06-05-2018, 08:45 AM
User Info
Sort of.  Recently our car was rear-ended at a red light, causing "minor" damage that is going to cost over $1500 to repair.  I was told by the repair shop that I would have a $250 insurance deductible to pay, decreased from the regular $500 collision deductible of my policy because I wasn't at fault for the damage.  That didn't seem right to me: why should I have to pay anything?  Shouldn't the other driver's insurance pay the whole cost?  So I contacted my insurance company, and the agent handling the claim told me he would waive the deductible "this time only."

Also recently, I returned a book to our local library but was subsequently told that the book was shown as lost, and I was charged a $25 replacement fee - for a paperback novel.  I had kept a receipt showing how many items I returned on the date in question, and although it did not give the individual book titles, it suggested that I had indeed returned the book.  When I made it clear that I was never going to pay the unjust charge, a librarian at the downtown library headquarters admitted that they might have misplace the book themselves, cancelled the fine, and wiped my record clean.

So the moral is: always ask.  Don't just accept stated conditions.  Insurance companies and libraries, like virtually all businesses, have the latitude to grant exceptions to rules and conditions.

221 12,940
 06-05-2018, 08:57 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Did the other guy have the same insurance company as you did?  If not, why was your insurance company paying anything?

181 25,142
 06-05-2018, 09:09 AM
User Info
I would call the insurance company.  You generally don't have to pay for accidents when you are not at fault and there is a slight chance the shop is trying to pocket the money.

0 364
 06-05-2018, 10:21 AM
User Info
(06-05-2018, 08:57 AM)Johnny Wrote: Did the other guy have the same insurance company as you did?  If not, why was your insurance company paying anything?

Johnny, it may have been a subrogation issue.  If the other driver was at fault, and the OP's insurance company pays, the OP's insurance company is "subrogated" to the claim of the OP, meaning the insurance company has the right to recover from the other driver (or the other driver's insurance company) in place of the OP.

But my question to the OP is:  Why did you present it to your insurance company at all?  The normal practice is to deal with the other person (who was at fault) and his insurance company, who should pay for the repair (and an amount for "loss of use" of your vehicle while it's being repaired) with no "deductible".  Your insurance company would pay only if the other guy (or insurer) would not for some reason.

But I agree with your general point:  It never hurts to ask for what you want.  Policies can be more flexible than they let on.  If you are polite about it, customer service-minded people on the other end really do want the customer to be happy if they can make it happen without getting into trouble.

19 309
 06-05-2018, 11:22 AM
User Info
(06-05-2018, 10:21 AM)BrickHud Wrote: [quote pid='871734' dateline='1528217825']

But my question to the OP is:  Why did you present it to your insurance company at all?  The normal practice is to deal with the other person (who was at fault) and his insurance company, who should pay for the repair (and an amount for "loss of use" of your vehicle while it's being repaired) with no "deductible".  Your insurance company would pay only if the other guy (or insurer) would not for some reason.

[/quote]

I guess I was just ignorant.  I've only had a couple accidents in my life, and my assumption recently was that I needed to report the incident to my insurance company in order to get - indirectly - the payment from the other guy's company.  I wasn't aware that I could deal directly with his company.

221 12,940
 06-05-2018, 12:16 PM
User Info
I have had a few non fault accidents and called my insurance company.  they handled the entire thing.  THey will sort it out i'm sure

0 364
 06-05-2018, 12:30 PM
User Info
So, since I saved $250, I guess I need to buy more shaving gear...

221 12,940
 06-05-2018, 03:35 PM
User Info
(06-05-2018, 12:30 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: So, since I saved $250, I guess I need to buy more shaving gear...

Now that is the RIGHT attitude!

Dave

1 142
 06-05-2018, 04:21 PM
User Info
(06-05-2018, 12:30 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: So, since I saved $250, I guess I need to buy more shaving gear...

Thumbup

1 169
 06-05-2018, 08:12 PM
  • DannyZ
  • Harker Heights, TX
User Info
My philosophy is to find the "yes man".  The power to say no is minimal and granted to many people in an organization.  The ability to say yes and make authoritative decisions is where real power lies.

1 89
 06-06-2018, 12:52 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(06-05-2018, 08:12 PM)DannyZ Wrote: My philosophy is to find the "yes man".  The power to say no is minimal and granted to many people in an organization.  The ability to say yes and make authoritative decisions is where real power lies.

excellent post.

174 1,601