04-30-2018, 11:22 PM
User Info
Every man remembers his first shave, according to the internet...

I don't.

I do remember my first shave with a traditional safety razor though, and how my face looked afterwards... was hooked right away, despite several nicks. Thinking about it, I do believe my first shaves as a pimply teen was with an unremarkable electric razor... a no-brand rotary.

First experiments with carts and canned goo came a little later as I was gearing up for boot camp - I believe my logic was that you can't find an outlet while on exercise in the deep forests. The main takeaway from the first few years was that I dislike canned goo; left my face feeling dry and funky.

Enter stage right; a cheap brush and cream from BodyShop. Much better, even if ingrown hairs and shaving rash still plagued me.. at the time I though that was just how it was.

Over the next couple of decades I waffled between carts (Sensor and Sensor Excel), various electrics, and growing beards... until I was pointed in the direction of traditional wetshaving while I was gearing up for a one year Tour of Duty as a UN Military Observer in Africa - the logic at the time being that you can't always find an electrical outlet nor reliable buy carts while in a third world country... seems to be a common theme with why I switched to a cart years before.

The anticipation when I slid the Feather blade into my Parker R22 and slowly twisted it closed was palatable... and I promptly opened and closed it a few times to make 100% absolutely sure I had put it in right. I was happy with the lather I had made with my brand new Omega boar brush and my just as new tube of Proraso Green... even if looking back it was frankly not particularly good. And the less I say about my pre-shave, the better... because there is not much to say about splashing some warm water on ones face.

The feeling of sliding a traditional safety razor over my cheeks for the first time? Unforgettable. The actual sound of stubble being sliced through by a piece of wicked sharp steel? Simply wonderful.

Yes, there was several nicks. Blood was drawn - the Feathers is, in hindsight, way to sharp for an aggressive razor like the R22. My lather was too watery and provided little cushion. But despite all that I knew one thing for sure when I rinsed the bright red remains of watery lather of my face:

I wanted more.  Much more.

To summarise:
I think my first shave was forgotten because it wasn't anything special.
I do remember my first traditional shave because it was quite simply unforgettable.

3 5,258
 05-01-2018, 03:24 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(04-30-2018, 11:22 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Every man remembers his first shave, according to the internet...

I don't.

I do remember my first shave with a traditional safety razor though, and how my face looked afterwards... was hooked right away, despite several nicks.

A nice story, very parallel to mine so far as I have quoted above.  From that point forward, yours is more poetic.  

My father always shaved with an electric razor, and so that is how I started; he was partial to rotary head Norelco shavers, but when I bought my own, I got a Ronson branded Braun electric shaver, and I remember nothing about the circumstances surrounding that purchase.  I used only that shaver for about ten years, during the final two years of which I lived in Japan, where the shaver worked with the 50 Hz AC more slowly than it had with the 60Hz AC in the United States, but it worked.  

When I returned to the United States, I did so via a ship of the P&O Orient Lines (UK registry) that had 240V electrical circuits and mains outlets:  I knew before I boarded the ship that I could not plug in my shaver aboard that ship.  So on August 13, the day before I was to board in Yokohama, I purchased, in Tokyo, a can of Noxzema aerosol shave cream and a pack of Schick injector blades that would fit into a PAL Stainless Adjustable razor that I had taken to Japan as a fallback in case my Ronson electric shaver would not work there.  The first self-administered wet shave of my life, using the PAL razor and the Noxzema shave cream, was somewhere in the Western Pacific on August 15, the morning after I had boarded the ship, and that shave left my face a bloody mess.  Yeah, it was memorable.   Cool

1 1,176
 05-01-2018, 04:36 AM
User Info
My first was 1963/64. I came home from a Boy Scouts award ceremony, where I saw a girl pointing me out as I received 
an award by stroking her throat (I had long hair there) I was so upset, I went home and begged to shave it off.
My Dad loaded his Gillette with a fresh carbon steel blade and I shaved that goat tee off! When I joined the Army in 1966,
they issued me a Schick injector, which I used for the next 4 years.

0 263
 05-01-2018, 08:18 AM
User Info
I do remember my first.  1973.  Shick injector and ivory soap.  The only guidance I got from Dad was don't push down.  Hey, it worked and I used that combo until about 1976 when I tried the Gillette Trac II and shaving cream.  I'd likely still be using Trac II had they not made it hard to find and started pushing pivoting heads and ever-more blades.  Man, I hated life.  When I found out the old stuff was still available I went to DE and a Merkur 34C, Proraso, and Omega 10066.  Haven't made it back to injectors and might never will. Back to the beginning and wondering how I ever got derailed.

6 287
 05-09-2018, 09:31 AM
User Info
(04-30-2018, 11:22 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: Every man remembers his first shave, according to the internet...

I don't.

I do remember my first shave with a traditional safety razor though, and how my face looked afterwards... was hooked right away, despite several nicks. Thinking about it, I do believe my first shaves as a pimply teen was with an unremarkable electric razor... a no-brand rotary.

First experiments with carts and canned goo came a little later as I was gearing up for boot camp - I believe my logic was that you can't find an outlet while on exercise in the deep forests. The main takeaway from the first few years was that I dislike canned goo; left my face feeling dry and funky.

Enter stage right; a cheap brush and cream from BodyShop. Much better, even if ingrown hairs and shaving rash still plagued me.. at the time I though that was just how it was.

Over the next couple of decades I waffled between carts (Sensor and Sensor Excel), various electrics, and growing beards... until I was pointed in the direction of traditional wetshaving while I was gearing up for a one year Tour of Duty as a UN Military Observer in Africa - the logic at the time being that you can't always find an electrical outlet nor reliable buy carts while in a third world country... seems to be a common theme with why I switched to a cart years before.

The anticipation when I slid the Feather blade into my Parker R22 and slowly twisted it closed was palatable... and I promptly opened and closed it a few times to make 100% absolutely sure I had put it in right. I was happy with the lather I had made with my brand new Omega boar brush and my just as new tube of Proraso Green... even if looking back it was frankly not particularly good. And the less I say about my pre-shave, the better... because there is not much to say about splashing some warm water on ones face.

The feeling of sliding a traditional safety razor over my cheeks for the first time? Unforgettable. The actual sound of stubble being sliced through by a piece of wicked sharp steel? Simply wonderful.

Yes, there was several nicks. Blood was drawn - the Feathers is, in hindsight, way to sharp for an aggressive razor like the R22. My lather was too watery and provided little cushion. But despite all that I knew one thing for sure when I rinsed the bright red remains of watery lather of my face:

I wanted more.  Much more.

To summarise:
I think my first shave was forgotten because it wasn't anything special.
I do remember my first traditional shave because it was quite simply unforgettable.

Although I barely remember my first DE shave (probably around age 15-16), I definitely remember my first straight shave!  Facepalm

4 704
 05-09-2018, 11:09 AM
User Info
My first shave was around 15/16 with a Wilkinson Sword disposable razor and a can of shaving foam.
Not a very pleasant experience, no guidance from my Father and my Mother had bought the items grocery shopping. I think I waited 2 years before buying a Contour/Atra.

0 305
 05-09-2018, 11:47 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I remember a lot of things from '62, but not my first shave. (I wonder whether my girlfriend remembers? Biggrin)

38 5,450
 05-09-2018, 09:51 PM
User Info
No we don't! lol

7 363
 05-10-2018, 05:56 AM
User Info
I barely remember yesterday's shave.

~Royce

4 392
 05-10-2018, 07:40 AM
User Info
(05-10-2018, 05:56 AM)DudeAbides Wrote: I barely remember yesterday's shave.

~Royce

Biggrin

87 21,180
 05-11-2018, 04:15 AM
  • jar
User Info
Yup, the Internet lies.

0 252
 05-11-2018, 06:20 PM
User Info
(04-30-2018, 11:22 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I don't.

That's not what she said!

0 254
 05-12-2018, 04:12 AM
User Info
No clue...

44 4,306
 05-12-2018, 02:58 PM
User Info
I don't either, but I am sure it was with an old electric Schick razor. I also don't remember my first blade razor or what blade type that would be. I do remember buying my first Rolls Razor brand new at a gun show many, many years ago and also figuring out how to shave with it. And, it was probably the best razor I have ever used. Till I dropped the blade home side on the floor and it broke!!! More years of cartridge razor shaving then I wish I had ever experienced! So much expense! Yet it was a heck of a lot cheaper than the current DE/shaving cream chase now as an old man's hobby!!! Fun on a bun?? My wife's brother in law insists that dollar shave club is the best there ever was. But, his sarcasm and ignorance are not enviable traits. But he has so many of those traits! Definitely can't pick family, that's for sure!

0 47