07-10-2018, 09:02 PM
User Info
September will mark, I believe, three years of pursuing classic DE/SE shaving pleasure and excellence. 

My learning curve was steep but regular incremental improvements have gotten me to a point where an irritation-free BBS/near-BBS is almost a daily norm.  That development has only come together for me recently.   And I like it.

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr

0 28
 07-10-2018, 09:37 PM
User Info
(07-10-2018, 09:02 PM)Mazama Wrote: September will mark, I believe, three years of pursuing classic DE/SE shaving pleasure and excellence. 

My learning curve was steep but regular incremental improvements have gotten me to a point where an irritation-free BBS/near-BBS is almost a daily norm.  That development has only come together for me recently.   And I like it.

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr
Sounds like your chase helped you catch some excellent shaves!

Happy Shaving!
49erShaver

0 198
 07-11-2018, 01:54 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(06-03-2018, 09:29 PM)Badgerstate Wrote: I would say that chasing BBS can be a waste of time, considering that its gone usually within 8 hours anyways and no one is going to notice a difference from DFS to BBS.  I'll admit that IM guility of chasing perfection too much and often giving myself weepers.  I would easily just do 2 XTG passes, get a nice DFS and call it a day but Im always temped to go for an ATG pass to get that last little bit of closeness.
I figure if Im going to invest this much time and money in something like shaving, I want perfection.

Well, let's see, where to start?
First, yes chasing a BBS is a waste of time but chasing the right tools and skill to where it just happens every time  isn't. 
I don't understand the point about it being gone in 8 hours. Of course it is, so is any result you get immediately after your shave.
And you'll notice and so will your significant other and also, if you're Italian like me, half, so will any of your Italian relatives you may run into that insist on a hug and a kiss like they lost touch with you 20 years ago in spite of the fact you had dinner with them last night.

8 2,605
 07-11-2018, 02:50 AM
User Info
(07-10-2018, 07:57 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(06-04-2018, 09:01 AM)primotenore Wrote: A BBS is more a natural product of correct technique and gear. Once you have those in order you won't be able to stop from having a BBS.
That's why daily shaving is so enjoyable. You get to start fresh every morning.  Biggrin [/i][/b]

Well, yes and no.
Frankly, if a shave positutely, absolively, has to be a BBS, I can achieve a BBS without fail, every shave, using a Feather MR3 neo cartridge razor after pre-shave prep with any among a couple dozen select shaving soaps/creams.  The MR3 neo is so design-optimized that it is fail-proof.  

Which saps the fun element from shaving.  Sure, I can take the train or the backside of the mountain to the summit of the North Face of the Eiger.  Similarly, with the Feather MR2 neo, the resulting shave is on autopilot, and a BBS is all but assured.

Autopilot is boring.  Therefore, I use a manual transmission DE razor at home for my daily shave, especially because it is not fail-proof.  If I achieve a BBS, therefore, I can legitimately take credit for having the skill and attention to detail to use all of the tools to their ultimate capabilities.  I can pat myself on the back for my mastery of those skills.

And is that not what privately awarding a BBS rating to a shave is all about?
You combined two posts to make your point. 
I did say: "That's why daily shaving is so enjoyable. You get to start fresh every morning" But DID NOT say: "A BBS is more a natural product of correct technique and gear. Once you have those in order you won't be able to stop from having a BBS."
I stand by my statement, but do not---and won't take credit for the latter. Please be more careful when quoting people.

65 5,223
 07-11-2018, 09:07 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-11-2018, 02:50 AM)primotenore Wrote: You combined two posts to make your point. 
I did say: "That's why daily shaving is so enjoyable. You get to start fresh every morning" But DID NOT say: "A BBS is more a natural product of correct technique and gear. Once you have those in order you won't be able to stop from having a BBS."
I stand by my statement, but do not---and won't take credit for the latter. Please be more careful when quoting people.

Please accept my apologies for an inadvertent conflation.
Within the rather complex message editing mechanism for this forum, I regularly employ the rightmost option on the tool menu:  View source (ctrl+shift+s).  In so doing in the referenced reply, apparently, I redacted a bracketed /quote - quote pair, making it appear that a response to a previous message containing a quotation was of a piece with the message to which you responded.

Again, I am sorry for creating the misimpression.

1 1,354
 07-12-2018, 03:17 AM
User Info
(07-11-2018, 09:07 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 02:50 AM)primotenore Wrote: You combined two posts to make your point. 

Please accept my apologies for an inadvertent conflation.
Within the rather complex message editing mechanism for this forum, I regularly employ the rightmost option on the tool menu:  View source (ctrl+shift+s).  In so doing in the referenced reply, apparently, I redacted a bracketed /quote - quote pair, making it appear that a response to a previous message containing a quotation was of a piece with the message to which you responded.

Again, I am sorry for creating the misimpression.
Accepted, thank you. Back to BBS shaving...

65 5,223
 07-16-2018, 05:54 AM
User Info
Chasing the Baby, as I've seen it refereed to here or BBS, is for me an objective to just reach but not exceed as then there's irritation for what may be "too close" a shave.
I leave the BBS up to my Barber who wields a straight razor expertly, as I'm a chicken to attempt that, I'll leave it to the pros. 
Finding a DE blade and razor combo that works well, I'll make a note and will return to it regularly, like using Astra (Green) Superior Platinums in my non-adjustable Gillette TTO's.

I find more aggressive blades (Gillette Platinum & Silver Blues) seem to work best in the adjustable Gillette razors like the Model 195 (Fat Boy) and Slim.
I have a 1971 Black Beauty showing up in the post today, I believe it's a "short" Super-84 but it's hard to tell from the picture on eBay, either way it'll be nice.
I'm gifting my ex-GF today as well, she started wet shaving her legs, so only appropriate she have a suitable razor, a 1970 Lady Gillette and some good DE blades.

[Image: D96OMFr.jpg]

0 33
 03-21-2019, 04:05 PM
  • BMOC
  • Florida
User Info
(06-02-2018, 07:24 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(06-02-2018, 03:49 AM)primotenore Wrote: Chasing the Baby is a sure recipe for disaster. My credo: Focus on removing the lather, not the hair; ride the cap (i.e. maintain the angle); make sure the lather is well-hydrated. The Baby will find you.  Biggrin

Precisely.

A BBS is more a natural product of correct technique and gear. Once you have those in order you won't be able to stop from having a BBS.

Totally agree with this statement

0 59
 03-21-2019, 05:56 PM
User Info
I equate chasing a BBS with perfecting your shaving technique.  And for that it is definitely worth it.  When I first received a double edge razor pif from another forum member, and from that first shave with it, I knew that this would work out.  Because that first shave was far superior to any cart shave I had had over those many decades.  Then I as I participated more in the forums I learned more about different  implements and was able to find even better hardware that produced even better shaves.  But I was still far from BBS.  It wasn't until I became more knowledgeable in such things as mapping your beard that I began to get closer to a BBS.  And I think it was the beard mapping that actually got me that last bit of the way there.  So, yes, chasing BBS aka honing your technique is most definitely worth it.

2 251
 03-21-2019, 07:03 PM
User Info
I'm irritated when I encounter a blade that doesn't let me.  I'm looking at you Astra SS and Vokshod.  I get BBS from every other blade I use: Nacet, Personna Platinum, Vidyut Supermax platinum, Crystal.

1 501
 03-21-2019, 07:48 PM
User Info
The look of an even, smooth face is more important to me rather than needing the feel of virtually no stubble. If there is a bit of stubble (say around the chin or under the chin) but it looks like it is BBS, then I am happy. I do my best to just shave without chasing the real baby butt smooth. Doesn't mean it never happens but it is hard for my skin to take even 2 passes without risking razor burn.

84 1,691
 03-22-2019, 07:21 AM
User Info
(06-02-2018, 03:49 AM)primotenore Wrote: Chasing the Baby is a sure recipe for disaster. My credo: Focus on removing the lather, not the hair; ride the cap (i.e. maintain the angle); make sure the lather is well-hydrated. The Baby will find you.  Biggrin

Precisely.

A BBS is more a natural product of correct technique and gear. Once you have those in order you won't be able to stop from having a BBS.

This is so correct.  Once my technique (lathering and shaving) was on point, then BBS was the norm.  Learn your technique and good thing will happen.  As my technique got to where it needed to be, I revisited old razors and soaps and found them to be very good.  The failing was my hardware or software it was me.  

0 102
 03-23-2019, 05:08 PM
User Info
No. DFS is worth it. BBS is just a bit to much. Also I find it not to last after lunch anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 3
 03-26-2019, 10:24 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(03-23-2019, 05:08 PM)JFrode Wrote: No. DFS is worth it. BBS is just a bit to much. Also I find it not to last after lunch anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if your BBS is gone after lunch, what does your DFS become?
I don't chase it, it happens everytime which is fortunate because it's what I  want and I wouldn't accept anything less. It's a combination of the skill I  developed and even more so, I  believe,  what I  use. That and the fact that my skin is very ,...insensitive? Three passes, BBS, no irritation and weepers are as rare as UFO sightings,  at least since the 70's.

8 2,605
 03-31-2019, 04:09 PM
User Info
Not a chaser. I get pretty near to it without going for it anyway. I focus more on relaxing and enjoying the moment and ritual.

0 120
 04-01-2019, 03:50 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
These discussions focus on the results of a shave without consideration of the particulars of beard pattern, smoothness of the skin or difficulty in cutting the beard.  The more difficult the shaving problem, the harder it will be  to get a BBS.  A soft beard on young, smooth skin will yield a BBS without much effort.  If you have one or more of the following conditions, scar tissue, acne, hair folicels that lie above skin level, a beard that is difficult to cut, it will take good tools, good technique and patience to get a satisfactory shave.

The goal is to get the best possible shave you can given your shave problem.  Whatever shave you can get without cuts and irritation is your "BBS".

19 573
 04-04-2019, 04:06 AM
User Info
kyproset Wrote: Now I'm beginning to think that BBS is not needed as it doesn't look any better than DFS and the skin remains irritation free. YMMV.
I'm definitely in the BBS camp. The whole purpose of learning to wet shave was to get the closest shave possible. As previously stated, however, whether or not you "chase BBS" is a matter of personal preference.

One thing I discovered during my initial learning period was the methods described in forums for traditional shaving didn't work for me. That "3 pass" method was not enough. I require MULTIPLE passes in every direction to get a shave close enough to not annoy me midday. To achieve this goal I had to abandon soap and brush to adopt a slick shaving cream that would allow multiple passes without irritation.

In anycase, the only thing necessary for you to do is find whatever closeness you're comfortable with. Your face...your decision.

0 30
 04-04-2019, 04:10 AM
User Info
(03-22-2019, 07:21 AM)Preacher Wrote:

Precisely.

This is so correct.  Once my technique (lathering and shaving) was on point, then BBS was the norm.  Learn your technique and good thing will happen.  As my technique got to where it needed to be, I revisited old razors and soaps and found them to be very good.  The failing was my hardware or software it was me.  

Well said.

0 30
 04-04-2019, 06:40 PM
  • TomG
  • Perth, Western Australia
User Info
I will usually do three passes; the caveat being that I favour milder razors.
The exception is if I am pressed for time; I'm then fine with two passes.

The overarching guide for me is how the shave is feeling.  If the blade is gliding beautifully and cutting cleanly, I'm comfortable to go for the third pass.

1 134