05-03-2018, 06:23 PM
User Info
So I won the lottery but can seem to pick out the blade gap.
Any suggestions?
I like black bird and I did not like Timeless 0.95 gap.
I love the paradigm razor, did not like king cobra.

7 358
 05-03-2018, 07:38 PM
User Info
(05-03-2018, 06:23 PM)inspectoring Wrote: So I won the lottery but can seem to pick out the blade gap.
Any suggestions?
I like black bird and I did not like Timeless 0.95 gap.
I love the paradigm razor, did not like king cobra.

If you don’t like gap then go the .61. Right now I have a 61, 67 and 74. The most paradigm and blackbird like in feel is the 61. Give me another shave with the 74 and I’ll be able to help you more.

1 95
 05-04-2018, 06:24 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I have a Blackbird OC and a Wolfman .61 OC.  The Blackbird is more efficient, but the Wolfman is smoother.  I would say to get an increased gap Wolfman if you want blade feel and efficiency closer to a Blackbird.  I use a shim with my Wolfman sometimes and I like it better than the standard gap.  I'm not sure how much extra gap a shim adds though.  If I were to buy a Wolfman again, knowing what I know now, I would probably go with the .74.  The .61 is good for daily shaving, but it's not efficient enough if I skip a day.  My guess is that the .74 would be good for both.

3 638
 05-04-2018, 12:48 PM
User Info
So after another day with the 74 I have to say it was the correct gap for me. It’s extremely smooth and efficient. Not as efficient as my 17-4 or blackbird, but close and extremely comfortable.

This weekend I will do some shaves using a 67 and 61 at the same time as the 74. The 67 and 74 feel very close from what I remember. The 61 OC is a very nice, smooth shaver. If I was doing 3 pass shaves it would likely be my gap of choice but I prefer doing 2 pass and touch up with a more aggressive razor these days.

Good luck and congrats!!!

1 95
 05-05-2018, 08:55 AM
User Info
I have a Wolfman SB 0.61 and that works great for me. The only tough whiskers are on my chin and they don't grow that fast. 
The blade has a huge effect. Feathers work great. I shave every other day.

0 45
 05-10-2018, 09:00 AM
User Info
So fwiw I ended up trading my 74 for a 61. My reasons are as such - the increase in efficiency was not in line with the increase in blade feel. That is to say that the shave was not THAT much closer than the 67 or 61 imo. The jump in feel from 61-67 is negligible but the jump from 67-74 was more palpable to my face.

The last 3 shaves were done alternating strokes with the 74, 67 and 61. I will say that as time went on with the 74 it got smoother with practice. If I am need of a more efficient shaver I would probably reach for something other than the 74 if I’m being honest. For daily shaves, as I usually do, a 61 is probably fine, but I will likely pick up a 67 when the moment presents itself. Really you can’t go wrong as I have found that there’s always a market for wolfman. I was able to trade my plate for a 61 in pristine shape in hours. The 67 wasn’t as numerous in offers fwiw.

1 95
 05-10-2018, 09:22 PM
User Info
I've got a .61 OC in Stainless and in Ti. I also have a stainless .74. To be perfectly honest, I don't notice too much difference between the .74 and .61 in smoothness, with the .74 taking the edge in efficiency. Where I did notice a big difference was between the stainless OC and Ti SB. Apples and oranges for sure. Where else I noticed difference was with blade choice. As with any razor, different blades react differently for different people, but this razor responds REALLY well for me with Wizamet Iridium Super Extra Stainless. PolSilver (current stock) are a close second, but not the same IMHO. Before discovering the Wizamet magic, I used Kai (good for about 15 shaves if I push it), and Rapira Platinum Lux ( one shave only, after that was garbage for me). The Wizamet I've pulled 30 shaves, and could have pulled more but decided to switch blades out of boredom.
I've yet to try a .67, but everyone I've read response from seem to love it, including people who own multiple blade gap Wolfman razors. If the opportunity presents itself, I'd get a Ti .67, and I'm undecided between OC and SB for that gap.
Good luck! Let us know what you go with and your experience! Just remember to use a shallow angle, the geometry is very different from most razors (that I've used anyway).

8 415