block to get grip and go for stroke 2. Still alive. I go down to the jaw line and beyond onto my throat. I cannot believe it I am actually shaving with a wickedly sharp razor on my throat and it feels safe, it feels good and by jingos it IS good!!Next I am confident - I go for the right hand side - the same. I live. No cuts yet. No nicks yet. I do the WTG pass on my left cheek and YES I used my left hand. I am now in the zone. I go for a WTG pass down the front of my neck - all good. Next - the chin. This is where I though I would slice myself for sure - noooooo. I did not. Not even a nick on my Adams apple

Thoughts - my first pass was a success in that I managed to do it ALL without cutting myself. It was not the closest shave in the world though and this did disappoint me so I put that down to nerves and being too gentle. My soap tended to dry out - how to fettle this?

Subsequent passes - another WTG and better result. Third pass XTG - getting better and better. Fourth pass - ATG on all surfaces.

I came out of it alive with only two teeny-weeny nicks, one on my left cheek near the side-burn and one on the tip of my chin - I mean really teeny - a pin prick.All in all I made four passes and got what I would call a reasonable level of shave and certainly better than with my Mach 3 thingos.

Not baby bottom smooth yet but I am sure it will come with practice.

Warmdown - Rinse, alum blocked and then Khiels after shave balm. I washed all equipment. Put the brush to dry in the breeze and dried and oiled my razor ready for next time.It takes me a couple of days to grow whiskers enough to go for round two but I am going to do it. More results soonBTW - no top lip report - I am growing a moustache so won't be shaving the top lip for a while, if ever...

[img][Image: P2284601_zpsu7bq5t2v.jpg][/img]

0 43
 07-28-2018, 04:08 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I don’t remember my first real shave. What I do remember was shaving with my Dad on Saturday mornings; he’d always use a Schick injector razor, canned foam and Noxzema. First he’d wash his face and then rub it with Noxzema (miracle cream he called it) following which he’d apply some canned cream; I followed him to the T, but since I didn’t have even bum fluff on my face (I was about 8) he’d give me one of his Schick injectors sans blade. When it came time for me to start shaving properly, low and behold my Dad gave me a battery operated Philips electric razor; a dreadful piece of kit, but it did remove most of the bumph from my face for a couple of years. Fortunately My colouring is fair (reddish/brownish blonde) so I don’t have a heavy beard and thus didn’t have to start shaving regularly until I was 18/19. In the +50years since then I’ve tried a myriad of shaving kit except for a straight razor (it’s called a cut-throat for good reason). After years of experimenting with all kinds of DEs, SEs and cartridges I’m back to my tried and true Mach3 and Sensor. Over the years I’ve tried various canned creams and gels, but have always found myself going back to a badger brush and quality shaving cream; today I own 27 badgers, 3 boars, 1 bodger and 3 synthetics which are just for travel; I tried horse, but that didn’t last long.

9 1,032