06-01-2018, 08:31 PM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-01-2018, 05:57 PM)bullgoose Wrote: I like them both but use soaps 95% of the time.

I’m guessing you have a considerable collection.

10 3,059
 06-01-2018, 09:35 PM
User Info
Funny, I've always been a soap guy, but in the last six months or so I've rediscovered creams -- specifically, Trumper's Eucris, a wonderful incense scent which I received as a birthday gift, and Trumper's Rose, the best rose I've ever experienced. I've not noticed much difference in the quality of the lathers versus soaps, but I can't say I've looked very hard. I get great results with both. Creams are easier, soaps more economical. You need both! Biggrin

0 146
 06-02-2018, 05:17 AM
User Info
(06-01-2018, 02:38 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(06-01-2018, 01:44 PM)RamonCaratejon Wrote: Only creams I've used were the Edwin Jagger Menthol, Lea Classic and Alvarez Gómez, and I have to say I had glorious shaves out of the three, the best one being, IMHO, the Alvarez Gómez. Curiously enough, that cream requires a fairly high amount of water in order for its lather to develop properly. I wonder if you had tried that one, Claus. I also prefer soaps over creams, but in my case I just find them slicker and more protective, regardless of the amount of water they can hold.

I've wet shaved for 30 years, but only during the last two years and a half I did it properly, with a brush and good lather, not canned goo Wink .

Indeed I still own the Alvarez Gomez shaving cream and it's a great shaving cream with a very nice scent too.

In fact I bought two of it, one was soft, the other more firm, and I actually prefer the slightly firmer version, because I can load it almost like a soap/croap.

I have also owned all 3 Castle Forbes creams in both a softer version and a firmer version, and I now have the 3 firmer versions left of my Castle Forbes trio, again probably because I can load it more like a soap.

I just feel, that the best creams for me also are the creams that can take a lot of water loaded into the lather, because it creates a more stable voluminous lather.

Back in the old days, 6-7 years ago, I could create a great lather with all my creams, but it would occasionally start to crack a bit, if I for instance had to put on a new music track or had to spend a minute or two with the lather on, before I could start the shave.

Soaps can crack too, but I just feel creams on average are slightly less stable on my skin, even if I load it with extra water.
On average my soaps can take more water than my creams in my experience.

Glad to hear that. FYI, there were some batches of Alvarez Gómez that were a bit softer, and other batch was plainly too soft, almost liquid. There was an obvious production mishap and the brand replaced the tub for a new one in all the cases I heard of, whenever there was a customer claim on that. I finished my tub some time ago and I will have another one in the future, sure, but I have already too many soaps and want to try others before.

Speaking of this, the English creams are still a mistery to me. I heard very good things of a few, particularly of the Castle Forbes and Truefitt and Hill, but I also heard most of them come from the same manufacturer, and are afterwards rebranded under different names. This is something I would like to learn about, because the scents are highly praised, and limes, lavender and the like are something I like for this season. Again, nothing I plan on purchasing in the near future, but that I have in my waitlist in the medium term.

0 198
 06-02-2018, 05:45 AM
  • ischiapp
  • Ischia, Naples, Italy
User Info
This is my POV.
When I want best frag, I go cream ... i.e. T&H Grafton.
When I want best post, I go hard soap ... i.e.  SV / MT.
Something between, according to each product, I go croap ... i.e. dozens of artisanal and semi-artisanal.

0 1,440
 06-02-2018, 02:02 PM
User Info
Winter: XPEC
Summer: soaps with CRSW Olfactory Hue in the lead by 31 lengths followed by Stirling and some others...

55 1,276
 06-02-2018, 04:41 PM
User Info
If I've got to pick my choice for best creams, it's C.R. Salter and Truefitt & Hill.
If I have to pick a hard soap, Saponificio Varensino .

0 755
 06-03-2018, 12:43 AM
User Info
SV soaps lather as easily as creams  and are a treet for your skin.

0 127
 06-03-2018, 04:43 AM
User Info
another member said cushion and glide. IMHO I think this is the heart of the matter for any soap maker and shaver alike. Cushion and glide.

55 1,276
 06-03-2018, 07:07 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I very much prefer creams over soaps. My preferred creams are from TOBS and GFT. I will, however, use a soap from time-to-time, but always revert to cream in the end.

9 1,032
 06-03-2018, 09:38 AM
User Info
(06-03-2018, 07:07 AM)Rufus Wrote: I very much prefer creams over soaps. My preferred creams are from TOBS and GFT. I will, however, use a soap from time-to-time, but always revert to cream in the end.

For how long have you been wetshaving using a brush ?

25 6,352
 06-03-2018, 11:00 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(06-03-2018, 09:38 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(06-03-2018, 07:07 AM)Rufus Wrote: I very much prefer creams over soaps. My preferred creams are from TOBS and GFT. I will, however, use a soap from time-to-time, but always revert to cream in the end.

About 50 years. I’m 71 and think I started using a brush in my early to mid 20s.

9 1,032
 06-03-2018, 03:46 PM
User Info
(06-03-2018, 11:00 AM)Rufus Wrote:
(06-03-2018, 09:38 AM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(06-03-2018, 07:07 AM)Rufus Wrote: I very much prefer creams over soaps.  My preferred creams are from TOBS and GFT.  I will, however, use a soap from time-to-time, but always revert to cream in the end.

About 50 years.  I’m 71 and think I started using a brush in my early to mid 20s.

RESPECT !

Do you prefer to bowl lather or face lather ?

25 6,352
 06-03-2018, 05:35 PM
User Info
I started on creams, and imagine most people did. There are some very good creams out there. But these days I have mostly soaps because of the insane variety of formulas and scents out there. Scent is a pretty big factor in my enjoyment of the shave.

Overall, I'd say that I prefer soaps because I have soaps that outperform creams, but also my AOS and TOBS creams are not the worst in my shave den (some soaps do lose out).

6 992
 06-04-2018, 08:16 AM
User Info
My experience thus far is still limited, but my top mass-produced soaps are Tabac, Van der Hagen, and Williams.  D.R. Harris seemed a bit dry and hard to load with the brushes I had at the time, but now that I have my synthetic and my horse hair brushes, I may give it another go.  I haven't had opportunity to try many artisan soaps yet—Dr. Jon's and Artisan Soap Shoppe so far, though I won a PIF last week featuring some Russian-made tins and those should arrive within a week or two.  I'm eager to give Stirling Scots Pine Sheep a try, though, because the sampler bath bar I got with my Autumn Glory balm was so good.

The creams I've tried are similarly limited to VdH, Cremo, both out of plastic tubes, and Taylor of Old Bond Street in a tub.  My favorite, hands down, is Taylor.  I don't need to use much to whip up a good lather, especially if I'm using my Stirling synthetic (which soaks up water like you wouldn't believe).  With the tube-creams, I had to use much more than what the writing on the back suggested because the coating was simply too thin to cover my face without dissipating rapidly.

My preference goes in whatever direction I happen to feel like going on a given day.

0 113
 06-04-2018, 12:42 PM
User Info
I started shaving in the sixties with my father's DE razor and a GEM also. Then about 1969 I switched to an electric razor for several years. I did start using a brush and wet shaving again about 1973 on and off. Then about 7 years ago I came back to wet shaving full time and gave up my electric.
I started out with soaps but tried a few creams. I preferred soaps and used them mostly but a few months ago I got a renewed interest in creams. Now I enjoy using both about equal. I might mention with soaps I really like using shave sticks.

5 1,789
 06-04-2018, 08:23 PM
User Info
I started with Proraso cream, then went to Truefitt and Hill, then to Trumpers.  Once I started using soaps, though, it wasn't long before I pretty much stopped using creams.

As of now I only use a cream when I'm on the road, which is not very often. Even then, sometimes I pack a soap. I shave every day and I have used soaps almost exclusively for the better part of seven years.

3 1,912
 06-05-2018, 04:31 AM
User Info
(05-31-2018, 10:10 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: When I started the journey my preference was creams, because I liked how easy it was to get lather from it and you didn’t have to rub the puck but could just dip the brush to get product enough for a shave.

Now 7 years later I vastly prefer soaps.

Creams have a tendency to dry a bit faster on my skin and I experience the snow flake effect. Not always, but the tendency is there. I seem to be able to get more water loaded into soaps, so the lather will stay more stable for a longer time. I also try to load more water into my creams, but only a few of them will accept the water and hold it in the lather. Almost all my soaps will hold more water than most of my creams, which gives me a more stable and moist lather.

I used to feel it was the other way around. Soaps would dry out faster on me. But that was because I didn’t load enough water into the soap. And used too little of it. With creams I always used more product than necessary.

I also have to stress, that I tend to get a more slick lather from my soaps, while creams give me more cushion. So I'm not trying to bach creams, I respect creams and still own quite a bit of them - pretty much all the best creams is still in my possession: ADP old, ADP new, 3 x Castle Forbes, ABC, 5 x St. James, 5 x Esbjerg, 2 x Xpec, Floris 89 and a few .......or 20 more....

It’s funny how things, taste and preferences change over time, isn’t it

How about you ?
What do you prefer ?
For how long have you been wet shaving ?

The snowflake effect is interesting.  Is the ingredients for the creams that do this some variation of lots of stearic acid then a bit of coconut oil?

0 330
 06-08-2018, 09:08 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I've primarily used soaps since starting wet shaving in 1962. However, after trying hundreds of different soaps over the years, for the fun of it and for something new, I've been trying a preponderance of creams this past year or so. I find little difference in performance between a quality soap and a quality cream. After over 55 years of using soaps, I've developed an appreciation for quality creams. My current favorite creams are of no surprize:

1.  Castle Forbes
2.  XPEC
3.  Acqua Di Parma
4.  Penhaligon's
5.  Antica Barbieria Cola
6.  Santa Maria Novella V3
7.  Alvarez Gomez
8.  The Obsessive Soap Perfectionist
9.  Proraso Single Blade
10.Stone Cottage Soapworks (newest formulation)
11.Tabula Rasa

I don't particularly care for debates about creams vs. soaps, tallow vs. vegan, artisan vs. classic, etc. I don't think creams are for newbies and soaps are for experienced shavers, or that one is better than the other. What's important is that we enjoy our shaves and the products we use. I'll continue to use soaps, creams, and cream soaps, although I do think a good cream is hard to beat.

38 5,631
 06-09-2018, 04:43 PM
User Info
I almost always use soaps. Exceptions are Taylor Avocado, Nancy Boy Blossomwood, and Palmolive w/menthol, all of which give me a unique scent I haven't quite found in a soap.

0 27
 06-09-2018, 04:55 PM
User Info
(06-08-2018, 09:08 PM)evnpar Wrote: I've primarily used soaps since starting wet shaving in 1962. However, after trying hundreds of different soaps over the years, for the fun of it and for something new, I've been trying a preponderance of creams this past year or so. I find little difference in performance between a quality soap and a quality cream. After over 55 years of using soaps, I've developed an appreciation for quality creams. My current favorite creams are of no surprize:

1.  Castle Forbes
2.  XPEC
3.  Acqua Di Parma
4.  Penhaligon's
5.  Antica Barbieria Cola
6.  Santa Maria Novella V3
7.  Alvarez Gomez
8.  The Obsessive Soap Perfectionist
9.  Proraso Single Blade
10.Stone Cottage Soapworks (newest formulation)
11.Tabula Rasa

I don't particularly care for debates about creams vs. soaps, tallow vs. vegan, artisan vs. classic, etc. I don't think creams are for newbies and soaps are for experienced shavers, or that one is better than the other. What's important is that we enjoy our shaves and the products we use. I'll continue to use soaps, creams, and cream soaps, although I do think a good cream is hard to beat.

Wow that's a LONG time of wetshaving. I am sure you've used literally a ton of products. Given your experience I am curious which of these soaps you find truly exceptional?

20 880