Poll: ~~~ best modern cartridge razor ~~~
 05-30-2018, 05:21 AM
User Info
The Gillette Trac II cartridges cost much less than the others. If you need a new handle they are still available. 

[Image: Z8exRhl.jpg]

5 1,932
 05-30-2018, 07:56 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(05-30-2018, 05:21 AM)shave/brush Wrote: The Gillette Trac II cartridges cost much less than the others. If you need a new handle they are still available. 

[Image: Z8exRhl.jpg]

Now that my process and technique are light years more advanced than when I last used carts, my Trac II shaves are quick, clean, easy and completely free of irritation. Now, when there's no time for a leisurely night-time DE shave, it's a breeze getting a quick DFS in the morning with the Trac II and a synth brush. This morning was shave 6 with the same cart, and I can probably get a few more in before changing to a fresh one. My problem with cart shaves is similar to what Tom mentioned above - they interfere with the "process" which is something I've developed a great appreciation for.

15 3,962
 05-31-2018, 03:56 PM
User Info
After all the positive discussion about the Feather MR3 neo, I ordered a handle and a couple of cartridge 5-packs from Bullgoose.  I think Phil has the pre-2018 version in stock, so undoubtedly I will discover that I need more cartridges when they no longer are available.  Murphy's Law in action.

Prior to this, I was living out of hotels for 8 months whilst trying to find a new home in a new area and have been using (and liking) Mach 3 Turbo and Sensitive carts. I don't see much difference between them (other than color) after the excessive goo from a Sensitive cart dissipates following the first couple of shaves.

The Fusion variants are OK, but I don't find they add much to the Mach 3 performance.  They do have a trimmer blade, which I find works well to slice a bit of skin off the sides of my nostrils.

For maybe a year, I was a happy Schick Quattro Titanium user, but after spending so much time with the Mach 3, it seems the shave with the Quattro just isn't as close or comfortable.

I've tried King of Shaves (much too mild for me), various Dorcos (ouch), Hydro 3 and 5 (way too much goo and short blade life), and Harry's (too harsh even with furious palm stropping).  In an emergency, I even tried a Bic disposable once, but stopped in short order after the blood started flowing.

The power versions of the Mach 3 and Fusion seemed like a good idea on paper, but I find they interfere with the audible feedback from the cutting blades and make it harder to get a good shave.

And yes, I do enjoy a DE or SE shave with one of my many nice razors, but even though I'm retired, the time involved in a decent non-cartridge shave is hard to squeeze into my busy day.  Maybe next week...

Terry

Disclosure: I'm a long time PG stockholder, but I'm sure my meager purchases of Gillette products have zero effect on my dividend.  

0 55
 12-23-2019, 01:25 PM
User Info
An unscientific answer but when I went from a 2 blade (Trac II & Atra) to the Mach 3 I felt no need to look elsewhere or try more blades or brands. I still like to use my Atra (love the pivoting head & prefer that over the Trac II) when shaving above the lip or sometimes for a 2cd pass. 

Maybe one of these days I'll pick up a disposable in a 5 blade or another brand just to compare.

I recently added DE shaving and am very happy with the results. Also have a Oneblade on order since the sale price is so good.

0 46
 01-10-2020, 08:53 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-31-2018, 03:56 PM)pantograph Wrote: After all the positive discussion about the Feather MR3 neo, I ordered a handle and a couple of cartridge 5-packs from Bullgoose.  I think Phil has the pre-2018 version in stock, so undoubtedly I will discover that I need more cartridges when they no longer are available.  Murphy's Law in action.

As one who used all of the Gillette cartridge razors through Mach3, then took advantage of an irresistable sale and jumped ship to a Schick Quattro, then a Schick Hydro5 (briefly), then Schick Hydro3, all of those models for at least nine months' trial, and most for two years or more, I think I have a pretty good feel for the major American brand cartridge razors.  The Feather MR3 neo is superior to any of those razors, both in closeness of shave and mechanical construction.  The MR3 neo will accept and use any and all Feather F-System cartridges, but what makes the MR3 neo cartridges very special is the steel perforated roller that occupies the physical postition of the solid safety bar of a non-open-comb DE razor.  That bar appears to set up the follicles that it rolls over immediately before the first of the three blades hits the whisker, so the blade cuts cleanly rather than tending to knock the whisker down or bend it over.  The roller bar is fitted only to the MR3 variant of the F-System cartridges.

(05-31-2018, 03:56 PM)pantograph Wrote: For maybe a year, I was a happy Schick Quattro Titanium user, but after spending so much time with the Mach 3, it seems the shave with the Quattro just isn't as close or comfortable.

When I was transitioning from Gillette to Schick cartridges, I observed that the corporate culture of Schick dictated that the blades be fixed at a different angle, relative to the razor handle and to the surface of the skin, than the angle of the blades within a Gillette cartridge, made to the dictates of a different culture.  With the correct (i.e., optimal) angle of the blades to the skin, possible to be adjusted within a narrow range by the way one holds the handle, there is not much difference between the Gillettes and the Schicks.  (Of course, a pivoting head, in a cartridge that has multiple blades all in contact with the skin, will work against the manual adjustment efforts of the man holding the razor handle, to force a degree of adherence to the maker's corporate culture.)

(05-31-2018, 03:56 PM)pantograph Wrote: And yes, I do enjoy a DE or SE shave with one of my many nice razors, but even though I'm retired, the time involved in a decent non-cartridge shave is hard to squeeze into my busy day.

It is difficult to achieve the speed of shave of a cartridge razor when using a single blade DE razor.  I think, also, that it is difficult ot achieve the closeness of shave of a Feather MR3 neo razor with any DE razor that I have essayed (and I have tried a few).  Still, there is an enjoyment of involvement with a DE razor that "soulless" cartridge razors cannot incite.  If the purpose is to put food on the table, there are few means to accomplish that end that are less efficient than fly-fishing in a mountain stream.  But there are a lot of enthusiastic fly fisherman, and I think that they are not crazy.  Efficiency can be over-rated.

1 1,411