05-07-2018, 08:31 PM
User Info
Today is VE day, so even if the story originated in the Great War and not the Second it's oddly suitable.

World War One, known at the time as the Great War or the War to end all Wars (yeah, right...) was the first war when clean shaved faces were required. The reason was twofold; personal hygiene in the trenches, and ensuring a proper gas tight seal on the respirators. Up until chemical warfare became an issue, facial hair was often encouraged and sometimes required since follicular fashion statement was all about virility and aggression,* which was seen as good military qualities.  British regulations from 1860 to 1916 stated that:

Quote:The hair of the head will be kept short. The chin and the under lip will be shaved, but not the upper lip…

So yeah.. shame on you if you couldn't grow a decent moustache I guess.
Anyhow, I digress... so such was the state of affairs up until the first couple of years into the Great War. On 22 April 1915 the Germans released a huge cloud of chlorine near Yrpes. Cue a rapid development of respirators - starting with simple pads tied in front of the mouth and ending with models that almost be mistaken for modern ones - and the end of facial hair. When the US got ready to get involved in the tussle, the US Army regulations stated that beards were not permitted, and the maximum allowable hair length was one inch. King Gillette got the job of making sure every member of the American Expeditionary Forces was clean shaven.. and the rest is history.

To summarise: This:
[Image: gas-cloud.jpg]
means you have to use these:

[Image: ww1_gas_mask_by_andreasilva60-d8we2op.jpg]
and that means you'll need something like this:
[Image: il_570xN.339496875.jpg]
which in turns leads to this:
[Image: roads_razor1.jpg]
which lead to a whole generation of young men learning to shave themselves and getting used to being clean shaven every day. And that is where we are today... beards come and go, but shaving is here to stay.

*) Same reason men in many non-western parts of the world is expected to have a full beard as soon as they are of age - they are quite literally seen as less manly without it.

3 5,533
 05-08-2018, 12:53 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Excellent thread, Hans. Thank you!

57 2,216
 05-08-2018, 04:40 AM
User Info
I wonder if the development of the safety razor and antibiotics in the late 19th Century helped move along this "no beards" rule.  Until the late 19th C., shaving with a straight razor in the field put soldiers in dire risk of infection.   Photos and drawings of U.S. soldiers in the Civil War and British Soldiers in the Crimean War show a lot more facial hair than do depictions of soldiers in the Boer War and WWI.

12 257
 05-08-2018, 10:57 AM
User Info
Having worn a protective mask (USA name for gas mask) I understand why one must be clean shaven to get a proper seal.
After wearing one for 3- 4 hrs. you know what facial rash really is.... Sad

0 506
 05-08-2018, 11:19 AM
User Info
(05-08-2018, 10:57 AM)zipper Wrote: Having worn a protective mask (USA name for gas mask) I understand why one must be clean shaven to get a proper seal.

This. So much this. Even more so when you have to wear that respirator on a hot summer day, sweating as it chaffs your neck and face, then having to step into a CS saturated bunker to verify there is no leaks...

...one of the days during training that really drove home that a cart didn't give me a flawless shave Tongue

3 5,533
 05-08-2018, 01:51 PM
User Info
(05-08-2018, 11:19 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote:
(05-08-2018, 10:57 AM)zipper Wrote: Having worn a protective mask (USA name for gas mask) I understand why one must be clean shaven to get a proper seal.

This. So much this. Even more so when you have to wear that respirator on a hot summer day, sweating as it chaffs your neck and face, then having to step into a CS saturated bunker to verify there is no leaks...

...one of the days during training that really drove home that a cart didn't give me a flawless shave Tongue

That's it ! If you haven't done it...you will N-E-V-E-R understand.. Winky

0 506
 05-08-2018, 07:33 PM
User Info
Excellent thread

6 294
 05-09-2018, 02:35 PM
User Info
Historical note. Adolf Hitler was gassed and almost died because his handlebar mustache was too big to allow a proper seal on his gas mask.
Afterwards he shaved it down to his famous "tooth brush" stash.  An unshaved/shaved face could change world history....Think about it.

0 506
 07-22-2018, 05:24 PM
User Info
...or end up with a high lead level in your blood. I'm an Ironworker, and we have to be clean shaven for respirator fit tests when on jobs with lead paint(bridges, etc.).

0 52
 07-27-2018, 02:50 PM
User Info
(07-22-2018, 05:24 PM)KWilliams40 Wrote: ...or end up with a high lead level in your blood. I'm an Ironworker, and we have to be clean shaven for respirator fit tests when on jobs with lead paint(bridges, etc.).

Yes, lead and painting in general in an industrial setting are a safety concern, but doesn't the Misses or SO like the BBS face after a classic DE/straight razor and some nice lather shave.

0 33
 07-27-2018, 03:18 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
Great thread. Thanks, guys.

10 530
 08-06-2018, 02:44 PM
User Info
(07-27-2018, 02:50 PM)MaxwellG Wrote:
(07-22-2018, 05:24 PM)KWilliams40 Wrote: ...or end up with a high lead level in your blood. I'm an Ironworker, and we have to be clean shaven for respirator fit tests when on jobs with lead paint(bridges, etc.).

Yes, lead and painting in general in an industrial setting are a safety concern, but doesn't the Misses or SO like the BBS face after a classic DE/straight razor and some nice lather shave.
I have a full beard now. Head shaves only for now.

0 52
 08-06-2018, 04:21 PM
  • Garb
  • Oregon
User Info
Loved this historical thread on the beards being wacked for safety reasons.

0 65
 08-06-2018, 10:41 PM
User Info
Nice post, thanks.

3 122
 08-07-2018, 01:54 AM
User Info
(05-08-2018, 04:40 AM)BrickHud Wrote: I wonder if the development of the safety razor and antibiotics in the late 19th Century helped move along this "no beards" rule.  Until the late 19th C., shaving with a straight razor in the field put soldiers in dire risk of infection.   Photos and drawings of U.S. soldiers in the Civil War and British Soldiers in the Crimean War show a lot more facial hair than do depictions of soldiers in the Boer War and WWI.

Alexander Fleming didn't discover penicillin until 1928. Mass production came during World War II.
Sulfa drugs came along in 1935.

9 1,029
 08-09-2018, 06:50 AM
  • naiyor
  • Ontario, Canada
User Info
Thanks for the great thread!

0 388