05-29-2018, 02:34 PM
User Info
Do you have sensitive skin? Any reader of our forum would think that just about all of us do. I know I do. Statistically, some 40 per cent of people worldwide consider themselves to have sensitive skin. Some surveys show much higher numbers.

Maybe you wash your face too much.

I read a story last week in The Globe and Mail by Dr. Sandy Skotnicki, a dermatologist, that says that could be the case.

Her story says that in the old days, like even older than some of us, a weekly bath was the height of cleanliness. That began to change around the 1880s, when Harley Procter of Procter & Gamble invented the strategy of marketing a particular soap brand—Ivory— in weekly magazines. Sales climbed steadily, and by 1919 the company manufactured 1.7 million tons a year. In-home stand-up showers spread through middle-class homes between the world wars, increasing from 61 per cent in 1940 to 87 per cent in 1960.

Our washing frequency has increased. Those in the industrialized world now shower an average of once a day. Some urban professionals who visit Dr. Skotnicki’s practice average a lot more than that.

Water and soap can harm our skin, according to the dermatologist. Daily rinsing with hot water and soap can strip away lipids and can weaken the skin’s ability to function as a barrier. The damage leads to dry skin, which increases exposure to chemicals, pollutants and germs, and heightens the potential for reactions to irritants and allergens.

We need to understand the difference between hygiene and cleanliness. Hygiene protects us from infectious diseases. Cleanliness is the absence of dirt, the feeling of freshness, the desire for social acceptability.

Sensitive skin is skin that is ultrareactive, intolerant, possibly itchy or otherwise painful, and sometimes, but not always, accompanied by a rash, says Dr. Skotnicki.

Her advice to many of her patients complaining of skin problems: Less is more. Don’t wash so much.

The article mentions that she has book out, called “Beyond Soap.” My local library has it, but there’s a waiting list. I’ve ordered it. Sounds interesting.

I am not a dermatologist, and have simply summarized the newspaper article. I’ve left out quite a bit of information to keep it fairly brief. The article is entitled “A clean break: Why our society’s obsession cleanliness has become too much of a good thing.”

1 485
 05-29-2018, 02:41 PM
User Info
Very interesting, it's just annoying that having a good wash with soap makes us feel nice! Smelling nice is also a real treat...

Just a shame that this rids our skin of it's natural oils Sad

0 15
 05-29-2018, 04:01 PM
User Info
the soap makes the difference in my epxerience.  A harsh detergent soap really flairs up my skin and neck.  I get the same reactions from harsher palm/coconut based soaps as well.  That's why I use 100% olive oil castile soap and don't have any problems anymore.

0 310
 05-30-2018, 09:11 AM
User Info
I've gone about a month without soap, just Mother Dirt spray twice a day and cool water. I've gone two years without shampoo (I shave my head daily). Skin and scalp are in great shape.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

1 339
 05-30-2018, 11:48 AM
User Info
Good interesting info.! Thanks for sharing.

Happy Shaving!
49erShaver

0 128
 05-30-2018, 01:21 PM
User Info
I read once that Queen Victoria once bragged that she bathed twice a year, even if she didn't need it..... Rolleyes
I was told many years ago that over cleanliness was a problem with my skin and scalp issues......But I'm
addicted!!! I MUST shave, shower, shampoo daily....... Sad

0 517
 05-31-2018, 05:40 AM
User Info
twice a year...  that's impressive...

0 310
 05-31-2018, 07:06 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
I used to wash my face twice a day, but I dropped down to once a day and my skin has been doing better.

3 631
 06-26-2018, 03:29 PM
User Info
(05-30-2018, 09:11 AM)jmudrick Wrote: I've gone about a month without soap, just Mother Dirt spray twice a day and cool water. I've gone two years without shampoo (I shave my head daily). Skin and scalp are in great shape.

I had never heard of Mother Dirt spray, but it's mentioned in the book in some detail.  I don't think it's available here in Canada.

1 485
 06-26-2018, 06:27 PM
User Info
Sold online they ship worldwide. I'm going on two months now, quite happy with it.
(06-26-2018, 03:29 PM)David Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 09:11 AM)jmudrick Wrote: I've gone about a month without soap, just Mother Dirt spray twice a day and cool water. I've gone two years without shampoo (I shave my head daily). Skin and scalp are in great shape.

I had never heard of Mother Dirt spray, but it's mentioned in the book in some detail.  I don't think it's available here in Canada.

1 339
 06-28-2018, 01:36 PM
User Info
Queen Elizabeth(I) had to reassure her subjects that it was not dangerous to bathe more than once a year.

0 334