05-01-2018, 07:39 AM
User Info
I was PIFed a canister of this excellent vegan soap by @ianhoward, and it arrived in the mail yesterday.  Since there was a thread asking about vegan versus tallow based soaps, I thought I would give my review here.

[Image: Dr-Jons-Arctic-Hydra-Artisan-Shaving-Soa...68x768.jpg]

Base Type: Vegan

First off, the soap has a strong citrus scent, owing to the variety of oils used in the formula.  It also contains menthol, according to the list of ingredients on the lid, making for a soap that will give a nice cool sensation.

The lather was nice and slick.  I loaded my Vie-Long horse hair brush on the puck and proceeded to whip and pump in my porcelain bowl, achieving a nice, slick lather that had a good deal of lift and shininess.  This allowed for my Merkur 34c (with PolSilver Stainless blade loaded into it) to glide easily across my skin with no irritation following my shave.  The overall effect and its accompanying after-feel was similar to what I experience with my Tabac puck.

So, if you're curious about using a vegan shave soap and want to give it a try, I highly recommend this brand.

0 100
 07-12-2018, 06:19 AM
User Info
I just bought a tin of their last batch of Arctic Hydra (for a while, anyway).  It seems after this, they're not going to be selling it again.  I recommend buying it while you can before stock runs out.  Otherwise I think there'll just be the regular Hydra soap, which is probably just as good but without the cooling menthol.

0 100
 07-12-2018, 07:24 AM
User Info
Great scent, but I always thought the cushion was a tad lacking.

14 602
 07-12-2018, 07:30 AM
User Info
(07-12-2018, 07:24 AM)22bulldog Wrote: Great scent, but I always thought the cushion was a tad lacking.

That's fair.  But truth be told, I've yet to be able to get a voluminous lather with any of my soaps or creams.  Maybe it's my technique, or the water.  But I'm less concerned about the volume than I am about slickness, which to me is the more important attribute.

0 100
 07-12-2018, 07:54 AM
User Info
(07-12-2018, 07:30 AM)Michael_W Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 07:24 AM)22bulldog Wrote: Great scent, but I always thought the cushion was a tad lacking.

That's fair.  But truth be told, I've yet to be able to get a voluminous lather with any of my soaps or creams.  Maybe it's my technique, or the water.  But I'm less concerned about the volume than I am about slickness, which to me is the more important attribute.

I hear you.  Speaking of slickness, have you tried B&Ms new reserve base?  I have a heck of a time lathering it, but once dialed in you can rinse your face in and go for another pass.

14 602
 07-12-2018, 08:05 AM
User Info
(07-12-2018, 07:30 AM)Michael_W Wrote:

I've got two lather-less shave creams. My opinion, loads of lather looks cool....but has little to do with the shave.
"Slick" counts. Reality, the microscopic amount of "cushion" is the same no matter what volume of lather you put
on your face.

0 412