05-24-2018, 08:07 PM
User Info
Rest in peace to the fallen; what Memorial Day is all about. John Wayne explains Taps.

Have a great Memorial Day holiday, but please remember what it's all about.

32 6,524
 05-25-2018, 03:40 AM
User Info
You are so right Brian.  Everyone needs to be reminded.

53 8,292
 05-25-2018, 07:30 AM
User Info
Thank you Brian. My great-great uncle died at Vicksburg. My deepest gratitude to him and to all of our fallen soldiers.

50 4,730
 05-25-2018, 12:42 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
My daughter came home from school the other day almost in tears.  When I asked her what was the problem, she said she was frustrated and sad.  But mostly frustrated.

She is 17.  A junior in high school...soon to be a senior and then off to college.  Earlier this week, her history teacher asked the students to write down what Memorial Day means to them.  My daughter wrote about how she was grateful for our military for fighting...so that she didn't have to and so that her dad didn't have to.  How grateful she was to other children who lost their mothers and fathers so we can enjoy our freedom.

Her frustration was that - most of her friends wrote about how they are disappointed in America.  That the military is obviously a bunch of paid savages ruled by a war-hungry dictator President. 

I asked why her history teacher didn't point out their obvious misinformation.  And try to educate them on what our veterans have done for our county.

She replied "Dad, the only thing my history teacher taught us about Winston Churchill was that he was rude.  If you hadn't taught me what he did...I'd never know.  They don't teach us that stuff"

Granted, the 17 year olds of this country have had to endure a lot of sad news lately and I don't blame them for being frightened and scared.  Memorial Day is celebrated by old farts like me and I am guessing most of the people on this board because we know better. I keep my feelings personal on Memorial Day for personal reasons...but I will now do my best to educate a child/teen on the meaning of Memorial Day.  This Memorial Day and every other Memorial Day I'm alive.

Our veterans deserve that.

God Bless and enjoy the weekend.

174 1,600
 05-25-2018, 01:35 PM
User Info
(05-25-2018, 12:42 PM)Steelman Wrote: My daughter came home from school the other day almost in tears.  When I asked her what was the problem, she said she was frustrated and sad.  But mostly frustrated.

She is 17.  A junior in high school...soon to be a senior and then off to college.  Earlier this week, her history teacher asked the students to write down what Memorial Day means to them.  My daughter wrote about how she was grateful for our military for fighting...so that she didn't have to and so that her dad didn't have to.  How grateful she was to other children  who lost their mothers and fathers so we can enjoy our freedom.

Her frustration was that - most of her friends wrote about how they are disappointed in America.  That the military is obviously a bunch of paid savages ruled by a war-hungry dictator President. 

I asked why her history teacher didn't point out their obvious misinformation.  And try to educate them on what our veterans have done for our county.

She replied "Dad, the only thing my history teacher taught us about Winston Churchill was that he was rude.  If you hadn't taught me what he did...I'd never know.  They don't teach us that stuff"

Granted, the 17 year olds of this country have had to endure a lot of sad news lately and I don't blame them for being frightened and scared.  Memorial Day is celebrated by old farts like me and I am guessing most of the people on this board because we know better. I keep my feelings personal on Memorial Day for personal reasons...but I will now do my best to educate a child/teen on the meaning of Memorial Day.  This Memorial Day and every other Memorial Day I'm alive.

Our veterans deserve that.

God Bless and enjoy the weekend.

Amen, Ron

1 65
 05-25-2018, 04:57 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
Thank you Brian, and thank you Ron. I agree, our military personnel deserve all the thanks and accolades we can bestow - and more. Regardless of an individual’s personal politics, everybody should always remember that there are still courageous people who serve so that we can live free. Partisanship be damned. Our military service people protect us all.

10 3,157
 05-26-2018, 02:49 AM
User Info
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
Shakespeare
Best said by others....best understood by Brothers

0 860
 05-26-2018, 01:08 PM
User Info
Yes indeed  zipper. That's a good quote. St. Crispians day, I'd forgotten that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Crispin%27s_Day_Speech

Ron the indoctrinator your daughter has as a "teacher" should be living in the era of Stalin in the USSR and hopefully end up in a gulag. She is a complete moron. You tell your daughter that she is correct and the teacher is a fool. But to pass the course she needs to spew crap on the tests to pass the course. I would argue with my history teachers, but that was how the class was set up by design, to get us to think. But today it's just indoctrination. 

I would not do well in todays classrooms I think. I know right from wrong and have a strong moral compass. Exactly what isn't required to easily pass with good grades in certain classes today. Why do we tolerate this feces in the classroom today? Rhetorical question. (it requires no answer, just thought.)

32 6,524
 05-26-2018, 02:19 PM
User Info
(05-26-2018, 01:08 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Yes indeed  zipper. That's a good quote. St. Crispins day, I'd forgotten that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Crispin%27s_Day_Speech

Ron the indoctrinator your daughter has as a "teacher" should be living in the era of Stalin in the USSR and hopefully end up in a gulag. She is a complete moron. You tell your daughter that she is correct and the teacher is a useful idiot. But to pass the course she needs to spew crap on the tests to pass the course. I would argue with my history teachers, but that was how the class was set up by design, to get us to think. But today it's just indoctrination. 

I would not do well in todays classrooms I think. I know right from wrong and have a strong moral compass. Exactly what isn't required to easily pass with good grades in certain classes today. Why do we tolerate this feces in the classroom today? Rhetorical question. (it requires no answer, just thought.)

Anyway, I raise a glass to my brothers on this day and I will on Memorial Day as well. It will be painful to remember, but I'll do it.

32 6,524
 05-27-2018, 10:09 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
104 of my high school friends name's are on the Viet Nam Memorial.  I spend the better part of each Memorial Day reading their names, looking at their pictures in my "old" high school year book, and praying for their families.  What a different country or world we would live in if not for the sacrifice of millions.

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
May the rain fall softly on your fields,
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

[Image: bcPAJSf.jpg]

181 25,130
 05-28-2018, 07:23 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
104. That’s unfathomable.

10 3,157
 05-28-2018, 08:28 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Johnny my friend....we would not be America were it not for men like you and your friends.  Thank you.

sometimes, seeing a name and a face can really add perspective.

174 1,600
 05-28-2018, 06:04 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(05-28-2018, 07:23 AM)chazt Wrote: 104. That’s unfathomable.

I agree.  That represented three graduating classes, 63, 64, and 65.

181 25,130
 05-29-2018, 12:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(05-28-2018, 06:04 PM)Johnny Wrote:
(05-28-2018, 07:23 AM)chazt Wrote: 104. That’s unfathomable.

I agree.  That represented three graduating classes, 63, 64, and 65.

Johnny, your community was decimated. Belated condolences seems insignificant, but I offer them nonetheless. I sit here trying to imagine, what if 104 faces from my high school yearbook - Real People! - lost their lives in service to our nation? Maybe I knew those people - maybe not. It doesn’t matter. They were important to their loved ones. I ask, What would their lives have been like? What would they have done with themselves? Sadly, we’ll never know.

10 3,157