09-04-2012, 08:12 PM
User Info
Do you gentleman find that you can get an equally close shave with a TTO design vs a 3 piece design head? I will never part with my 55 SuperSpeed but I can get a closer shave with my Webers, EJ and Merkur. It must be the geometry of the head design ( or the geometry of my face . Lol)

0 156
 09-04-2012, 08:23 PM
User Info
My various TTOs (Parker 22R, Feather Popular, Gillette 58 TW Special) gives a different shave than my 3pieces (Merkur 25C, Merkur 985CL, Cadet TP-01, Yuma, Racer) - and they all give a different shave than my slant (Merkur 39C).

They all give good, close shaves though - and it's more variation within each group (TTO vs 3piece) than between the group.

3 3,580
 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM
User Info
You could try shimming your TTO razors with one shim.
i have been trying it with my Red Tip with good results.

75 20,883
 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM
User Info
I get the same closeness from a Super adjustable set on 5 as I do with the weber , but the weber does it with much less effort is seems.

4 8
 09-04-2012, 08:50 PM
User Info
The only difference for me is when I shave my upper lip. I find the TTOs ate a little more bulky in the head and thus shaving under the nose w/ them is a bit more tricky. I also love my Superspeeds!

5 938
 09-04-2012, 08:55 PM
User Info
It's head geometry. Nothing more.

I find I prefer the thin heads of the 2 and 3 piece razors, but some TTO razors do give superior results. I'm thinking the Gillette Slim and Fatboy.

It appears Gillette decided early on to just give a great shave to their razors and forego different feel or aggression, as compared to a straight razor. Then came the 40s, 50s, and 60s and the razors started to become milder. So vintage Gillettes get milder as the years progress (basically), as do SE razors. The oddballs being the adjustables which can be dialed in to whatever one wants (my personal favorites). But generally the trend is to a milder razor.

I have no idea about modern TTOs since I have none.

32 6,311
 09-05-2012, 12:11 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
All of my DE razors have been Gillette TTO's but I plan on trying a 3 piece razors eventually also, probably a tech or NEW, to see if its less akward shaving under the nose. I do love how easy the TTO's are to load and clean.

2 507
 09-05-2012, 04:04 AM
User Info
I love all my "children"; each for different reasons. Blade gaps, different weight, lather, all make each day a tiny "adventure" as far as I'm concerned.

The differences keep my face on its toes! Wink

(09-04-2012, 08:12 PM)Fourcooks Wrote: Do you gentleman find that you can get an equally close shave with a TTO design vs a 3 piece design head? I will never part with my 55 SuperSpeed but I can get a closer shave with my Webers, EJ and Merkur. It must be the geometry of the head design ( or the geometry of my face . Lol)

0 554
 09-05-2012, 05:27 AM
User Info
Although I grew up with a Slim and a Flare Tip I now find that I use the two or three piece razors more often than my TTO's.

I personally prefer the thinner heads of a two or three piece design, but it is hard to beat a TTO for ease of operation.

The angle of each razor is different. Once you find the sweet spot and pair the razor with good blade you should be able to achieve a DFS no matter what the tool.

5 833
 09-05-2012, 05:30 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Head geometry is it. Spent years with the TTO's, still use them but the Merkur & Weber heads, for me, give superior results.

42 1,041
 09-05-2012, 06:26 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
To me the 3 piece razors shave a tad closer then TTO models but I am not parting with my Sticky.

100 12,449
 09-05-2012, 07:23 AM
User Info
I like TTO's for lazy laid back shaves...

I use my '57 SuperSpeed once in a while,a bit mild as they all are but not as mild as they eventually became....Also like my black handle '68 SS it's a bit milder than the '57 but the '68 doors aren't arched as high,makes for a slim profile to get into tight spots better,it's a lightweight fun to drive razor.

My '68 was acquired dirt cheap and cleaned up unbelievably well.Throw some Hendrix on the stereo and shaving with a fun little '68 is good times.

All that said....my vintage 3 piece Double Edge and 2 piece Single Edge razors all shave circles around any TTO I've tried.

7 414
 09-06-2012, 12:10 PM
  • Johan
  • Barberian of the lathering
  • Sweden
User Info
My slim adj on 6 gives me a very close shave while still gentle. Its very close to my 3-pieces open combs then it comes to effectivness.

Come to think of it the head of the slim is quite slim and so is the heads of my 3-pieces. So geometry is one thing thats important. The other ones are blade gap, apperances and angle. And ofcourse the blade itself.

0 284