09-05-2012, 10:52 AM
User Info
This morning I reached into the miscellaneous blade box that I keep in my study and pulled out a box of Treet Classic blades that I had purchased sometime last year.

I loaded it into a Merkur HD, which along with a Gillette Slim is my default test razor for new blades and had one of those shaves that is simply amazing.

I normally start under my left sideburn while gently pulling the skin with my right hand and was rewarded with a very sharp blade, that seemingly was also very smooth.

Of course I realize that when we try a new blade we are naturally more careful, but for a moment I wondered if I was could feel the blade. Using Real Shave company Moisturizing cream (also a default test item), I had a SAS in one pass and an easy BBS in three passes plus touchup on the jawline.

I understand that this is a carbon steel blade, so I was careful to take the blade out of the razor and dry it with a towel. I'm interested to see how many shaves that I'll get out of the carbon blade.

Have any of you had experiences with Treet blades, Classic or otherwise?

[img][Image: treetclassic.jpg] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

3 452
 09-05-2012, 11:19 AM
User Info
I have used the following Treet blades:

Treet Double Edge - Dark red and yellow wrapper with white Treet logo. The blades are blued carbon steel.

Treet Dura Sharp - Silver colored carbon steel blade

Treet Platinum Super Stainless

Treet Dura Sharp Stainless

Trig Silver Edge Stainless

In the Merkur 34C, the Treet Platinum was reasonably good, the Dura Sharp Stainless OK and the carbon steel blades were horrible.

In the Edwin Jagger DE89L, the Dura Sharp carbon steel and Trigs gave the most comfortable shaves of any blades I have ever used. The Treet Double Edge gave reasonably good shaves, the Platinum Super Stainless worked quite well and the Dura Sharp Stainless was tolerable but not all that good.

0 303
 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Are the Treet carbon blades called "black beauties"

100 12,442
 09-05-2012, 12:12 PM
User Info
(09-05-2012, 11:46 AM)slantman Wrote: Are the Treet carbon blades called "black beauties"

Yes and if my experience with them was any thing to go by, they has a very sick sense of humour.............Dodgy..Biggrin

3 198
 09-05-2012, 02:49 PM
User Info
(09-05-2012, 11:46 AM)slantman Wrote: Are the Treet carbon blades called "black beauties"

Yet another forum nickname? That must be the Treet Double Edge carbon steel blades, which have a very dark blued appearance. The Treet Dura Sharp carbon steel blades are the typical silvery blade color.

0 303
 09-05-2012, 02:56 PM
  • madmedic
  • Resistance is Futile
  • Brecon UK
User Info
Don't think the Black beauties are made any more, The Durasharp carbon blades seem to be available in two types. One is packed in a yellow box and the other in a yellow box. The yellows have coated edges and are sharp and smooth. I believe the brown boxed blades are uncoated and not as smooth

1 561
 09-05-2012, 03:29 PM
User Info
I've used the Treet Classic blades and they are a very good blade IMO. All the foibles of carbon steel, but adjusting for that they're quite good.

32 6,309
 09-05-2012, 06:48 PM
User Info
i have never enjoyed the Treet blades. A bit too rough for me.
Enjoy them.

75 20,883
 09-05-2012, 10:34 PM
User Info
I believe treet is one of the few blades I have stopped using in the middle of a shave and thrown away.

4 309
 09-06-2012, 04:46 AM
User Info
Thanks all for your replies.

LOL - like so many aspects of shaving YMMV.
(09-05-2012, 11:19 AM)Tbone Wrote: I have used the following Treet blades:...

In the Merkur 34C, the Treet Platinum was reasonably good, the Dura Sharp Stainless OK and the carbon steel blades were horrible.

In the Edwin Jagger DE89L, the Dura Sharp carbon steel and Trigs gave the most comfortable shaves of any blades I have ever used. The Treet Double Edge gave reasonably good shaves, the Platinum Super Stainless worked quite well and the Dura Sharp Stainless was tolerable but not all that good.

Thanks Tbone for the great summary. I'll have to give the Dura-Sharp carbon and Trig's a try.

Funny, I used a Merkur 34 with my Treet Classics and that combination was phenomenal - as always YMMV. As of yet, I don't own a Edwin Jagger DE89L (but think it may be a good item to put on my Santa's list in a few months).

(09-05-2012, 02:56 PM)madmedic Wrote: Don't think the Black beauties are made any more, The Durasharp carbon blades seem to be available in two types. One is packed in a yellow box and the other in a yellow box. The yellows have coated edges and are sharp and smooth. I believe the brown boxed blades are uncoated and not as smooth

That was my understanding as well. The Black Beauties had their fans as well as their detractors. I understood that the Dura-Sharp carbon's were coated and replaced the blackened straight carbon blades.

So many blades, so little time.Rolleyes

3 452