08-04-2018, 06:53 PM
User Info
Wegian, I don't remember my first shave growing up either. I can tell you that, like my dad, I used Mach 3. I also remember as a child having a fake shaving kit that had a brush and a soap in it, not that my dad ever wet shaved.

I also remember my first wet shave. It was only 2013, which I guess is a long enough time ago, but my wife got me an AoS kit and I used it in my Mandalay Bay hotel room, and I was hooked. And then I found B&B (sorry!) and that drove my soap collecting.

As a hobby, wet shaving is starting to wane. I still do it and have no interest in going back to foam or carts, but only half-heartedly pay attention to all the seasonal soaps and having been tempted by any of the newer brands like T&S. I still like looking in pharmacies when I travel the world too hoping to find creams and soaps out of curiosity.

6 956
 08-04-2018, 07:34 PM
User Info
I don't remember my 1st shave, but I remember my 1st shave in the U S Army. That was in 1966.

And I shaved with a DE razor. I did poorly with that DE, so I switched to an Electric Razor. 

I stayed with the Electric Razor for most of my life until I learned how to shave with DE razor.

Now I shave with a Gillette DE razor.

1 493
 08-05-2018, 02:14 AM
User Info
not any more at my age.

78 1,406
 08-05-2018, 03:16 AM
User Info
I don't remember my first shave with a Gillette Good News! Twin Blade but I do remember my first traditional wet shave with my father's 1959 Gillette Fat Boy, Wilkinson blade, Proraso soap, and a well-broken in boar brush.

I never looked back.

Graduated to a 6/8 Dovo Bismarck, then 3-piece safety razors, badger brushes, etc. & still hanging tough.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

3 180
 08-06-2018, 02:20 PM
User Info
My first shave was as a young teenager. I had a neck full of peach fuzz. One day, my mom looked at me and thought it was just too ridiculous, and hence it was time for my dad to teach me to shave it off. That night, my dad got me cartridge razors and a can of cream, and showed me how to use them. The shave was fairly comfortable, considering that I did not have any "real" hair growth just yet. It was all peach fuzz, so it came off smoothly, without nicks or irritation.

At that time, I also had the typical teenage boy mustache. Looking back, it sure was ugly, but I did not want to shave it for quite some time, because I thought that it made me look older. After my first shave, I found that I needed a shave first every couple of weeks, then about once a week. I don't remember how long I waited to get rid of the horrid 'stache, but I was glad when I did.

4 216
 08-06-2018, 02:33 PM
User Info
I remember my first wet shave as a kid and my first shave with a double edge about 40 years later.  My father used an electric razor exclusively.  When it was time for me to start shaving he gave me one, used.  Probably his.  I'll just say he was very frugal.  Anyway, I recall trying to shave with the electric and realizing that nothing was happening except my face got all red.  I really hated using that thing so I took it upon myself to go out and buy some cheap disposables and a can of foamin' goo.  I believe it was some Bic disposables and some Noxema cream in a can.  I'm not totally sure about the brand of cream but I think that was it.  I remember standing in front of the mirror, wetting my face, lathering up and putting blade to face.  It was a bloodbath.  Nicks all over the place.  Rinsing off.  And after having spent a couple weeks with that horrid electric, I felt like a man.  Yeah, with blood on my face.  But still a man.  Grunt.  That led to a life of carts as Gillette progressively came out with the Atra, Sensor, Sensor Excel and the Mach 3 (I may be missing one).  That was the one I settled upon and never felt the desire to try more than 3 blades.  

Then in April 2015 someone PIF'd me a double edge razor.  I already had a brush and some cream, pre shave oil and aftershave balm.  So I took the plunge.  It was a Razorock (EJ DE89 clone) head on an EJ DE89 chrome handle.  I remember loving the feel of a heavier razor in my hand.  I approached the shave very hesitantly as I was kind of concerned about cutting myself.  I had took some time online and did one pass WTG and one pass ATG (or what I thought was ATG - realized it wasn't after mapping).  And I remember feeling the results after rinsing off and was amazed at how good my face felt and how much closer the shave was versus the Mach 3.  That was all it took for me to be hooked.  And I'm so glad I took the plunge.  My face thanks me every day.

0 17
 08-06-2018, 02:36 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
I don't at all recall my first shve but I do recall when I found out that DE shaving was a heck of a lot more enjoyable and I've never gone back to cheap convenience store bought shavers. I'd rather grow out my beard than downsize to that harsh weaponry.

0 71