05-09-2018, 03:28 PM
User Info
I have a jar of duck fat and two bottles of oil, one almond and one castor, that I'd like to use in a shave-soap-making experiment.  Never having made soap of any kind, however, I'm running into a wall when it comes to finding suitable recipes.  Does anyone know of any or where I might find them?

0 118
 05-09-2018, 05:35 PM
  • Boonie21
  • Soapy Science Soaps
  • Atlanta, Ga
User Info
there is a really popular recipe that is on another forum that if you do a Google search you will find it.  Take that, use it as a decent baseline - get an online soap calculator (to calculate the lye water, fats, superfats, etc.) and then play around with the ratios and such....you will have a lot of fun and you will likely produce a decent and shaveable soap. Smile   Have fun and good luck!

105 1,701
 05-10-2018, 04:28 AM
User Info
formulate the recipe in soapcalc.net then run it in the calculator in soapguild.org with duel lye at about 40% NaOH and 60% KOH.  Keep in mind that NaOH purity is generally around 99% but KOH is usually at 90% so you will have to compensate for that.  

Castor oil at no more than 10%
I wouldn't use the almond oil.  Duck fat already has plenty of monounsaturated fats.  
Shoot for stearic acid around 50%.  
Think about cocoa/shea butters too. 

Here is a good tutorial with a solid recipe, though I have not made it.  Mine is different.  You probably could swap the duck fat and shea/avocado.  Either way, this is a good place to start.  

Keep us updated how it turns out

0 365
 05-10-2018, 04:35 PM
User Info
I forgot to mention that a good superfat to start out with is 5%.  Less and the soap can be drying, more and it won't lather due to the excess fat.

0 365