05-12-2018, 06:30 AM
User Info
So... I need help from the more knowledgeable people here.

Along with my Better Half we went down to the historic part of a neighbouring town, in part to visit their weekly flea market. I had the idea in the back of my head to look to see if I could find something tempting and shaving related.

Spotted some straights. Looked nice, but probably not shave ready and I'm not a straight shaver.

Spotted a pile of old blades in their sleeves... more for the collectors, and I'm first and foremost a user of shave gear.

And then my Better Half, bless her sharp eyes, spotted something on the next table over. A bit grubby, blade still in, case dinged. Seller wanted roughly 25 USD (21 EUR / 19 GBP). I offered half that. He pondered for a second, and then nodded. When I got home I started looking closer at the razor I had bought, after taking out and disposing of the Gillette Blue blade that was in it (it looked pretty bad).

And then I started digging... I'll show you photos first and then give my thoughts, and see what y'all think. And yes, that is a note from my Better Half in the first photo Smile

[Image: 82Xadzw.jpg][Image: NOJK2tX.jpg][Image: GyvXs3f.jpg][Image: POmN0ab.jpg][Image: tpLzl77.jpg][Image: 5WwqNr4.jpg][Image: Tfrkb7x.jpg][Image: pWPTxNf.jpg][Image: z0K7WUy.jpg][Image: ONz0vk9.jpg][Image: 5oNhQR2.jpg][Image: sNzCdnE.jpg][Image: Ng6L0SH.jpg][Image: 58vkoAn.jpg][Image: QoIp4Zh.jpg]

So... Gillette diamond logo and "Made in USA" under the base plate. No other markings or serial numbers I can find. The outer barrel is pretty worn, so any markings there may be worn off.
No markings on the inner barrel, nor does it seem to ever have been any.
12 teeth plus the corner teeth, making 14 in total on either side.
The knob on the bottom has two groves or rings.
Metal tin, with a cloth covered metal insert. The print in the lid says "Made in USA" and "Known the world over" around the Gillette diamond logo.

Based on what I can see, and what I can find in old threads here on the 'Nook, the photos at Mr Razor's site, and the lists I find online on Gillette serial numbers... I have to wonder what I have gotten my hands on.  Single ring from between 1921 and '28, with the slightly thicker top cap? What is y'all's opinion?

As an aside.. any ideas on how to clean it and get it shave ready?

3 5,701
 05-12-2018, 06:38 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Must be an Old Type Standard Set made in 1917.

Very nice find, Hans!

57 2,300
 05-12-2018, 06:49 AM
User Info
1917 should as far as I know have serial numbers...

But either way very happy with the find. My first flea market vintage razor Biggrin

3 5,701
 05-12-2018, 07:36 AM
User Info
Hey, congratulations!

The diamond logo means 1908 or after.  But if it was produced from 1908 to 1921, it would have a serial number.  Therefore, I think it's most likely one of the Old Types sold in the period 1921-1929. After the New Improved came out, and the original 1904 patent expired in November of 1921, these Old Types were sold without serial numbers and at a steep discount to discourage clones.  Most of these NDC Old Types were ball-handle.  But I'm sure there were some Single Rings sold during that period too.  This seems the most likely, though it's also possible that someone swapped out the original serial-numbered base plate for a later one due to damage to the original.

Either way, it's a great find.  Now get to cleaning!

19 303
 05-13-2018, 01:45 AM
User Info
I found a most helpful image over on Mr Razors site:
[Image: Timeline%20Old%20Type%20small.jpg]
Looking at my find side on, it indeed resembles the 21-28 single ring the most - I think we can call it a positive ID Smile

Thank you guys Smile

3 5,701
 05-13-2018, 07:02 AM
User Info
Nice find Hans.  We'll look forward to pictures after you clean it up.

53 8,133
 05-13-2018, 07:12 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(05-13-2018, 07:02 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: We'll look forward to pictures after you clean it up.

+1!

57 2,300