09-04-2012, 05:09 AM
User Info
I watch no television and don't listen to commercial radio. They wouldn't be factors anyway in what concerns me.

HELP! I belong to three shaving forums. These are the only sources of information regarding new stuff that I use.

Mixed emotions. It's nice to see manufacturers offering new straight and safety razors. For a good while it seemed they were going the way of automobile carburetors, and now we have Hart, iKon, Tradere, and others with brand new gear for us.

I don't have half the DE blade brands I want to add to my arsenal. Aaaugh!

The siren is sweetly singing; how can I resist? Really, I have enough blades (and seven razors) to last me for YEARS. At age fifty-seven I can't say how many years I have left but I'll be neatly groomed for quite some time to come.

Share with us if you're also tormented by so many toys, and only so much time and money? Or am I alone in this madness?

0 554
 09-04-2012, 05:58 AM
User Info
Money is a pretty big constraint for me at the moment... But I just keep telling myself that I have enough to last me a couple years at least... Right..? Right?!

2 362
 09-04-2012, 06:29 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Are we really ever satisfied? I can't answer that question. But pertaining to wet shaving gear we are all a little nuts.
But it is that good kind of nuts.
" Don't sweat the small stuff "

100 12,448
 09-04-2012, 06:34 AM
User Info
OK, I'm not 'zackly unique. Neither am I comforted by you guys! Rolleyes

Thanks for your input! Wink

0 554
 09-04-2012, 07:08 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
No Michael, you are not alone. I'm 66 and I finally got my razor fetish under control, I think. I may use a different razor from time to time, but they are all the same brand and I use just one brand of blade.

Brushes, do I have enough, certainly I do. But I want more.

Soaps/creams, forget it, I've lost my way. I need more, I want more, I will have more.

If one is a shave addict they have come to the wrong place. We are not the cure, we are the problem.

173 23,553
 09-04-2012, 07:15 AM
User Info
(09-04-2012, 07:08 AM)Johnny Wrote: No Michael, you are not alone. I'm 66 and I finally got my razor fetish under control, I think. I may use a different razor from time to time, but they are all the same brand and I use just one brand of blade.

Soaps/creams, forget it, I've lost my way. I need more, I want more, I will have more.

If one is a shave addict they have come to the wrong place. We are not the cure, we are the problem.

Actually laughing, Johnny and I thank you. Brushes I could keep from buying. Razors? Blades? Lathers? Scents? ¡Ay, caramba! Hambre "Please, sir, may I have some more?" :shot:

0 554
 09-04-2012, 10:44 AM
User Info
(09-04-2012, 07:08 AM)Johnny Wrote: No Michael, you are not alone. I'm 66 and I finally got my razor fetish under control, I think. I may use a different razor from time to time, but they are all the same brand and I use just one brand of blade.

* Could not have said it better! Good luck to you, Michael. Only seven razors? Wow, you have some will-power!

75 20,883
 09-04-2012, 10:52 AM
User Info
(09-04-2012, 10:44 AM)celestino Wrote: Could not have said it better! Good luck to you, Michael. Only seven razors? Wow, you have some will-power!

Well, that doggone Shave A Buck is importing these razors that are lately becoming a bit of a buzz. I almost pulled the trigger yesterday. Couldn't decide what I wanted. The all SS model is tempting. Blush

Anyway, I realized I still haven't gotten my order from Corrado Cutlery of Clubman stuff. So I will wait. I hope ... Rolleyes

0 554
 09-04-2012, 10:53 AM
User Info
Ever since I started doing "product research" my brush collection has ballooned to epic proportions.

Thankfully people are more than happy to take some of these items off my hands which makes trying new things a little more affordable.

I've stopped buying straight razors. Thank god. Expensive darned hobby....

9 2,988
 09-04-2012, 10:58 AM
User Info
Y'know, I recently passed my 6th year of freedom from tobacco. And that seems like a breeze compared with razor and blade addictions dancing the Funky Mogambo on my back.

0 554
 09-04-2012, 02:53 PM
User Info
Michael, you're joking right? Alone? Bwahhaha!

I'll be 60 this month and if I was a young man I wouldn't need to buy any more products for most of a lifetime. But I'm so enamored with my shaves that I find some acquisitions irresistable.

I need no more brushes, but I'd like 1 or 2 more, just to experience them. I have all the razors I want, but I buy more to rescue them for replating and another 100 years of life. I need no more soaps/creams for many years, but find curiousity irresistable (I just got room for a few more and I can tell Krissy). I would like a few hundred more blades that I like; Iridiums and maybe some PermaSharp Supers.

Alone? No, far from it. WE didn't coin the acronym "AD" (Acquisition Disorder), someone before us did. But rest assured AD preceded you (and me) by many years.

FWIW, 100 years ago shaving was a chore, not a pleasure, and AD would have been looked on as a mental abberation, but for us, after tolerating carts and electrics, IMO it's just a normal way to express shaving freedom.

32 6,311
 09-04-2012, 03:22 PM
User Info
(09-04-2012, 02:53 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Michael, you're joking right? Alone? Bwahhaha!

I'll be 60 this month and if I was a young man I wouldn't need to buy any more products for most of a lifetime. But I'm so enamored with my shaves that I find some acquisitions irresistible.

I need no more brushes, but I'd like 1 or 2 more, just to experience them. I have all the razors I want, but I buy more to rescue them for re-plating and another 100 years of life. I need no more soaps/creams for many years, but find curiosity irresistible (I just got room for a few more and I can tell Krissy). I would like a few hundred more blades that I like; Iridiums and maybe some PermaSharp Supers.

Alone? No, far from it. WE didn't coin the acronym "AD" (Acquisition Disorder), someone before us did. But rest assured AD preceded you (and me) by many years.

FWIW, 100 years ago shaving was a chore, not a pleasure, and AD would have been looked on as a mental aberation, but for us, after tolerating carts and electrics, IMO it's just a normal way to express shaving freedom.

You're quite right, down the line. Really what I'm doing is calling out in the dark. Confused

And I'm getting blinded by the response of my fellows! Cool Thanks, Brian! Smile

0 554
 09-04-2012, 03:53 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Ah Michael, Michael, Michael, who would dream of enabling you? See, you're completely safe here at The Shave Nook. Angel

2 11,211
 09-04-2012, 04:00 PM
User Info
(09-04-2012, 03:53 PM)freddy Wrote: Ah Michael, Michael, Michael, who would dream of enabling you? See, you're completely safe here at The Shave Nook. Angel

Drop it a few inches and it's a NOOSE! How'm I gonna quiet my Bulgarian cream jones? It's YOUR fault, mister!

Thanks!

0 554
 09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
  • freddy
User Info
But, but, but...I was only trying to help. Biggrin

2 11,211
 09-04-2012, 04:17 PM
User Info
I shoulda took that by-pass on the Hell Expressway.

0 554
 09-04-2012, 04:38 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
(09-04-2012, 03:53 PM)freddy Wrote: Ah Michael, Michael, Michael, who would dream of enabling you? See, you're completely safe here at The Shave Nook. Angel

Freddy is NOT an enabler.... Of all the things he's shown me I haven't found a single one that I couldn't live without!
he's just an encourager...

I was putting away a new shaving soap for the hubby last night and was thinking that I needed to organize his den a bit and add to his collection. Biggrin

7 405
 09-04-2012, 04:42 PM
User Info
(09-04-2012, 04:38 PM)krissy Wrote: Freddy is NOT an enabler.... Of all the things he's shown me I haven't found a single one that I couldn't live without!

I was putting away a new shaving soap for the hubby last night and was thinking that I needed to organize his den a bit and add to his collection. Biggrin

Another country heard from! And you, like butter wouldn't melt melt in your mouth! Bow

0 554
 09-04-2012, 08:54 PM
  • freddy
User Info
See, Michael, I AM innocent. (By the way, Krissy, how are those fountain pens and ink doing? Angel)

(09-04-2012, 04:38 PM)krissy Wrote:

Freddy is NOT an enabler.... Of all the things he's shown me I haven't found a single one that I couldn't live without!

2 11,211
 09-05-2012, 03:33 AM
User Info
(09-04-2012, 08:54 PM)freddy Wrote: See, Michael, I AM innocent. [size=xx-small](By the way, Krissy, how are those fountain pens and ink doing? Angel)

I have a friend in Queens who speaks fluent "fountain pen". I shall live to see you panting after those products!

Seriously thinking about what to buy next ...

0 554