05-13-2018, 10:11 AM
User Info
I meant “sharing!”

(05-13-2018, 10:09 AM)Ols67 Wrote: That is fantastic Smooth Steve! Thanks for shaving it with us!

2 19
 05-13-2018, 10:26 AM
User Info
How about “COURAGEOUS,” because a true gentleman is going to do what is right, and stand up for what is right no matter what! That has to go on my list as well! Similar to “FORTITUDE,” which was pointed out earlier.

Vr

Matt

2 19
 05-13-2018, 09:15 PM
User Info
Blank

2 236
 05-14-2018, 03:12 AM
User Info
The U.S. Military, in co-operation with Congress issues a piece of paper which states that certain chosen people
are "Officers and Gentlemen, by an act of Congress" How they define this is never stated....It just is.
If you must list the attributes of a gentleman, in order to teach your children. You will fail. Such is not taught,
it is absorbed thru life. The smartest, greatest man I ever met read this when he was 10-11 years old.
It is an old Dutch proverb or something, it goes like this.....
Wealth lost, little lost.
Love lost, more is lost.
Health lost, much is lost.
Honor lost, all is lost.
A hundred people can read that, how many different interpretations will there be? 
To define a gentleman is impossible. It is known only to those or that one person who grants him that title.

0 263
 05-14-2018, 10:27 AM
User Info
Thanks Zipper! I really like that proverb. I agree that much of what we are taught is absorbed through life, but I see nothing wrong with writing a list of attributes for a gentleman...it can serve as an azimuth check and qualities to strive for/exhibit, so that those around us can absorb what it means to be a gentleman. A list certainly does not doom a person to failure! Fine points though, and thanks again for the proverb!

2 19
 05-15-2018, 03:29 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Modesty

The quality of being modest; freedom from vanity, boastfulness, etc.

61 4,961
 05-15-2018, 04:01 AM
User Info
Interesting thread. This may have to do with English not being my native language, but I was struck by how this is tied to being a gentleman, as opposed to a good person. Seems to me a distinction in what is observable in acts, from the outside, and what is in a person's heart and nature, thus not observable directly. A moot point, maybe, given the inobservability of inner capacities.

Semantics aside, although a man (or woman) with all the traits in your list would very likely be forgiving, I still think that word/trait merits being added.

2 70
 05-15-2018, 04:58 AM
User Info
As you say Halvor, semantics. The equivalent Norwegian term would be "hedersmann" in the meaning "aktverdig, moralsk uangripelig, og bra mann (eller kvinne)".

And yes, in Anglo-Saxon areas (read; the UK and US, as well as large part of the Commonwealth) the focus is on observable actions and behaviours instead of the internal reasons for those actions and behaviours. Don't ask me as to the why of that Tongue

3 5,258
 05-15-2018, 05:50 AM
User Info
(05-15-2018, 04:58 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: As you say Halvor, semantics. The equivalent Norwegian term would be "hedersmann" in the meaning "aktverdig, moralsk uangripelig, og bra mann (eller kvinne)".

And yes, in Anglo-Saxon areas (read; the UK and US, as well as large part of the Commonwealth) the focus is on observable actions and behaviours instead of the internal reasons for those actions and behaviours. Don't ask me as to the why of that Tongue

Signs011 I could tell you why....I think you can too. But people hate honesty. When it's not what they honestly want to hear... Rolleyes

0 263
 05-15-2018, 11:46 AM
User Info
Halvor — I think that “FORGIVING” should definitely be on the list of attributes. This is one that I have struggled with, but do put conscious effort towards. It does not seem to come naturally for me, as some of the other attributes. Thanks for your post!

2 19
 05-15-2018, 02:57 PM
User Info
(05-13-2018, 10:09 AM)Ols67 Wrote: That is fantastic Smooth Steve!  Thanks for shaving it with us!

Thanks.  It is the creed of the fraternity I joined when I was a younger man in my undergraduate endeavors.  As pledges we had to memorize it, and it has stayed with me all these years.  Good stuff.
Steve

0 793
 05-16-2018, 03:32 PM
User Info
Gents,

I believe that the attributes of GRACIOUS and WELCOMING should be added to the list.

I hope that everyone is having a good evening!

Vr

Matt

2 19
 05-18-2018, 07:04 PM
User Info
I teach middle school and like to keep things simple for adolescent era cognitive skills.  There were 3 rules in my classroom, a place where the gentlemen must remove their hats while the ladies are not required to do likewise, old school style.  In an effort to build gentlemen and ladies we have:

No Whining
No Drama
Be Courteous

It seems some in the new digital native generation have delayed development assuming responsibility for one's decisions, so we added a 4th last week. 
Man Up

In 14 years no Principal or even Superintendent has complained and every parent who has bothered to commented giggled an approval.  Well at least on the first 3, the fourth is in testing phase.

1 134
 05-19-2018, 07:56 AM
User Info
Thanks for sharing! My dad was a middle school teacher, retired now...this sounds very familiar! Enjoy the weekend!

Vr

Matt

2 19
 05-19-2018, 06:04 PM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(05-12-2018, 04:20 PM)Shaun Wrote: A gentleman is: someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't. Smile
That's a real gem of a phrase! I couldn't agree more haha

80 3,313
 05-20-2018, 04:48 PM
User Info
So I came across this website, and haven’t spent enough time with it to recommend it...however, it does seem interesting: http://www.capablemen.com . I am going to check it out more tomorrow! I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Vr

Matt

2 19
 Yesterday, 04:41 PM
User Info
Gents,

I was at work today and was placed in a situation where I told myself I need to be “PATIENT” and “UNASSUMING.” I added them to my list, and figured I would share.

Vr

Matt

2 19