09-05-2012, 08:41 AM
User Info
Some things you need to know right up front... I got the cream for free to try and evaluate it. I'm also in a business collboration with Krissy. She will make soaps with my scents and I'll make the scents to back up her soaps, neither business being part of the other, yet tied together. Despite that though, I can make an accurate review and keep my objectivity. If I can't folks would figure it out in a heartbeat.

I used my water for the test(s) and my water is extremely soft.

I should also say right up front, that I like this soap, despite problems I had with it early on. The problems were of my making and not the soaps. I'm not much of a tub cream user, and typically because of my water I back off the amount of soap used. I automatically did that with this soap, and it's not something you want to do.

During the first shave, frankly, I was disappointed in the lather, and the longevity was the pits too. It had all the signs of not enough soap. The next day I increased the amount of cream used, and it was better. The 3rd day, I used maybe 3/4 of a shelled almond and I had it nailed. DO NOT hold back on quantity when using this soap. What I did was to just take some from the tub and rub it on each cheek for the brush to pick up. I used boar brushes and badger brushes and the soap works very nicely with either. It lathers ridiculously easily.

Krissy calls it her DdC soap. I suspect she means soap base. Don't think of it as a MdC clone because it isn't that. What it is is a cream that wants to produce an ultralather. Don't fight it, just let it do it's thing. Use plenty of product and make the yogurt like lather. It's dense, extremely cushioning, silky, and stable. It's among the very best soaps IMO. Performance wise it begs comparison to MdC, and Klar and I intend to do just that beginning tomorrow. I have some Klar Kabinett that has been aging and it's time to use it from the puck form and not just a shred of soap as I've been doing for the past few weeks. (good timing Brian! )

Scent can be anything one wishes it to be. I wanted a MdC sort of scent and that still needs some tweaking for my nose, but the Rosemary came through loud and clear.

Starting tomorrow I'll begin the comparison testing. But I suspect MdC and Klar will have domestic competition to their soaps at a fraction of the price and with the scent of your choosing. I also need to use it w/o following with my bay rum so that I only have the soap for skin feel.

To recap, don't hold back on quantity used and hydrate it enough for stability and enjoy. The soap is what it wants to be and it wants to be an ultralather; thick, cushiony, and dense. As with MdC, if you can't get great lather from this soap, something is seriously wrong with what you're doing.

If I was inaccurate on explaining the nature of the soap base and the scents I welcome Krissy to come in and correct me.

Edited for spelling and clarity. BTW, Krissy and I never collaborated on this review or her response. I wouldn't do that, and I doubt she would either. I never asked, since it wasn't a possibility for me. Nor did I so much as tell her it was posted.

32 6,311
 09-05-2012, 08:52 AM
User Info
Subscribed and waiting anxiously to hear more about this. Cost has been the determining factor in my decision to not have MdC in my Nook already. Any idea if there will be a soap form of this, or will it remain as a cream only?

31 7,914
 09-05-2012, 09:37 AM
User Info
And it can be had in ANY scent, not just rosemary/lavender.

I mentioned I'm not much of a tub cream person... When I got it the first question I had for Krissy was, "If I allow it to sit will it get firmer as it cures?". She answered that it would get something like a soft Italian soap. To speed the process I could leave it open. So far I haven't. I wanted to test it as received.

She also told me that she could make it firmer in the manufacturing of it, but didn't specify precisely what the final result would be.

I actually don't mind it as it is though. It would be more difficult IMO to judge the amount used if it was loaded from the tub. I suppose one could use a spoon to dip some out and wipe it on the cheek if one didn't want to use a finger.

32 6,311
 09-05-2012, 12:42 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Thanks Brian for the review on your thoughts of this stuff.

It's my take on the MdC going by the ingredient list but then giving it my own creative twist.

The real MdC ingredients :
Stearic Acid, Water, Coconut Acid, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Perfume

My version of the ingredients :
Stearic Acid, Aloe Vera Juice, Potassium Hydroxide, Glycerin, Castor Oil, Palm Kernel Oil, Fragrance, Jojoba, Tocopherols and Raw Silk Fibers.

Because in soap coconut oil is actually drying to the skin and not moisturizing to the skin like it is in it's raw state I divided the amount that I would have used into two parts. Instead of coconut oil I split that up into castor oil which also gives lather but is moisturizing and palm kernel oil which is another lathering oil that is similar to coconut oil. I added the jojoba in for extra moisturizing properties as well as the tocopherols which is Vitamin E used in this case as an antioxidant. The raw silk fibers are dissolved into the lye solution and helps give a silk feel to the lather. I also choose to use aloe vera juice rather than water as well.

When this soap is freshly made it's quite soft. But if allowed to be exposed to the air it does firm up quite a bit. One has to remember that the MdC I believe is made and aged for awhile before it's sold so it has that period of time to harden and firm up as the excess liquids are evaporated out. Since I am making this custom to the scent you want and making it here in the USA for less than what MdC is sold for then you will have to do some of that aging process yourself or have a softer soap. The reason why I wanted to create something that has the same lather is so it can be affordable to those that MdC is out of their price range or in a scent that is liked and preferred.

I did create a short video with my cell phone on a whim so it's not very thought out..... But it shows a chunk of the soap that has been allowed to dry out. It's firm but not soft by any means. It does create a nice and dense lather.

7 405
 09-05-2012, 01:02 PM
User Info
Nice! What different scents are being contemplated? Or is that all too soon to say yet? The comparison to MdC is interesting to me in that air drying the sample I have of MdC (because I didn't have anything to seal it in) as led to a lot of scent loss. This is rather sad, because I really liked to initial scent, myself (understand others prefer to let it air dry to lose the scent). Would hope that DdC doesn't lose a good scent by air drying for soap firmness.

3 543
 09-05-2012, 01:12 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I'm not sure how long MdC is air dried before it's sold but I believe it's quite some time! I'm thinking it's months as in over 4-6 range, correct me if I'm wrong. I thought I remembered that from their website some time ago.

Some scents do lose their scent after time while others do not. It's hard to know which ones will and won't. I have bath soaps that were made well over a year ago, some 2 and 3 years ago and some have lost their scent in that time while others still smell like they were made yesterday.

A week +/- is all that would be needed to air dry it out enough to firm it up quite a bit. Mine (the sample in the video) was made Aug 27th, so that's only 9 days ago so you can see how much it has firmed up in that time. So that's not long enough for it to lose it's scent.

Granted it may lose it's scent some a year or more down the line but that that is something that may happen with any artisan made product. It's hit or miss with some scents and how long they will last. As I said I have bath soaps which are exposed to the air every day and are a year old and the scent is faint while I have others that are three years old and the scent is strong.

As far as the scents that it will be offered in... it will be any of the scents that I currently offer for my other products.

7 405
 09-05-2012, 01:16 PM
User Info
Krissy, I shall visit your site now and see what scents you offer! Thanks!!

3 543
 09-05-2012, 01:18 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
A list of the scents are on the right side in the information box.
Listed Under
Essential Oils
Masculine Scents
Floral Scents
and Other Scents

7 405
 09-05-2012, 01:41 PM
User Info
IIRC, I believe that MdC is aged for 5 months.

31 7,914
 09-05-2012, 03:23 PM
User Info
Gents, IMO it would be a mistake to not use this as is. It requires a quantity of it for the lather I described and I'd hate to see you dry it out and then not be able to achieve the results I described. Of course water could also be added back to it.

It's really easy to use as is.

32 6,311
 09-05-2012, 03:41 PM
User Info
(09-05-2012, 03:23 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Gents, IMO it would be a mistake to not use this as is. It requires a quantity of it for the lather I described and I'd hate to see you dry it out and then not be able to achieve the results I described. Of course water could also be added back to it.

It's really easy to use as is.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the accomplishments so far and seems quite interesting and promising that a faux MdC has been created.

But isn't one of the arguments for buying MdC is how long it lasts? And it seems from the initial test that a lot of the DdC product has to be used.

0 241
 09-05-2012, 03:53 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
I myself don't use that much, I just swirl the brush on the soap which isn't much different than lathering up any other soap.

I did send some to Mikeperry, not because he asked for it but he mentioned he was interested in lilac scented soap after he placed his order. I was thinning out the scents that I offered and that was one that got the ax. It has been replaced now but I did send him some of my DdC in the lilac because it gave me a good excuse to work with it after it had been made. Maybe he can pipe in with his opinion.

I will also be sending some to Johnny who is another MdC fan.

7 405
 09-05-2012, 07:48 PM
User Info
Thanks for the review, Brian.
Thanks for the update, Krissy.

75 20,883
 09-06-2012, 04:50 AM
User Info
I'm sure it's a great product. I get so confused when someone tends to use the terms soap and cream interchangeably.Biggrin

Krissy, it's great to see you back in action. One of the best PC products I've owned was the KISS soap (not to be confused with the cream). My son wanted it, so now you know where it ended up.

24 1,151
 09-06-2012, 06:17 AM
User Info
Gents, while DdC is being compared to MdC it's not a clone. It has it's own idiosyncracies. The only reason I ever even mentioned MdC is because well, the comparison would have been made at one time since it's so good, and the base ingredients are quite similar. But I think in the search for honesty that where the similarities end. It is it's own soap. I tried to lather it the same as I would MdeC and I couldn't. But that's not a bad thing, it's just what I found.

Sorry Gary. But cream is just a different form of soap. I don't think I used the words puck or bar though.

But on with comparisons... (this will be very brief)
OK, so today I used Klar Kabinett. I did a review of this soap in the past, so I'll skip all of that. I loaded my brush for maybe 20 seconds to build up a nice "paste", then lathered as usual, an ultralather. DdC is creamier, denser, and silkier IMO. Both are very good soaps, top performers.

Tomorrow, Klar Siefen.

32 6,311
 09-06-2012, 06:57 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
(09-06-2012, 04:50 AM)brothers Wrote: Krissy, it's great to see you back in action. One of the best PC products I've owned was the KISS soap (not to be confused with the cream). My son wanted it, so now you know where it ended up.

Gary this soap is a variation of what was called KISS (keeping it simple). I sold a few jars of it but never really launched it and sold a lot of it. There is just a slight variation of it in the amount of glycerin used as well as the addition of a bit of Vit E (tocopherols) as well as a bit of jojoba added in.

7 405
 09-07-2012, 04:03 AM
User Info
(09-06-2012, 06:57 PM)krissy Wrote:
(09-06-2012, 04:50 AM)brothers Wrote: Krissy, it's great to see you back in action. One of the best PC products I've owned was the KISS soap (not to be confused with the cream). My son wanted it, so now you know where it ended up.

Gary this soap is a variation of what was called KISS (keeping it simple). I sold a few jars of it but never really launched it and sold a lot of it. There is just a slight variation of it in the amount of glycerin used as well as the addition of a bit of Vit E (tocopherols) as well as a bit of jojoba added in.

Krissy, that's very interesting! I'll have to figure out an order for both of your new soaps, the KISS and the Williams clone.

24 1,151
 09-07-2012, 04:48 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you Brian for the great review and information.

100 12,449
 09-07-2012, 06:33 AM
User Info
Comparing DdC to Klar Seifen Sport, the way I was lathering the DdC it's (DdC) a better soap. I almost wrote significantly better, but to err on the side of caution, I'll just say that the DdC is better. It has more cushion, it's silkier, just better. I overloaded the brush with the Klar Seifen too just to make sure there was plenty of product.

Tomorrow I'll use DdC again just to refresh my memory of it, then I'll finish up with MdC on Sunday.

32 6,311
 09-07-2012, 07:10 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Brian-

This has been (and continues to be) a great thread. Thanks!

47 1,378