06-04-2018, 09:01 AM
User Info
(06-02-2018, 07:24 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(06-02-2018, 03:49 AM)primotenore Wrote: Chasing the Baby is a sure recipe for disaster. My credo: Focus on removing the lather, not the hair; ride the cap (i.e. maintain the angle); make sure the lather is well-hydrated. The Baby will find you.  Biggrin

Precisely.

A BBS is more a natural product of correct technique and gear. Once you have those in order you won't be able to stop from having a BBS.
And that's why daily shaving is so enjoyable. You get to start fresh every morning.  Biggrin

50 4,736
 06-04-2018, 03:47 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I insist on billiard ball smoothness for no logical reason, except that it means I’ve aligned my skills with my tools. I seem to have a rugged, blade-friendly face, which doesn’t attract cuts, irritation, weepers or other negatives, which helps a great deal. But I don’t use razors that I can’t get to deliver a BBS. Blades, soap, cream, brushes and other gear don’t seem to matter as much, but only some of my razors get me the close shave I expect. I do two passes, both a combo of ATG and XTG, and tons of buffing. I suspect I cover every square mm of my face at least 15-20 times. (Too much Colorado sun as a lifeguard in the ‘70s created a tough hide.)

Demanding BBS shaves is but one of my many odd quirks.

10 562
 06-04-2018, 04:08 PM
User Info
I have given up seeking a BBS shave. My skin is just too sensitive. And maybe my technique is at fault too. However, I find that the only way to distinguish between a BBS shave and a 2 pass WTG and XTG shave is if you touch the skin. So for me, BBS is not worth the irritation on my skin.

0 43
 06-05-2018, 11:56 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I'm very lucky and grateful. With the tools I use I get BBS every shave. Every. Three passes, little if any touchups so yeah, for me no problem,  it's worth it.

8 2,531
 06-05-2018, 12:29 PM
User Info
(06-05-2018, 11:56 AM)Mouser Wrote: I'm very lucky and grateful. With the tools I use I get BBS every shave. Every. Three passes, little if any touchups so yeah, for me no problem,  it's worth it.

Same for me.

22 806
 06-05-2018, 03:31 PM
  • JABF99
  • Illinois
User Info
I do the 2-passes and then touch up a couple of areas.  This isn't BBS, but gives me a comfortable shave that is a DFS.

0 29
 06-05-2018, 05:13 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(06-03-2018, 09:29 PM)Badgerstate Wrote: I would say that chasing BBS can be a waste of time, considering that its gone usually within 8 hours anyways and no one is going to notice a difference from DFS to BBS.  I'll admit that IM guility of chasing perfection too much and often giving myself weepers.  I would easily just do 2 XTG passes, get a nice DFS and call it a day but Im always temped to go for an ATG pass to get that last little bit of closeness.
I figure if Im going to invest this much time and money in something like shaving, I want perfection.

You raise what is, for me, an interesting point. I can get a “temporary” BBS (i.e., 6 to 8 hours) with some razors (e.g., vintage Gillette Old Styles and NEWs). I don’t use those much. I want both closeness and longevity, and there are only a relative few that deliver. In the last six months, I’ve discovered several less blade-forward DEs that combine them both, namely the Paradigm 17-4, Karve with an F plate, and Asylum Evolution T model. This space intrigues me, as my general experience is that close, long-lasting shaves are a direct function of blade-forwardness (that is, “aggressiveness”). Maybe the industry is refining the trade-off...

10 562
 06-06-2018, 03:35 PM
User Info
Short answer: No

Long answer: Not worth it for ME, but as with anything, YMMV.  I had been cartridge shaving for 26 years before I was finally introduced to DEs and proper wet shaving a little over 3 years ago.  For the first time in my life, I've found it enjoyable!  No irritation, no ingrown hairs, no nothing, just clean smooth skin.  I'm usually a twice a week head and face shaver with difficult hair and sensitive skin, so with that in mind, I focus on the entire shaving experience.  Poor a drink, or pack a bowl with the rest of us in Washington ;-), turn on some music, proper prep, the right razor/handle combo, and take my time.  Start to finish, I'm in the hour and a half range, which includes thorough cleanup of whatever gear I'm using.  My head is covered with extremely thick coarse hair that grows if I think too hard AND I'm cursed with about a  dozen cowlicks, so shaving WTG is a relative term.  WTG + XTG + a little touch up = DFS+ about 95% of the time.  Same thing with my face, except the hair isn't quite as densely packed.  Even coarser hair, more cowlicks, more curves to shave around, but still no cuts, nicks, or weepers.  Adding the extra ATG step would increase the likelihood of tearing up my skin exponentially and after a few hours, it's the same as the 2 pass.

0 3
 06-21-2018, 10:02 PM
User Info
I had the same dilemma, I always want BBS even though I got irritation, so I have been buying loads of razors, blades soaps etc chasing the irritation free BBS. I have now settled on UK Wilkies in an Aluminium handled Tech!! Wierdly I don't find them the sharpest blade, but I find them really smooth, so I have to do short strokes, often buffing, 3 passes but I get BBS with no irritation. I don't know if its the coatings on modern blades or what it is, but i'm rather happy for now! I'm in the UK too so kinda helps sourcing them lol Smile

0 16
 06-24-2018, 04:43 PM
User Info
I think the answer depends on the individual. If you can get there without irritation and without being late for work, go for it. If the irritation and time factors are working against you, don't.

Nobody (except maybe one of us Tongue ) ever notices the difference between BBS, DFS or SAS on another person, so no worries. That said, I go for BBS on most shaves because I love the way it feels. Heart

0 146
 06-24-2018, 08:27 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
I'm one of the outliers who expects BBS every time (although I don't always get it). It's not about perfection; rather, I enjoy feeling the smoothness of my shave throughout the day. My job requires no special shaving regimen, and my beard is gray enough that it wouldn't really matter anyway. But given the choice between a shave that is extremely close and long-lasting, and one that is not, why not choose the former? I've found with the right razor, I can generally achieve my goal with no extra effort. Granted, the razors that work for me are regarded as "aggressive monsters," e.g. R41 2011, Ikon Tech, etc., but without a blade-forward monster I can't get a close shave. And the aggressive razors are not any more difficult to use, or more damaging, on my face than the milder ones. Why not get a closer shave, if there's no marginal cost?

I used my Ikon Tech this morning and, over 12 hours later, I still feel no stubble. I'll use it again tomorrow.

10 562
 06-25-2018, 06:09 AM
User Info
The only place to find perfection before work is in a dictionary.

60 1,349
 06-25-2018, 06:37 AM
User Info
In the old days, of my youth, as a W.O.C. (warrant officer candidate). We were required to have a BBS shave 7 days a week.
That required shaving twice a day on many occasions. That was THEN, this is NOW. Now just a two pass+ touchup.

0 865
 06-25-2018, 07:41 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
My wife loves a BBS face... and that makes it all worthwhile for me.

13 683
 06-25-2018, 12:53 PM
User Info
Yes...it is worth it.

13 545
 06-26-2018, 12:44 AM
User Info
(06-25-2018, 06:37 AM)zipper Wrote: In the old days, of my youth, as a W.O.C. (warrant officer candidate). We were required to have a BBS shave 7 days a week.
That required shaving twice a day on many occasions. That was THEN, this is NOW. Now just a two pass+ touchup.

Cheers to these days then to ya zipper!  Biggrin

84 1,633
 06-26-2018, 11:38 AM
User Info
Not only is it desirable but it is the only possible result when using top level soap/cream, a nice razor, and a sharp blade.  I've had bbs shaves from mild to ultra aggressive razors.

0 402
 06-26-2018, 02:24 PM
User Info
My skin only handles two passes with the grain.

0 37
 07-10-2018, 04:56 AM
User Info
I joined this forum just to reply to this thread, although I assume now that I am signed up, I will dive into more conversations. As a fairly new wet shaver (a few months), I have learned a lot here, and appreciate that all of you spend so much time and effort helping folks and sharing information. It has been enormously illustrative. 

As a new guy, digging on the internet about how to get started, you read that acronym everywhere, 'BBS.' And as you watch how-to videos, you see seemingly everyone making three pass shaves and talking about BBS, like it is the only acceptable outcome of the morning shave routine. In my own experience, BBS became the only thing to aspire to, and before I had any idea whether I had the technique or the gear that was right for me for just a simple WTG shave, I was dragging my razor ATG and not enjoying what I was doing. The end result was smooth, but let's just say the road I took to get there was bumpy. I just thought that the three pass shave was standard operating procedure for a proper wet shave. 

For new shavers, there is a middle ground. A single, or two-pass shave with the grain of your hair, that allows you to first learn how your razor works, how your technique works (or doesn't), and how your skin reacts to what you are doing. Perhaps not a BBS shave, but as others have said, a 'damn fine shave,' one that is serviceable for daily life, and allows you to figure out what you are doing with that DE razor. 

Others have said, if the technique works, then your shaves will boast a BBS result. for new guys struggling with discomfort and perhaps frustration, know that the skills to protect your skin during an XTG or ATG pass, come, at least in my view, from perfecting the WTG pass.

0 1
 07-10-2018, 07:57 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-04-2018, 09:01 AM)primotenore Wrote: A BBS is more a natural product of correct technique and gear. Once you have those in order you won't be able to stop from having a BBS.
That's why daily shaving is so enjoyable. You get to start fresh every morning.  Biggrin [/i][/b]

Well, yes and no.
Frankly, if a shave positutely, absolively, has to be a BBS, I can achieve a BBS without fail, every shave, using a Feather MR3 neo cartridge razor after pre-shave prep with any among a couple dozen select shaving soaps/creams.  The MR3 neo is so design-optimized that it is fail-proof.  

Which saps the fun element from shaving.  Sure, I can take the train or the backside of the mountain to the summit of the North Face of the Eiger.  Similarly, with the Feather MR2 neo, the resulting shave is on autopilot, and a BBS is all but assured.

Autopilot is boring.  Therefore, I use a manual transmission DE razor at home for my daily shave, especially because it is not fail-proof.  If I achieve a BBS, therefore, I can legitimately take credit for having the skill and attention to detail to use all of the tools to their ultimate capabilities.  I can pat myself on the back for my mastery of those skills.

And is that not what privately awarding a BBS rating to a shave is all about?

1 1,282