05-31-2018, 10:10 PM
User Info
When I started the journey my preference was creams, because I liked how easy it was to get lather from it and you didn’t have to rub the puck but could just dip the brush to get product enough for a shave.

Now 7 years later I vastly prefer soaps.

Creams have a tendency to dry a bit faster on my skin and I experience the snow flake effect. Not always, but the tendency is there. I seem to be able to get more water loaded into soaps, so the lather will stay more stable for a longer time. I also try to load more water into my creams, but only a few of them will accept the water and hold it in the lather. Almost all my soaps will hold more water than most of my creams, which gives me a more stable and moist lather.

I used to feel it was the other way around. Soaps would dry out faster on me. But that was because I didn’t load enough water into the soap. And used too little of it. With creams I always used more product than necessary.

I also have to stress, that I tend to get a more slick lather from my soaps, while creams give me more cushion. So I'm not trying to bach creams, I respect creams and still own quite a bit of them - pretty much all the best creams is still in my possession: ADP old, ADP new, 3 x Castle Forbes, ABC, 5 x St. James, 5 x Esbjerg, 2 x Xpec, Floris 89 and a few .......or 20 more....

It’s funny how things, taste and preferences change over time, isn’t it

How about you ?
What do you prefer ?
For how long have you been wet shaving ?

25 6,352
 06-01-2018, 02:47 AM
User Info
Cream/Soap...I swing both ways.... Sbathroom_grooming_shaving_100-100 Been wet shaving 53 years. I don't "prefer" one over the other.

0 755
 06-01-2018, 03:19 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-31-2018, 10:10 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Now 7 years later I vastly prefer soaps.

How about you ?
What do you prefer ?
For how long have you been wet shaving ?

Last first: about 50 years.

Soap . . . but creams definitely have their uses.

For daily use, I generally prefer lathering with bloom water (or “kumquat”, q.v., with the assistance of this site’s search feature), which generally favors harder soaps.  Allowing water to stand on a puck of a soft soap, practiced daily on the same puck, over time will make the puck goopy.  The goopiness come on fairly quickly with, e.g., Razorock (TFS) soaps.  Mystic Water and Wholly Kaw donkey milk soaps, which are on the soft side (nowhere as soft as Razorock), are so exceptionally good that I have devised strategies to dry those pucks between shaves.  Harder soaps like Haslinger Schafmilch and Mike’s seem to resist goopiness without such measures.

If time is an issue, though — if I really need to hurry my shave — nothing beats a cream, especially a brushless cream.  Using Aubrey Organics North Woods shave cream, I can get into and out of the bathroom in about five minutes; I cannot do that when I use a brush to lather up.  And, even when I lather up some AoS Ocean Kelp (apparently no longer in production) shaving cream, I can polish off a shave in under ten minutes, faster than I can when I lather from a soap puck.

1 1,260
 06-01-2018, 04:47 AM
User Info
I like creams for the convenience.  They are just faster.  Most of what I use is soaps though.  Soaps are the better value as creams have more water and less soap per container.

0 328
 06-01-2018, 04:53 AM
User Info
I use soaps almost exclusively at home, but have to admit its a pleasant treat to break out the tube of Palmolive I have in my dopp kit when I'm traveling.

15 613
 06-01-2018, 05:53 AM
User Info
(06-01-2018, 04:53 AM)22bulldog Wrote: I use soaps almost exclusively at home, but have to admit its a pleasant treat to break out the tube of Palmolive I have in my dopp kit when I'm traveling.
When I was very young, we were on vacation and I went to brush my teeth....I used Palmolive instead of toothpaste..... Sad
Don't try it......awful taste... Confused

0 755
 06-01-2018, 06:18 AM
User Info
I generally prefer soaps and have only a few creams left.  My impression, which may just be my imagination, is that soaps provide somewhat better glide, while creams give better cushion.

220 12,850
 06-01-2018, 07:26 AM
User Info
As a relative newbie, I actually started out with soaps and had mostly good experiences with working up a nice, protective lather for my shaves.  In researching different types of soaps/creams, I have started to sample some creams - especially where the soaps are not known to be very easy to lather properly (ie, GFT, T&H, etc).  I don't think I will ever use very many creams unless I just want a scent profile that I cannot get in a soap.  I really cannot say yet if creams overall perform better as I have only tried a couple of them.

In terms of travel, I will keep a tube of cream handy so I do not have to pack a wet soap puck/stick on the day of departure.

Steve

1 97
 06-01-2018, 07:33 AM
User Info
Soaps, by an extremely large margin as there is such a vast selection to choose from. I have been using them for the past seven years as I gave up on creams within the first month of starting this journey.  Shy

89 21,201
 06-01-2018, 07:37 AM
User Info
(06-01-2018, 06:18 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: I generally prefer soaps and have only a few creams left.  My impression, which may just be my imagination, is that soaps provide somewhat better glide, while creams give better cushion.

I favor this.  And I like loading soap.

6 323
 06-01-2018, 08:25 AM
User Info
Creams are much harder to formulate in my opinion.  Most commercial ones I have seen are pretty much stearic acid and coconut oil.  I think this provides great cousin, but the fatty acids of tallow and other butters make for better glide.

0 328
 06-01-2018, 11:41 AM
User Info
Once you figure out shaving soaps there is little appeal left with shaving cream.  I find soaps to be superior in every meaningful aspect.

75 2,408
 06-01-2018, 11:45 AM
  • bijou
  • Chicago Illinois
User Info
I only use soaps (I have purchased creams but after a few lathers I've put the tub away, though I really like the scent of TOB Rose). I started with Williams (tallow) using a broken tea cup and never looked back. Today one of the hard soaps I enjoy is Saponificio Varesino, though it is a vegan I find the beta 4.3 an excellent hard soap in all aspects. The primary soaps I use are tallow which many croaps today are, but I'm ambivalent about them because I always have to adjust how I load with each brand because of the degree of softness each brand presents (on croaps I gravitate to Paladin, Ballenclaugh and B&M they tend to be harder).

54 656
 06-01-2018, 01:25 PM
User Info
I have way more soaps than creams but I still enjoy lots of creams that have no soap alternative, like ToBS/GFT creams and Castle Forbes Lime (one of my favourites). Plus, I can usually get my lather going just a tiny bit quicker with a cream because for the most part the loading is straight forward. I will admit I usually get slightly better glide and slickness out of my top soaps.

Therefore, still love using both for me but most of my recent purchases were soaps because of the big variety out there and because the creams I do enjoy I'm not running out of any time soon.

3 31
 06-01-2018, 01:44 PM
User Info
Only creams I've used were the Edwin Jagger Menthol, Lea Classic and Alvarez Gómez, and I have to say I had glorious shaves out of the three, the best one being, IMHO, the Alvarez Gómez. Curiously enough, that cream requires a fairly high amount of water in order for its lather to develop properly. I wonder if you had tried that one, Claus. I also prefer soaps over creams, but in my case I just find them slicker and more protective, regardless of the amount of water they can hold.

I've wet shaved for 30 years, but only during the last two years and a half I did it properly, with a brush and good lather, not canned goo Wink .

0 198
 06-01-2018, 02:00 PM
  • Nero
  • No Waxation Without Representation
  • Lanolin-Free or Die
User Info
I wholeheartedly agree with you, Claus!

Soaps are for sure more fun to load, and most importantly: I get much better performance from soaps, ESPECIALLY on the ATG pass.

I think the only creams I have left are Floris No. 89, Crabtree & Evelyn Sweet Almond Oil, and a few AoS jars (Rose Absolute being the best).

82 3,434
 06-01-2018, 02:38 PM
User Info
(06-01-2018, 01:44 PM)RamonCaratejon Wrote: Only creams I've used were the Edwin Jagger Menthol, Lea Classic and Alvarez Gómez, and I have to say I had glorious shaves out of the three, the best one being, IMHO, the Alvarez Gómez. Curiously enough, that cream requires a fairly high amount of water in order for its lather to develop properly. I wonder if you had tried that one, Claus. I also prefer soaps over creams, but in my case I just find them slicker and more protective, regardless of the amount of water they can hold.

I've wet shaved for 30 years, but only during the last two years and a half I did it properly, with a brush and good lather, not canned goo Wink .

Indeed I still own the Alvarez Gomez shaving cream and it's a great shaving cream with a very nice scent too.

In fact I bought two of it, one was soft, the other more firm, and I actually prefer the slightly firmer version, because I can load it almost like a soap/croap.

I have also owned all 3 Castle Forbes creams in both a softer version and a firmer version, and I now have the 3 firmer versions left of my Castle Forbes trio, again probably because I can load it more like a soap.

I just feel, that the best creams for me also are the creams that can take a lot of water loaded into the lather, because it creates a more stable voluminous lather.

Back in the old days, 6-7 years ago, I could create a great lather with all my creams, but it would occasionally start to crack a bit, if I for instance had to put on a new music track or had to spend a minute or two with the lather on, before I could start the shave.

Soaps can crack too, but I just feel creams on average are slightly less stable on my skin, even if I load it with extra water.
On average my soaps can take more water than my creams in my experience.

25 6,352
 06-01-2018, 02:49 PM
User Info
I use both , I load both heavy and put a lot of water in my lather. I find I can get great slick lather from Tobs cream , CRSW glide and everything in between. My favorite creams that perform extremely well compared to my best soaps would be xpec, ADP , and ABC. I used to prefer soaps for the slickness but once I found out how to make my lather a lot slicker than I had been and also my technique improved so that my hand was very light , everything kind of evened out for me in terms of preference.

80 1,689
 06-01-2018, 03:13 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
I very much prefer soaps.

0 293
 06-01-2018, 05:57 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I like them both but use soaps 95% of the time.

48 19,844