05-19-2018, 12:59 PM
User Info
Hello all,

It's been awhile since I've posted, and lo and behold, I'm doing it somewhere than the brush forum!  Shok

All kidding aside, I was hoping to get some input from individuals about what could possibly be a good upgrade to a Feather ASD2. Truth be told, I'm not sure if there is much that would be an upgrade, and I'm not too inclined to go down the RAD department. SBAD has been bad enough. Wink I can use the ASD2 realistically for any time that I've shaved, and I'm just hoping to get a touch more cutting efficiency out of a new razor, but I don't really have any complaints against the ASD2. It works great. I used a Muhle R89 Grande for a long time, and when I stepped up to the ASD2, it was a clear step up for me, and just been hoping I might find a step up again possibly in the right razor.

What I am looking for in an upgrade is:

A knurled handle of some type (Can't do smooth surface razors really. Mergress was my only exception)
A razor somewhere between a Feather ASD2 and an ATT R1 (The R1 is just too aggressive for more than one pass regardless of beard growth. I found the M1 too similar and not any better.)
Typically I like a razor size of 3.5". It just doesn't feel right typically to go any larger or smaller.
One that is closed comb. 

Thanks for the help and comments all!

30 854
 05-19-2018, 01:07 PM
User Info
Timeless .68 SB.

53 7,815
 05-19-2018, 01:18 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Tatara solid bar

48 19,568
 05-19-2018, 01:36 PM
User Info
Weber DLC

9 358
 05-19-2018, 01:52 PM
User Info
I'd look into Timeless razors. Go to their page and custom make your own razor. I recommend the Timeless .68 straight bar stainless steel razor with the smooth cap.

13 250
 05-19-2018, 04:28 PM
User Info
I think that having a coating applied by Delta Echo has improved the smoothness and overall shaving quality of my AS-D2 razor heads, especially when combined with the right length/weight handle from UFO or Triad.

215 12,722
 05-19-2018, 06:31 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Charcoal Goods - probbaly Level 2.  Reasonable selection in he 3.5" size and material options.  Good grip to the handles.

I have no experience with Timeless, however, many nice comments and variety.  The titanium razor is intriguing.

9 624
 05-19-2018, 07:35 PM
  • Beau
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Although it's not closed comb, the Above the Tie M2 razor head has been a very nice step up in efficiency for me from the Feather AS-D2, while still being mild. And so has the Timeless 0.68mm (open comb scalloped cap) razor head.

0 523
 05-19-2018, 08:11 PM
User Info
RazorRock Game Changer might just be what you are looking for. 
Good luck.

89 21,195
 05-19-2018, 08:38 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-19-2018, 12:59 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: . . . what could possibly be a good upgrade to a Feather ASD2. Truth be told, I'm not sure if there is much that would be an upgrade, and I'm not too inclined to go down the RAD department. SBAD has been bad enough. Wink I can use the ASD2 realistically for any time that I've shaved, and I'm just hoping to get a touch more cutting efficiency out of a new razor, but I don't really have any complaints against the ASD2. It works great. 

A razor somewhere between a Feather ASD2 and an ATT R1
One that is closed comb. 

Thanks for the help and comments all!

With the exception of the last (unnecessary?) criterion:

As yr obdnt srvnt has posted to this board several (too many?) times before, you do not need a different razor; all you need is a different baseplate.

The iKon Deluxe Open Comb baseplate is available (or sporadically unavailable) from the maker’s website for a cost significantly below the cost of a separate razor.  That baseplate is made of 304 stainless steel with a B1 plating; it is 100% interchangeable with the Feather AS-D2 baseplate.   As I have written in another venue (where there is a wider audience), when the iKon Deluxe OC baseplate is substituted for the native AS-D2 baseplate, the Feather razor is transformed from mild-mannered Clark Kent into Superman with a bit of an attitude.  

Mind you, the transformed AS-D2 will not give you a closer shave than the native AS-D2 will provide if you are attentive to your shaving; but, because the iKon Deluxe OC is more tolerant of a “wrong” angle of the handle, the chances that the edge of the blade will lift off of the skin due to an “incorrect” handle angle are lessened, and you will get as close a shave with less attentiveness, and therefore probably in less time; some people attach the label “efficiency” to that property.  Of course, you also increase the possibility of nicks or weepers occurring when you allow yourself some sloppiness in blade angle, but, even with the iKon Deluxe OC baseplate installed, the Feather AS-D2 remains a “safety” razor.

1 1,214
 05-19-2018, 09:24 PM
User Info
I mentioned closed comb, or also straight bar, as I've found overall I'm just not a fan of the open combs for the most part. I find they leave me with too much razor burn typically. One exception is a Gillette Tuckaway with an iKon travel handle, though. Works great in helping to reduce the stubble when I've neglected shaving for several days, but has the same problem as the ATT R1 has of being too aggressive and leaving with too much razor burn no matter how light I am on my touch or beard growth.

This might be a bit of a futile effort to find anything topping the ASD2 for me. It just ticks off so many boxes so well for me. Most anything I try now just feels mostly like a sidegrade to me, which isn't necessarily bad, but I've been curious as to whether I can find a step up further. I've found several equally good razors, but not that lightbulb moment. I greatly appreciate the suggestions that have been given, and have/am considering them.

30 854
 05-20-2018, 02:01 AM
User Info
Wolfman Standard gap or Timeless .68 SB.

2 189
 05-20-2018, 07:56 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
Have you looked into the Karve razor? There are several base plate options and I don’t think there is much blade feel based on the reviews, so that would be similar to the ASD. I don’t have a Karve; but from what I’ve read, I think you might like it.

3 631
 05-20-2018, 11:23 AM
User Info
(05-20-2018, 07:56 AM)DayMan Wrote: Have you looked into the Karve razor? There are several base plate options and I don’t think there is much blade feel based on the reviews, so that would be similar to the ASD. I don’t have a Karve; but from what I’ve read, I think you might like it.

It does look interesting, but I would pass. The Game Changer and the Timeless are looking like the closest matches to what I'm interested in. I failed to mention the cosmetics portion of what I like in the razor. I really liked the Timeless Scalloped head and base, but not so much the handles. Good thing is I can do a custom handle from someone else. The Game Changer hits a lot of buttons as well considering the price on it and the total package. I think that will be something I'll get as an aside the fact. Again, thank you for the recommendations all, I do appreciate it as I don't have anywhere near the experience with DE razors that others he have!

30 854
 05-20-2018, 03:46 PM
User Info
warning: ymmv
I am a Feather AS-D2 owner and user. but...
I love the Timeless 0.68 SB and bronze SB

52 1,201
 05-20-2018, 03:56 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Two words, Joe. Red Tip.

8 2,858
 05-20-2018, 06:08 PM
User Info
Pils is an option.

11 1,606
 05-20-2018, 08:01 PM
User Info
(05-20-2018, 03:56 PM)chazt Wrote: Two words, Joe. Red Tip.

That character and I didn't get along. He had too much of a penchant for giving love bites... Rolleyes

I've never really considered the PILS due to the no knurling on it and my former experience with a matted Merkur Futur. Felt like all the time I'd be dropping the Futur, and though I saw others say that the PILS didn't have grip problems, I remember I heard the same of a matted Futur. Lovely looking razor, but just didn't have a lot of interest in exploring it due to that.

30 854
 05-21-2018, 04:49 AM
User Info
No problem with grip for Pils, however imho and ymmv, Pils is less aggressive than Feather AS-D2.

52 1,201
 05-24-2018, 02:13 PM
User Info
(05-19-2018, 08:11 PM)celestino Wrote: RazorRock Game Changer might just be what you are looking for. 
Good luck.

This.

3 1,864