05-01-2018, 09:50 AM
User Info
This is probably a silly question to ask, but still being relatively new to wet-shaving I figured I might as well ask and risk looking ignorant than to be ignorant: How do I tell what skin and whisker type I have? That is, is my skin more or less sensitive? Are my whiskers coarser or finer, or somewhere in the middle?

I can only guess that I have moderate- to coarse whiskers, based on the number of shaves I generally get from each blade (usually five or six before having to toss it in my blade bank). But since blades are so variable, with some being really forgiving while others leave my face a bloody mess, I can't really determine how sensitive my skin truly is. I prefer to err on the side of caution and assume it's sensitive, since when my whiskers grow out for a few days they make my face feel itchy and somewhat irritated. But is there a way to tell for sure?

0 118
 05-01-2018, 02:38 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
It’s a great question. You only have yourself to compare to. ;-)

If you have an opportunity to have a Barber shave your beard....do it. And he will tell you. That’s the BEST way. If not, take your best guess. Your hunch is usually right.

174 1,604
 05-01-2018, 02:42 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(05-01-2018, 02:38 PM)Steelman Wrote: It’s a great question. You only have yourself to compare to. ;-)

If you have an opportunity to have a Barber shave your beard....do it. And he will tell you. That’s the BEST way.  If not, take your best guess. Your hunch is usually right.

That. My barber who gave me a couple of shaves was also one of my best friends.  We rented a house together.  He told me all his customers rated their beards coarser and thicker than what they actually  were. Get a shave from a barber and ask him to be honest with you.

8 2,531
 05-01-2018, 03:14 PM
User Info
I've always wondered that myself!  I don't send a lot of time feeling other men's faces thus I can only guess about my skin and beard type as it relates to what others have reported.  Perhaps we could assign one of our members here to travel and rub our whiskers?  (I call "not it".)

I really do have to go off what I read from others and come to the conclusion that my skin is about bomb proof except for the kryptonite of cinnamon.  My whisker density is avg.  my whisker thickness seems finer than some but resists cutting. And my general looks are similar to other really really really ridiculously good looking men.

6 349
 05-01-2018, 05:46 PM
User Info
I've been wondering that also. I haven't tried enough different blades yet to nail that down. My silly theory is that the blades will tell you somewhat what you need or what your skin can handle, given your technique is solid and consistent and you're using premium lather. There is a ton of info here about various blade characteristics like sharpness, smoothness, longevity etc. So if a known very sharp blade rakes your skin off but takes work to get the hair off you may have a tough beard and sensitive skin., for example. I myself have used poorly reviewed blades and got fairly good shaves with acceptable skin condition so I may have an easy to cut hair and an average face. The guys on here that talk about only using the ultra-sharp blades and super aggressive razors and have good results probably have tough skin and tough hair. See I told you it was silly.

1 65
 05-02-2018, 08:38 AM
User Info
I have had multiple barbers in India tell me my beard is really tough. Best way to tell.

0 406
 05-02-2018, 08:47 AM
User Info
I typically get six to seven shaves out of a blade unless it's a Feather or a Treet (I get 3-4 shaves from those brands).  I haven't tried Shark yet, but someone sent me a tuck so I'll have my chance to evaluate those.  But more often than not, the number of shaves is six or seven.

0 118