05-30-2018, 07:39 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

Sheffield, England, produced a treasure of legendary razors, including Wade & Butcher, Frederick Reynolds and Frederick Finney. Also, Manhattan Cutlery. The razor offered here is a Manhattan Cutlery dating from around 1892. It's a 6/8 smiling hollow blade with a barber's notch. The razor has been well restored, and the bug bites in the original honey horn scales have been filled with Superglue. The pins are tight and the blade closes center.

I have made it a little prettier, re-honed the blade with one layer of tape on the Naniwa 4, 8 and 12K, finished it on the Suehiro Kokumyo 20K, and finally stropped it on the Mastro Livi loom strop. Then shave tested, of course — sweet mama of a shaver. The razor has a good balance and fits in the hands nicely. It is also shave ready. I don't particularly care for the Sheffield wedge razors, as I find them too heavy. This one, as I noted, is a hollow blade. If you've never had a taste of the great Sheffield razors, here is your chance.

The price of $50 includes U.S. shipping. Paypal is fine. No trades, please. Thanks.

[Image: o7ZSQHg.jpg][Image: DTocdIa.jpg][Image: 0GErfGt.jpg]

178 3,705
 05-30-2018, 10:37 AM
  • jjfar
  • First in Flight
  • North Carolina
User Info
Nice steel.

GLWTS

84 728
 05-30-2018, 11:00 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(05-30-2018, 10:37 AM)jjfar Wrote: Nice steel.

GLWTS

Thanks. Yes, these are great razors. I had a Manhattan Cutlery 7/8 hollow some years ago and for some reason gave it up. It was a great razor. These are little known razors compared, say, to Wade & Butcher and company, but they are just as fine razors. Good stuff.

178 3,705
 05-30-2018, 12:19 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
Nice razor Obie. By hollow can you please expand on the grind. Thank you

91 1,725
 05-30-2018, 12:38 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(05-30-2018, 12:19 PM)Gabe Wrote: Nice razor Obie. By hollow can you please expand on the grind. Thank you
Gabe,
The grind is hollow as in what you find in later razors: the vintage German, French and American razors. Initially, many of these Sheffield razors were ground in wedge, semi-wedge, quarter wedge, and so on. Heavy razors with thick blades. As time went on, razor makers in Germany, France and other countries began grinding their blades thinner. They were answering current demands by shavers. That's how many razors of today are made — hollow ground blades. This particular blade's grind is similar to them.

178 3,705
 05-30-2018, 02:48 PM
  • Gabe
  • Arizona
User Info
(05-30-2018, 12:38 PM)Obie Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 12:19 PM)Gabe Wrote: Nice razor Obie. By hollow can you please expand on the grind. Thank you
Gabe,
The grind is hollow as in what you find in later razors: the vintage German, French and American razors. Initially, many of these Sheffield razors were ground in wedge, semi-wedge, quarter wedge, and so on. Heavy razors with thick blades. As time went on, razor makers in Germany, France and other countries began grinding their blades thinner. They were answering current demands by shavers. That's how many razors of today are made — hollow ground blades. This particular blade's grind is similar to them.

Thank you.

91 1,725