06-05-2018, 06:39 AM
  • DaveL
  • Houston, Texas
User Info
Hello all, I have three AC razors, Asylum Rx, ATT SE1 and SE2. I've been using Feather Artist Club Professional Blades, Kai Captain Titan milds and Schick P30 blades. The SE2 chews me up pretty badly and for now I have it set aside. The Rx has given me super close two pass shaves but at the cost of weepers and razor burn. The SE1 I've had good luck with all three brands of blades.

Would the use of the Feather and Kai guard blades make the Rx and SE2 easier on my face? I'd like to get some opinions before buying the blades.

Thanks

2 135
 06-05-2018, 06:57 AM
User Info
IMHO, not. Tried Feather Pro Guard blades in all three mentioned razors without better results. Still prefer Schick and Kai Titan Mild.

13 394
 06-05-2018, 09:52 AM
User Info
They should help.  When I first started using my Feather AC razor, I used the ProGuard blades and never cut myself with them.  I also felt like the shave wasnt as close as I got with the Feather Pro blades though.

0 99
 06-05-2018, 10:25 AM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
The Asylum RX and ATT SE2 are two of my favorite razors. I've found the guard blades from both Feather and Kai work best in the RX; non-guarded blades are a bit too harsh. In the SE2, I generally use Feather Pro Supers, but all the other non-guarded blades from Feather, Kai and Proline work well too.

10 560
 06-05-2018, 10:26 AM
User Info
My personal experience is that the Guard blades work a little too well, compromising the quality of shave, while making weepers much less likely.

The combination of Asylum Rx and Guard blade is intriguing, but I've never tried it.  The Asylym Rx is one dangerous implement if I'm not paying attention.

I say get a pack and try them in razors you'd like to bite less.  For a few bucks, you may unlock the pleasure (to you) of using those fine razors you mentioned.  Cheaper than selling the razors at a loss.

19 309
 06-05-2018, 12:58 PM
  • Asafiev
  • Lancaster, PA
User Info
Proguards are my favorite blade, worth trying in my opinion.

0 298
 06-05-2018, 02:07 PM
  • lfs70
  • Virginia
User Info
The Cobra Classic is the only razor that I have found the Feather Pro Gaurds to work well with.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

84 488
 06-05-2018, 04:02 PM
  • DaveL
  • Houston, Texas
User Info
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll buy a pack of proguards and see what happens.

2 135
 06-05-2018, 04:51 PM
User Info
(06-05-2018, 04:02 PM)DaveL Wrote: Thanks for the replies. I think I'll buy a pack of proguards and see what happens.

Yup, worth trying. For myself I did feel a difference, but I prefer the greater blade-feel of the Pro Supers and Schick Prolines. You may feel a difference and like it. Even with the guards, though, you still have to be very careful for the first couple of shaves, because the blade under that guard is super-sharp -- significantly thinner than the unguarded blades! (See chart below.) "Zero pressure" applies.

[Image: x9edBeOl.jpg]

0 146
 07-15-2018, 04:07 PM
User Info
In the Asylum Rx they certainly make a difference! I found that the Kai Pro Touch work best for my face in the Rx. As a matter of fact, they are absolutely incredible when paired with Stirling Shave Soap! I am going to have to do a review of the almond creme...what a beautiful thing, and only 13 bucks for approximately 5.5 ounces!!!

13 537
 07-15-2018, 04:20 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(07-15-2018, 04:07 PM)Ols67 Wrote: In the Asylum Rx they certainly make a difference! I found that the Kai Pro Touch work best for my face in the Rx. As a matter of fact, they are absolutely incredible when paired with Stirling Shave Soap! I am going to have to do a review of the almond creme...what a beautiful thing, and only 13 bucks for approximately 5.5 ounces!!!

Glad they’re working for you! The Kai Protouch MGs are the blade of choice in my Asylum RX. My other AC razors prefer the Feather Pro Supers.

10 560
 07-16-2018, 08:04 AM
User Info
(06-05-2018, 06:39 AM)DaveL Wrote: Would the use of the Feather and Kai guard blades make the Rx and SE2 easier on my face? I'd like to get some opinions before buying the blades.

Thanks

Yes! The Kai guarded blades really tame the SE2, but it turns it into the SE1 with a Proline, which is not worth it for me.

The more I use the SE2 with a Proline, the better I get with it and it's much more efficient than with the guarded blade or the SE1/Proline. I don't need more than the SE1/Proline though, it's perfect.

Using the SE2 or the RX with a Proline requires a better, str8 razor like technique. The SE1/Proline is easier to use.

0 93
 07-17-2018, 04:43 PM
User Info
I have used the Proguards as my blade of choice when trying a new razor. Once I feel like I have a good handle on the angle and feel of the razor I have switched to Prolines as an easy transition. Currently my only 2 SE's are the Rx & the Cobra Classic, I really like the small maneuverable heads on these 2

17 314
 07-17-2018, 05:00 PM
User Info
I wish someone would make a razor like the vintage Weck that uses hair shaper blades. That's absolutely my favorite blade and razor. It's an open comb but the comb is very long. Those blades, the two brands I've tried from Sally Beauty at least, are spectacular. Rigid and smooth. Very sharp and efficient too. The Weck surgical prep razor is as rare as hen's teeth though.

I have yet to try an Artist Club guarded blade. I have so much gear and only one face.

11 1,619
 07-18-2018, 02:03 AM
User Info
I like using Proguards in my CJB shavette, the Korean knockoff of the Feather AC.

10 1,048
 07-18-2018, 03:51 PM
User Info
(07-17-2018, 05:00 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: I wish someone would make a razor like the vintage Weck that uses hair shaper blades. That's absolutely my favorite blade and razor.

I have my eye out for one of those, until then, my ATT SE1 with a Schick Proline will have to do!

0 93