06-02-2018, 12:55 AM
User Info
Hello all dear friends,

I'm one who has so far been chaising  BBS in every single shave. I don't really get a lot of cuts as I have some experience with DE's & SE's but a bit of irritation is present after every BBS attempt. Last shave I decided to leave it at DFS. One pass and a few corrections XTG. That was all. Obviously it took less time to shave but this is not the issue here. Visually the resulting shave looked as good as BBS, but I could feel some stubble under the jaw line which didn't bother me at all. The shave was completely irritation free, to the point that aftershave balm was not really needed. Two days after the shave, I see that the growth is not that much longer had I achieved  BBS.
Now I'm beginning to think that BBS is not needed as it doesn't look any better than DFS and the skin remains irritation free. YMMV.

0 448
 06-02-2018, 01:53 AM
User Info
Caveat: Like everything else when it comes to wetshaving, this is likely down to personal preference and all that.

To me a SAS/DFS is a better target than a BBS, regardless of using a DE, SE or disposable. As you have experienced, a BBS can and often will cause irritation and even shave bumps and weepers - and for me at least shave bumps means I need to back of the shaving for a few days... and that is a sad thing.

I would still use an aftershave balm or other moisturisers even if the shave feels completely irritation free though... both to be on the safe side and because, honestly, putting it on feels good and is part of the shaving experience Biggrin

3 5,821
 06-02-2018, 03:49 AM
User Info
Chasing the Baby is a sure recipe for disaster. My credo: Focus on removing the lather, not the hair; ride the cap (i.e. maintain the angle); make sure the lather is well-hydrated. The Baby will find you.  Biggrin

50 4,730
 06-02-2018, 03:53 AM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
(06-02-2018, 03:49 AM)primotenore Wrote: Chasing the Baby is a sure recipe for disaster. My credo: Focus on removing the lather, not the hair; ride the cap (i.e. maintain the angle); make sure the lather is well-hydrated. The Baby will find you.  Biggrin

Ha, ha very well said Primo !

10 442
 06-02-2018, 03:59 AM
User Info
(06-02-2018, 03:53 AM)Bony Wrote:
(06-02-2018, 03:49 AM)primotenore Wrote: Chasing the Baby is a sure recipe for disaster. My credo: Focus on removing the lather, not the hair; ride the cap (i.e. maintain the angle); make sure the lather is well-hydrated. The Baby will find you.  Biggrin

Ha, ha very well said Primo !
Biggrin

50 4,730
 06-02-2018, 04:04 AM
User Info
I don't have a problem with irritation, but over time I've gotten much more relaxed about the BBS thing.  If it happens (and it usually does), it happens.  And I do prefer razors capable of providing it.  Still, I don't much care if it's DFS or BBS.  Less than DFS disappoints me, but I don't lose any sleep over it.

19 309
 06-02-2018, 04:31 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I am happy with whatever a two pass shave will give me.  99% of the time that is a DFS.

181 25,131
 06-02-2018, 04:53 AM
User Info
As Johnny said what ever a two pass gives me, most of the time it’s a DFS

7 1,631
 06-02-2018, 05:10 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info

This is actually brilliant!

22 858
 06-02-2018, 05:24 AM
User Info
(06-02-2018, 05:10 AM)chamm Wrote:

This is actually brilliant!
Thank you Craig. I actually enjoy a BBS and part of the attraction for me in our hobby is my ability to achieve such. (Even if it only lasts for a few hours!) If one, however, is satisfied with a DFS, it's their shave, they should have it their way. The OP seems to be "trying" to get a BBS shave and that to me is bass-ackward. (sic). 

50 4,730
 06-02-2018, 05:32 AM
User Info
I shave daily for two reasons. One is appearance, of course. In my mid fourties, a great part of my stubble is already white and I can't afford, as I could a few years back, to leave a two or three days growth and look "cool". The other reason is the skins of those I love, who turn out to be either grown up females or little male munchkins who will complain if I'm scratchy. What I have learnt is that I don't need a mirror finish, BBS (you name it) on a daily basis. More importantly, I can't afford it. On special occasions, or special events, I might go for that mirror finish that requires an ATG pass and a few touch ups, but it takes a toll on my skin, and the day after there is little to be shaved (preventing me from my daily pleasures) and furthermore, my skin will demand extra caution.

The technique I have developed, and that works pretty well for me, is a three pass technique in which I do two XTG passes, or two WTG and one XTG, depending on the skin status. This leaves a perfectly smooth skin with a flawless visual aspect, and allows me for daily shaves with no issues. Something to mention, though, is that as the brown haired southern european that I am, and having a white skin as I do, I only get rid of the dark "shadow" if I go for the total BBS. Otherwise, this shadow is visible all year round but in summertime.

0 199
 06-02-2018, 06:09 AM
User Info
I am after irritation/cut free shave but I want BBS.

9 1,460
 06-02-2018, 07:10 AM
User Info
I don't mind taking the time in the effort to pass the "cotton ball test" -- but that's my OCD talking.
Fortunately, this seldom comes at the cost of irritation.

10 1,051
 06-02-2018, 07:24 AM
User Info

Precisely.

A BBS is more a natural product of correct technique and gear. Once you have those in order you won't be able to stop from having a BBS.

32 6,524
 06-02-2018, 06:53 PM
User Info
I generally do 2 passes and get what I get.  When I am going out or have a real important day I will do three passes but the difference is marginal.

0 356
 06-02-2018, 09:59 PM
User Info
A thread started and it led to goldmine of excellent posts. I agree with many of the great points made from a variety of members. Thank you for your posts gentlemen.

84 1,633
 06-03-2018, 10:52 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
My goal is irritation free. I started using DEs because I of irritation and ingrown hairs. I only do 2 WTG passes, so I will never get a BBS, but I’ll take a close enough comfortable shave over BBS and razor bumps.

3 640
 06-03-2018, 11:25 AM
  • chazt
  • Queens, NY
User Info
(06-03-2018, 10:52 AM)DayMan Wrote: My goal is irritation free. I started using DEs because I of irritation and ingrown hairs. I only do 2 WTG passes, so I will never get a BBS, but I’ll take a close enough comfortable shave over BBS and razor bumps.

Yes, I agree that irritation free is my most important consideration as well. 2 passes and I'm good.

10 3,159
 06-03-2018, 11:58 AM
User Info
I employ a 4-pass method, with the goal being the closest irritation-free shave I can get. Due to my neck being both sensitive, and the hollows featuring a circular “hurricane” growth pattern - a BBS isn’t always achievable.

31 1,624
 06-03-2018, 09:29 PM
User Info
I would say that chasing BBS can be a waste of time, considering that its gone usually within 8 hours anyways and no one is going to notice a difference from DFS to BBS.  I'll admit that IM guility of chasing perfection too much and often giving myself weepers.  I would easily just do 2 XTG passes, get a nice DFS and call it a day but Im always temped to go for an ATG pass to get that last little bit of closeness.
I figure if Im going to invest this much time and money in something like shaving, I want perfection.

0 100