05-23-2018, 04:58 AM
User Info
First, I have a few brushes (14) and I've been wet shaving 50+ years. But I know many members of this forum have forgotten
more than I will ever know. I purchased a Fendrihan  HMW brush a few weeks ago. Now trying to "tag" what is and isn't
HMW is a discussion of it's own. What my question, more than advice is.....Over the past two days, this brush has undergone
a dramatic change! It was a great brush with good backbone, some scritch, just a great brush. I've only used it 8-9 times
I think. I noticed a little change yesterday, I think, so.....I thought I'd use it again today. WOW!! the tips are soooo much
softer, as soft as my Kent BK8 but with this good backbone. This term "gel-like" tips, I confess I don't truly understand.
Can this be what has happened? Is this common/ uncommon in HMW/Badger brush of any name? It has really changed.
Thought it might be the soap so I used a different brand, not the soap, it's the brush. Your insight will be appreciated.
[Image: CneJeZb.jpg]

0 752
 05-23-2018, 06:04 AM
User Info
I highly doubt your knot has transformed into 'gel-tips' from, what you say, its original scritch. 
Gel-tip knots are extremely soft from the first use. 
I would imagine that the tips of the knot have slowly 'broken in' and you have acclimated to the knots characteristics. 
Enjoy the shaves.  Shy

89 21,201
 05-23-2018, 08:38 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I agree. Not gel tips but the tips of the brush have split giving you a softer shave.

81 1,160
 05-23-2018, 08:56 AM
User Info
(05-23-2018, 08:38 AM)Barrylu Wrote: I agree. Not gel tips but the tips of the brush have split giving you a softer shave.

Never noticed such a drastic change with any of my other brushes. Is this a good or bad thing? 
Will this dramatically shorten the life of this brush? Have not lost a single hair in this brush.
Is this common with HMW brushes?

0 752
 05-23-2018, 10:05 AM
User Info
I have owned a couple Simpson Manchurian brushes and they got noticeably softer after breaking them in. Most higher end badger brushes don’t require much of a break in but my experience with Manchurian hair is it absolutely does. Not boar hair territory but probably 7-10 shaves. So it’s probably what’s happening with your brush as well.

3 27
 05-23-2018, 12:05 PM
User Info
I have a Romera that took about a month of fairly regular use before the tips hooked, then about 6 months in it softened again, like a second break in.
Every 2 band brush I own has realized some sort of softening with a bit of use.

8 415
 05-23-2018, 12:17 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(05-23-2018, 08:56 AM)zipper Wrote: [quote='Barrylu' pid='870068' dateline='1527093539']
I agree. Not gel tips but the tips of the brush have split giving you a softer shave.

Never noticed such a drastic change with any of my other brushes. Is this a good or bad thing? 
Will this dramatically shorten the life of this brush? Have not lost a single hair in this brush.
Is this common with HMW
It's a good thing. Enjoy your brush and the shaves from your new brush for many years to come

81 1,160