06-04-2018, 08:06 AM
User Info
Over the weekend I stopped in an antique store in the neighborhood and spied a Rolls Razor complete with inner metal case and outer case, and included the original instructions.  The item looked to be in good condition and was priced at thirty-five dollars.  If it's still there in two weeks when my next paycheck is deposited to my account, I may get it.  Who has used one of these?

0 113
 06-04-2018, 08:54 AM
User Info
There were several versions of the Rolls Razor sets produced.  Some were high end; some were more mass-market, depending on materials.  They're interesting razor sets, but very commonly available.  Probably because they were popular gifts that got put into closets upon receipt.  By the time the Rolls came out, the disposable blade razors had come to dominate the market, and there wasn't much enthusiasm for a safety razor whose blade required honing and stropping.

If you are interested in the razor, I'd suggest doing a bit of research, figuring out which version this is, and looking at comps on completed auction sites.  Dozens are available at various price points, depending on which version it is and its condition.  The fact that this one has its instructions is nice, but quite common.  As I say, I think most Rolls Razors were lightly or never used, so there are lots of them available.

19 305
 06-04-2018, 09:21 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(06-04-2018, 08:54 AM)BrickHud Wrote: There were several versions of the Rolls Razor sets produced.  Some were high end; some were more mass-market, depending on materials.  They're interesting razor sets, but very commonly available.  Probably because they were popular gifts that got put into closets upon receipt.  By the time the Rolls came out, the disposable blade razors had come to dominate the market, and there wasn't much enthusiasm for a safety razor whose blade required honing and stropping.

If you are interested in the razor, I'd suggest doing a bit of research, figuring out which version this is, and looking at comps on completed auction sites.  Dozens are available at various price points, depending on which version it is and its condition.  The fact that this one has its instructions is nice, but quite common.  As I say, I think most Rolls Razors were lightly or never used, so there are lots of them available.

+1 - They are pretty easy to find with shippers, paperwork, etc.  Watch out for cracked hones & cut strops.  I have one that, mint with cardboard shipper, new blade, & paperwork ran $22 on the Bay awhile ago.  

As for actually using it - It shaves (like might be expected) similar to a GEM type SE, but it is hard to get that Rolls blade as sharp.  I only use it once every blue moon, and it requires study of the instructions each time to first get it up & running, then to put it away without futzing something up.  Fun to do once in a while, it would probably get old to use it every day .. in my opinion

50 535
 06-04-2018, 10:14 AM
User Info
Yeah, my interest in it is more to have a nice little collectible on my shelf than in actually using it.  The style is art deco, so I imagine it's from that era.  I didn't have the opportunity to examine it more closely to determine the year of production.

0 113
 06-04-2018, 12:59 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
I have maybe five or so.  I find it relaxing to condition the strop/stone and sharpen the blade.  They are indeed not as sharp as GEM blades when using the onboard strop/stone.  For fun I am going to send the blades out this summer to be pro honed.  They are truly a unique razor in everyway.  It would be a fun experience for you to try one.

0 293