05-24-2018, 01:10 AM
User Info
Hi everyone

What do we think about this rise of plastic pump bottled soap, rather than proper bars of soap? There is a big rise towards being environmentally friendly yet people still insist on buying these rubbish pump bottles now, a real shame in my eyes. Doesn't last as long, more expensive, worse for the environment (the bottles have to be re-cycled, heavier to transport etc).

How many of you guys prefer proper bars of soap? I do, and I have bars of carbolic next to the bathroom sink and the kitchen sink, but my Mrs insists on her pump soaps no matter how much I object haha! Just wondered what you guys like. I might be on my own here, but I was thinking that because we are into grooming and shaving that we might look for the products best for our skin.

Seems like commercially produced bars of soap will become history if it carries on the way it is going. Many have stopped producing them. Those that have carried on have changed the ingredients too, tallow isn't used so it turns to mush easily and doesn't last very long (not a hard soap), no glycerin so its not proper soap - but a 'cleansing bar'. I'm referring to Imperial Leather soap in the UK with those comments, it used to be made in the UK, but now Cussons don't bother with it, they just produce plastic bottles of handwash. The bars of soap they now produce aren't anything like the old stuff, it's made in Thailand with palm oil and a smaller bar size too. Another issue with these cleansing bars and pump washes is that they have Sodium Laureth Sulphate in, which the old soap bars didn't have. This is more drying to skin....

I'm 31 but I feel like an old man wanting to stay in the past lol

Thoughts?

0 15
 05-24-2018, 06:06 AM
User Info
I prefer handmade bars of soap. The natural glycerin content is good for skin, the stuff is soap rather than synthetic detergent, and the tactile experience of a bar of soap in your hands matters to me.

Yardley on American store shelves is great for the price and a dramatic improvement over detergent bars or liquid "soaps," but I prefer handmade bars that I make or from small-scale artisan producers. I keep homemade liquid soap - true soap, not detergent - in the kitchen because it's easier when my hands have been handling raw chicken to pump the soap with an elbow than to try to pick up a bar of soap without also contaminating the dish and the area around the dish.

0 27
 05-24-2018, 01:53 PM
User Info
I much prefer bars to bottles. Disregarding the waste of the bottle, bars are less expensive and last longer. And I have a miserable time regulating the amount delivered by the pump. Plus there is a much broader selection of scents.

Dave

1 117
 05-24-2018, 02:10 PM
User Info
For showering, I primarily use artisan bar soaps.

53 7,804
 05-25-2018, 03:18 AM
User Info
I'm the only one in our family who uses a bar soap, wife and kids prefer bottles.  As OP mentioned, I've also noticed seeing less bar soaps in the aisle, less choices.

19 499
 05-26-2018, 06:00 AM
User Info
Ime a soap bar tends to be more drying than liquid soap, and foams are prefered. Not all of them are good. 
I use a dedicated foam bottle and buy sulphate free liquid soap by the gallon. 
Soap bar in the shower for sure. Liquid for travel.

9 1,392
 05-26-2018, 01:07 PM
User Info
Some liquid soaps are better than others, but 99% of them give me an allergic reaction - little blisters all over my hands.

0 1,142
 05-26-2018, 03:08 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-24-2018, 01:10 AM)Goatywoaty Wrote: What do we think about this rise of plastic pump bottled soap, rather than proper bars of soap?
How many of you guys prefer proper bars of soap?
Thoughts?

My bride and I are with you all the way.  However, we do have to have a pump in the shower and one in the downstairs powder room for our son and his wife, who regard bars of soap the way they regard CRT computer monitors or telephones that have lines attached.  Their two sons probably never have seen soap in bar form except in our home.

For ourselves, we regard any sink (other than the sink in which we wash pots in the kitchen) that lacks a bar of Mystic Water Goat Milk “facial” soap alongside it to be naked and unpresentable to the civilized public.  

(begin off-topic ramble containing further off-topic tangents) Recently, we discovered a nice shower soap bar that bears a familiar brand:  the brand is well-known by many readers of this board as an affordable but excellent shave stick, but LaToja is also a brand of excellent bar soaps.  The LaToja Magno bar comes out of the wrapper pitch black, but after a few uses settles down to a very very dark green, similar to the famous Brunswick Green (10 gallons of black and a quart of green) used on the legendary Pennsylvania Railroad GG1 locomotives.  (How many other vehicles in history have been so associated with a color as to make the color famous?)  However, the LaToja Magno bar lathers up to a very white and creamy lather that rinses off completely when you want it to do so.

If you have some time to fill, look up LaToja on the Web; it is actually a nominally uninhabited (still) island at the extreme northwestern corner of Spain (north of Portugal):  it became famous after a Spanish farmer tried to abandon an old and sick donkey to die there, only to come back some time later to find that the donkey had discovered a fountain of youth in the volcanic mud that oozes from fissures on the island.  The volcanic salts of LaToja Island are what make the Magno soap black.  (end off-topic ramble)

1 1,212
 05-26-2018, 04:52 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
I prefer bottles (liquid soap) - hand and body wash. 
- less soap scum to clean up
- easier for a variety of soaps (I have 2 types of hand soap in the bathroom)
- looks neater and more organized
- my process is apply soap then scrub & rinse with water, (not wet hands first)

I am also happy with certain brands -  scent & performance.

9 621
 05-26-2018, 05:53 PM
User Info
i use straight castile soap for my face and the shower. however, i have switched my kitchen to a glycerin foaming soap with no chemicals.

0 308
 05-27-2018, 01:06 AM
User Info
We have a pump in the kitchen with a neutral soap (0% colourants, 0% perfume, 0% parabens), for when the hands are to dirty or too greasy to deal with a bar or a non-pump bottle. In the bathrooms we use Dr Bronner in liquid form, but without a pump. Bars are for the shower or tub.

3 5,531
 05-27-2018, 09:10 AM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
Aesop has "Reverence Aromatique Hand Wash" bottle with finely milled Pumice.  I use during the "cold and flu season" (exfoliates the germs away ?) and extra dirty hands.  My "other bottle" in the bathroom.  Aesop also has matching scent hand balms.

9 621
 05-28-2018, 05:03 AM
User Info
Bar soaps for me unless I travel. Stirling has great soaps and I use often but currently use Yardley due to ease of obtaining and price. They are also surprisingly good soaps and very affordable.

153 3,711
 05-28-2018, 06:07 AM
User Info
Bar soap for shower duty, pumps for the kitchen and bathroom sinks. We have refillable pump bottles that take 2/1 water to soap and make foam, so they last a bit longer than a single use bottle. These are much friendlier to guests than a bar soap.

45 1,246
 07-03-2018, 10:04 AM
User Info
(05-26-2018, 03:08 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(05-24-2018, 01:10 AM)Goatywoaty Wrote: What do we think about this rise of plastic pump bottled soap, rather than proper bars of soap?
How many of you guys prefer proper bars of soap?
Thoughts?

My bride and I are with you all the way.  However, we do have to have a pump in the shower and one in the downstairs powder room for our son and his wife, who regard bars of soap the way they regard CRT computer monitors or telephones that have lines attached.  Their two sons probably never have seen soap in bar form except in our home.

For ourselves, we regard any sink (other than the sink in which we wash pots in the kitchen) that lacks a bar of Mystic Water Goat Milk “facial” soap alongside it to be naked and unpresentable to the civilized public.  

(begin off-topic ramble containing further off-topic tangents) Recently, we discovered a nice shower soap bar that bears a familiar brand:  the brand is well-known by many readers of this board as an affordable but excellent shave stick, but LaToja is also a brand of excellent bar soaps.  The LaToja Magno bar comes out of the wrapper pitch black, but after a few uses settles down to a very very dark green, similar to the famous Brunswick Green (10 gallons of black and a quart of green) used on the legendary Pennsylvania Railroad GG1 locomotives.  (How many other vehicles in history have been so associated with a color as to make the color famous?)  However, the LaToja Magno bar lathers up to a very white and creamy lather that rinses off completely when you want it to do so.

If you have some time to fill, look up LaToja on the Web; it is actually a nominally uninhabited (still) island at the extreme northwestern corner of Spain (north of Portugal):  it became famous after a Spanish farmer tried to abandon an old and sick donkey to die there, only to come back some time later to find that the donkey had discovered a fountain of youth in the volcanic mud that oozes from fissures on the island.  The volcanic salts of LaToja Island are what make the Magno soap black.  (end off-topic ramble)

I'll continue the semi-off topic ramble with a big thumbs up for La Toja bar soap.  I have a stash in inventory that I rotate in and love the stuff. 

SWMBO and I have his n hers niches in the shower. I am anti-pump/anti plastic and have my shampoo bar and body bar perched on wood racks that I scrub every so often to keep the soap build up off.

Either she has more hair so she needs more stuff or I am just naturally handsome and get by with a bare minimum.  Or I have a bare minimum of hair so any more potions won't really help anyway.

[Image: 8FD5FU0.jpg]

Brent

10 69