07-10-2018, 09:02 PM
User Info
September will mark, I believe, three years of pursuing classic DE/SE shaving pleasure and excellence. 

My learning curve was steep but regular incremental improvements have gotten me to a point where an irritation-free BBS/near-BBS is almost a daily norm.  That development has only come together for me recently.   And I like it.

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr

0 24
 07-10-2018, 09:37 PM
User Info
(07-10-2018, 09:02 PM)Mazama Wrote: September will mark, I believe, three years of pursuing classic DE/SE shaving pleasure and excellence. 

My learning curve was steep but regular incremental improvements have gotten me to a point where an irritation-free BBS/near-BBS is almost a daily norm.  That development has only come together for me recently.   And I like it.

“Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr
Sounds like your chase helped you catch some excellent shaves!

Happy Shaving!
49erShaver

0 150
 07-11-2018, 01:54 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(06-03-2018, 09:29 PM)Badgerstate Wrote: I would say that chasing BBS can be a waste of time, considering that its gone usually within 8 hours anyways and no one is going to notice a difference from DFS to BBS.  I'll admit that IM guility of chasing perfection too much and often giving myself weepers.  I would easily just do 2 XTG passes, get a nice DFS and call it a day but Im always temped to go for an ATG pass to get that last little bit of closeness.
I figure if Im going to invest this much time and money in something like shaving, I want perfection.

Well, let's see, where to start?
First, yes chasing a BBS is a waste of time but chasing the right tools and skill to where it just happens every time  isn't. 
I don't understand the point about it being gone in 8 hours. Of course it is, so is any result you get immediately after your shave.
And you'll notice and so will your significant other and also, if you're Italian like me, half, so will any of your Italian relatives you may run into that insist on a hug and a kiss like they lost touch with you 20 years ago in spite of the fact you had dinner with them last night.

8 2,514
 07-11-2018, 02:50 AM
User Info
(07-10-2018, 07:57 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(06-04-2018, 09:01 AM)primotenore Wrote: A BBS is more a natural product of correct technique and gear. Once you have those in order you won't be able to stop from having a BBS.
That's why daily shaving is so enjoyable. You get to start fresh every morning.  Biggrin [/i][/b]

Well, yes and no.
Frankly, if a shave positutely, absolively, has to be a BBS, I can achieve a BBS without fail, every shave, using a Feather MR3 neo cartridge razor after pre-shave prep with any among a couple dozen select shaving soaps/creams.  The MR3 neo is so design-optimized that it is fail-proof.  

Which saps the fun element from shaving.  Sure, I can take the train or the backside of the mountain to the summit of the North Face of the Eiger.  Similarly, with the Feather MR2 neo, the resulting shave is on autopilot, and a BBS is all but assured.

Autopilot is boring.  Therefore, I use a manual transmission DE razor at home for my daily shave, especially because it is not fail-proof.  If I achieve a BBS, therefore, I can legitimately take credit for having the skill and attention to detail to use all of the tools to their ultimate capabilities.  I can pat myself on the back for my mastery of those skills.

And is that not what privately awarding a BBS rating to a shave is all about?
You combined two posts to make your point. 
I did say: "That's why daily shaving is so enjoyable. You get to start fresh every morning" But DID NOT say: "A BBS is more a natural product of correct technique and gear. Once you have those in order you won't be able to stop from having a BBS."
I stand by my statement, but do not---and won't take credit for the latter. Please be more careful when quoting people.

47 4,558
 07-11-2018, 09:07 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-11-2018, 02:50 AM)primotenore Wrote: You combined two posts to make your point. 
I did say: "That's why daily shaving is so enjoyable. You get to start fresh every morning" But DID NOT say: "A BBS is more a natural product of correct technique and gear. Once you have those in order you won't be able to stop from having a BBS."
I stand by my statement, but do not---and won't take credit for the latter. Please be more careful when quoting people.

Please accept my apologies for an inadvertent conflation.
Within the rather complex message editing mechanism for this forum, I regularly employ the rightmost option on the tool menu:  View source (ctrl+shift+s).  In so doing in the referenced reply, apparently, I redacted a bracketed /quote - quote pair, making it appear that a response to a previous message containing a quotation was of a piece with the message to which you responded.

Again, I am sorry for creating the misimpression.

1 1,252
 07-12-2018, 03:17 AM
User Info
(07-11-2018, 09:07 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 02:50 AM)primotenore Wrote: You combined two posts to make your point. 

Please accept my apologies for an inadvertent conflation.
Within the rather complex message editing mechanism for this forum, I regularly employ the rightmost option on the tool menu:  View source (ctrl+shift+s).  In so doing in the referenced reply, apparently, I redacted a bracketed /quote - quote pair, making it appear that a response to a previous message containing a quotation was of a piece with the message to which you responded.

Again, I am sorry for creating the misimpression.
Accepted, thank you. Back to BBS shaving...

47 4,558
 07-16-2018, 05:54 AM
User Info
Chasing the Baby, as I've seen it refereed to here or BBS, is for me an objective to just reach but not exceed as then there's irritation for what may be "too close" a shave.
I leave the BBS up to my Barber who wields a straight razor expertly, as I'm a chicken to attempt that, I'll leave it to the pros. 
Finding a DE blade and razor combo that works well, I'll make a note and will return to it regularly, like using Astra (Green) Superior Platinums in my non-adjustable Gillette TTO's.

I find more aggressive blades (Gillette Platinum & Silver Blues) seem to work best in the adjustable Gillette razors like the Model 195 (Fat Boy) and Slim.
I have a 1971 Black Beauty showing up in the post today, I believe it's a "short" Super-84 but it's hard to tell from the picture on eBay, either way it'll be nice.
I'm gifting my ex-GF today as well, she started wet shaving her legs, so only appropriate she have a suitable razor, a 1970 Lady Gillette and some good DE blades.

[Image: D96OMFr.jpg]

0 33