05-16-2018, 08:09 PM
User Info
(05-15-2018, 01:51 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: Declaration B3 hair, with discretion. Some have reported softer tips than others, but in general is known to have a very nice scrubby characteristic. These are still available with [your provided] handle as far as I know. If buying second hand, ask seller about specifics.
I haven't used a D01 to give experienced opinion
After reading a bit about the Declaration brushes I am interested for sure.  Really like the Theodore handle in the color that they have on the site now . . . so nice!

Similarly, I am also interested in the Paladin brushes and that is where I read the term 'presence' in reference to brush feel.

0 14
 05-16-2018, 08:11 PM
User Info
(05-15-2018, 04:29 PM)RamonCaratejon Wrote: Get yourself a Semogue 1800, break it in, and when you're done you'll have a scrubby yet soft brush. Boars are the unfairly forgotten workhorses of the shaving world. Those who get the job done and do it well, asking for little in return. I favor them over badgers for a good number of reasons, but their gentle scrubby massage is the first one of them.
I will try one.  

While I enjoy a softer brush - I like the idea of some variety.  A scrubby massaging brush sounds nice.
thanks!

0 14
 05-16-2018, 08:16 PM
User Info
(05-14-2018, 05:16 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Shavemac d-01 2 band would be my choice. The normal loft will be scrubby enough, but you can customize to a lower loft to suit your desire.
Simpsons Manchurian have great backbone, yet are very nice in use
thanks Mike.  you hit two of my top choices on the first reply . . . nice.

gonna have to try these someday for sure.

0 14
 05-17-2018, 02:39 AM
User Info
(05-16-2018, 08:09 PM)NaimasDad Wrote:
(05-15-2018, 01:51 PM)vigilantesd Wrote: Declaration B3 hair, with discretion. Some have reported softer tips than others, but in general is known to have a very nice scrubby characteristic. These are still available with [your provided] handle as far as I know. If buying second hand, ask seller about specifics.
I haven't used a D01 to give experienced opinion
After reading a bit about the Declaration brushes I am interested for sure.  Really like the Theodore handle in the color that they have on the site now . . . so nice!

Similarly, I am also interested in the Paladin brushes and that is where I read the term 'presence' in reference to brush feel.
For the Paladins, I'd recommend to carefully read the "knot notes" to pick out some that match the characteristics you like.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

42 584
 05-18-2018, 10:24 AM
User Info
Vulfix 404 Grosvenor Badger and Boar mix. Scrubby, great handle, low cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 162
 05-26-2018, 02:09 PM
User Info
Simpson Best. Preferably a Duke 3 or a Classic 2 or the aforementioned Chubby, but I've had a Commodore X3 that was marvelously scrubby while still not having any scritch, and my experience with the Fifty series has been excellent, too. Heck, now I want a 58 like the last one I used (on loan from a friend). It had tons of tip presence and scrub, ample density for backbone, but great flowthrough. In my experience, outside of Simpson Best, the trade-off to get soft tips and scrub is to have a very dense knot, too dense to have good flow. The Best brushes use some really nice hair that is sturdy even without being superpacked (but very nice when superpacked as in Classics and Chubbys).

0 27
 05-26-2018, 10:27 PM
User Info
Simpson and shavemac offer good quality Pure grade badger brushes.  Pure is a lower grade of badger and will have a coarse face feel with a bit of prickle to go along.  Not everyone's cup of tea, but cheap enough to give one a whirl.

1 162