05-25-2018, 06:06 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
For some time now I've been pointing out how just because certain products, in this case Valobra, tallow AoS and C&S shave soaps are/were made by same company doesn't mean one can assume they're exactly the same or perhaps not equally as good though I think they are pretty close. I've been thinking about how Valobra who makes them all and C&S are almost exactly the same right down to the look of the puck and that faint clay-like underlying scent while AoS is a little more....different. Turns out the ingredient list for the three of them is a little, very little different with AoS varying the most. While all three are among the best if not the best current soaps of what I use I always thought the AoS is microscopically a nano-notch below the other two. I'm sure this also applies to the different creams that are all made by Creightons, again some visibly noticeable.
There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear............for what it's worth.
To be filed under old man ramblings.

8 2,531
 05-25-2018, 06:44 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
(05-25-2018, 06:06 AM)Mouser Wrote: To be filed under old man ramblings.

Biggrin

65 5,248
 05-25-2018, 08:13 AM
User Info
(05-25-2018, 06:06 AM)Mouser Wrote: For some time now I've been pointing out how just because certain products, in this case Valobra, tallow AoS and C&S shave soaps are/were made by same company doesn't mean one can assume they're exactly the same or perhaps not equally as good though I think they are pretty close. I've been thinking about how Valobra who makes them all and C&S are almost exactly the same right down to the look of the puck and that faint clay-like underlying scent while AoS is a little more....different. Turns out the ingredient list for the three of them is a little, very little different with AoS varying the most. While all three are among the best if not the best current soaps of what I use I always thought the AoS is microscopically a nano-notch below the other two. I'm sure this also applies to the different creams that are all made by Creightons, again some visibly noticeable.
There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear............for what it's worth.

The AOS/Valobra ingredient list differences are, as far as I can tell, only in scent-related ingredients that have to be listed to comply with IFRA regulations. The actual soap is not different. That said, some fragrance and essential oils can affect a soap's lather a bit. I've not noticed any differences in performance among tallow AOS, Valobra, and C&S, and its probably the soap I've used most other than my own in the decade I've been wetshaving. That said, it's possible there are minute differences people experience because of how a particular EO or fragrance ingredient affects things for them.

Creighton's is another story. There are definitely clear differences in consistency of the product and in ingredient lists among the Creighton-made products, with Trumper generally lathering up the densest/fluffiest and T&H being at the other end of the spectrum, allowing for a closer cut.

0 27
 05-25-2018, 08:45 AM
User Info
I agree there are differences. My guess is it might be related to the quality of the raw ingredients. e.g. oils, tallow and clay. The prices for those vary significantly with different quality grades.

9 1,466
 05-27-2018, 06:33 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(05-25-2018, 08:13 AM)TRBECK Wrote:
(05-25-2018, 06:06 AM)Mouser Wrote: For some time now I've been pointing out how just because certain products, in this case Valobra, tallow AoS and C&S shave soaps are/were made by same company doesn't mean one can assume they're exactly the same or perhaps not equally as good though I think they are pretty close. I've been thinking about how Valobra who makes them all and C&S are almost exactly the same right down to the look of the puck and that faint clay-like underlying scent while AoS is a little more....different. Turns out the ingredient list for the three of them is a little, very little different with AoS varying the most. While all three are among the best if not the best current soaps of what I use I always thought the AoS is microscopically a nano-notch below the other two. I'm sure this also applies to the different creams that are all made by Creightons, again some visibly noticeable.

The AOS/Valobra ingredient list differences are, as far as I can tell, only in scent-related ingredients that have to be listed to comply with IFRA regulations. The actual soap is not different. That said, some fragrance and essential oils can affect a soap's lather a bit. I've not noticed any differences in performance among tallow AOS, Valobra, and C&S, and its probably the soap I've used most other than my own in the decade I've been wetshaving. That said, it's possible there are minute differences people experience because of how a particular EO or fragrance ingredient affects things for them.

Creighton's is another story. There are definitely clear differences in consistency of the product and in ingredient lists among the Creighton-made products, with Trumper generally lathering up the densest/fluffiest and T&H being at the other end of the spectrum, allowing for a closer cut.
I think there's some other differences between AoS and Valobra and differences in order and what lists don't tell us are ratios or percentages. The differences are subtle but to me Valobra and C&S are closer than Valobra and AoS. When I can use the bigger keys and screen of my laptop instead of my phone I'll try to be more specific.

8 2,531